|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gardner say was known to arrive at a party and sit for ten minutes or more staring at guests and not answering when people addressed him in Chapter1?
2. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
3. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
4. What author does Gardner remark has a bad habit of breaking the vivid and continuous dream by pouring on the rhetoric in Chapter 1?
5. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner open Chapter 3 with, regarding the young writer's focus on publication?
2. What does Gardner write of the struggles with language an author may face in Chapter 4? What does he say of dialect?
3. What does Gardner say of the process of breaking down a novel in Chapter 4?
4. What does Gardner write of Nabokov in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
6. What is the second indicator of talent that Gardner discusses in Chapter 1? What author does he cite in this?
7. What does Gardner say in regard to literary dynasties and writing workshops in Chapter 2?
8. What does Gardner remark of the author's sense of observation in Chapter 1?
9. What does Gardner remark about theme in Chapter 1?
10. What should the successful teacher do for his writing students, according to Gardner?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Gardner refers to as "special intelligence" in the writer. How does Gardner's definition of intelligence differ from the dictionary definition?
Essay Topic 2
What does Gardner mean in Chapter 1 when he refers to "verbal sensitivity"? What does this phrase mean and not mean to the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gardner's thoughts on William Faulkner. What does Gardner write about his use of dialect and language? Does he regard Faulkner as great? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)