|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states that in the works of Shakespeare, language always serves character and what?
2. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
3. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(a) "To Have and Have Not."
(b) "Blackberry Winter."
(d) "Last of the Mohicans."
4. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
5. Which philosopher maintained that nothing a writer writes means anything, "all the words are a lunatic blithering," since all language is by nature false and misleading?
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
2. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
3. Gardner refers to boring, worn out language as being what kind of mask?
4. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
5. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner say of "recognizing the significant" in Chapter 1?
2. What hypothetical situation does Gardner uses as an example of plot in Chapter 1?
3. Where did Gardner learn his method of writing?
4. What does Gardner relate about the "author's character" in Chapter 1? How does he describe "special intelligence?"
5. What authors does Gardner use to illustrate language and character in Chapter 1?
6. Who does Gardner refer to as the "best" novelists in Chapter 1? What lesson does he cite of them?
7. What is the "moronic setup" that Gardner relates in Chapter 1?
8. What does Gardner suggest as ways to understand the psychology of characters unlike themselves?
9. What does Gardner say in Chapter 1 regarding "verbal sensitivity?" What does this term mean?
10. What does Gardner remark about theme in Chapter 1?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)