|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is, according to Gardner, the one quality in fiction that cannot be faked?
2. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(a) "The Dead."
(c) "Finnegan's Wake."
(d) "The Wall."
3. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
(d) Story line.
4. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
5. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(b) "Last of the Mohicans."
(c) "Blackberry Winter."
(d) "To Have and Have Not."
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
2. Gardner suggests the young writer get a first-rate freshman composition book such as An American Rhetoric by whom?
3. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that all writing requires some measure of a ____ state.
4. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
5. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gardner define "setting," "plot," and "theme" in Chapter 1?
2. What does Gardner write of Nabokov in Chapter 1?
3. How does Gardner describe traditional plot, victim stories, and "epiphany stories?"
4. What does Gardner write about showy language in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner suggest as ways to understand the psychology of characters unlike themselves?
6. What does Gardner say in Chapter 1 regarding "verbal sensitivity?" What does this term mean?
7. Where did Gardner learn his method of writing?
8. What state does good fiction elicit in the reader, according to Gardner?
9. What does Gardner remark about theme in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 1, what does Gardner say the most common question of the aspiring writer is to him? What is the response?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)