|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
2. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Clifford Odets.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Herman Melville.
3. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
4. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) James Fenway.
(b) David Wellesley.
(c) Lennis Dunlap.
(d) Michael Ewing.
5. What author does Gardner remark has a persistent mean streak in his writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
2. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
3. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
4. Who wrote Divine Comedy?
5. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner say in Chapter 1 regarding "verbal sensitivity?" What does this term mean?
2. What does Gardner write about showy language in Chapter 1?
3. How does the young author learn technique through reading others?
4. How does Gardner define "setting," "plot," and "theme" in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner remark of the author's sense of observation in Chapter 1?
6. What state does good fiction elicit in the reader, according to Gardner?
7. What hypothetical situation does Gardner uses as an example of plot in Chapter 1?
8. What essential things must an aspiring author understand in order to pursue writing?
9. What authors does Gardner use to illustrate language and character in Chapter 1?
10. How does Gardner explain characterization and story through his hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)