|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
2. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Clifford Odets.
(c) Herman Melville.
(d) William Shakespeare.
3. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
4. Gardner compares Melville's Moby Dick with what in Chapter 1?
(a) To Have and Have Not.
(b) Anna Karanina.
5. In what novel does Levin propose to Kitty, as cited in Chapter 1?
(a) Anna Karenina.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) Nicholas Nickleby.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what novel does Gardner note the rooftop scene as being one of surprise in Chapter 1?
2. What does Gardner say we call a writer who has less feeling for his characters than we feel they deserve?
3. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
4. Gardner notes in Chapter 1 that Mercutio's madness is fantastic and what?
5. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner illustrate using the example of the poem in Chapter 4?
2. Why must a teacher avoid projecting their aesthetic view on writers?
3. What essential things must an aspiring author understand in order to pursue writing?
4. What does Gardner say of supporting oneself as a writer in Chapter 3?
5. How does Gardner suggest "building up" oneself to writing novels in Chapter 4?
6. What does Gardner say in Chapter 1 regarding "verbal sensitivity?" What does this term mean?
7. What does Gardner write about showy language in Chapter 1?
8. In Chapter 1, what does Gardner say the most common question of the aspiring writer is to him? What is the response?
9. What is the "moronic setup" that Gardner relates in Chapter 1?
10. What hypothetical situation does Gardner uses as an example of plot in Chapter 1?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)