|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Darby.
(b) Mr. Wolverton.
(c) Mr. Bryg.
(d) Mr. Rochester.
2. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
3. What name does Gardner assign to the teenage daughter whose unknown father moves next door in Chapter 1?
4. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
5. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(b) Verbal sensitivity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
2. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
3. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
4. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
5. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner write about showy language in Chapter 1?
2. Who does Gardner refer to as the "best" novelists in Chapter 1? What lesson does he cite of them?
3. What does Gardner suggest as ways to understand the psychology of characters unlike themselves?
4. How does Gardner define "setting," "plot," and "theme" in Chapter 1?
5. How does Gardner describe traditional plot, victim stories, and "epiphany stories?"
6. What does Gardner say of "recognizing the significant" in Chapter 1?
7. What is the "moronic setup" that Gardner relates in Chapter 1?
8. What is the second indicator of talent that Gardner discusses in Chapter 1? What author does he cite in this?
9. How does Gardner explain characterization and story through his hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
10. What does Gardner assert of the author learning character through television in Chapter 1?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)