|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gardner states that in the works of Shakespeare, language always serves character and what?
2. Who is one of the writers Gardner notes in Chapter 1 as having both a fine ear for language and also a fascination with the materials?
3. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
4. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
5. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
2. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
3. The two things that keep the common reader turning the pages, according to Gardner are story or what?
4. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
5. Which author does Gardner state had "gazelle eyes" which dominated the room in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gardner assert of the author learning character through television in Chapter 1?
2. What is the second indicator of talent that Gardner discusses in Chapter 1? What author does he cite in this?
3. How does the young author learn technique through reading others?
4. How does Gardner define "setting," "plot," and "theme" in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner say of "recognizing the significant" in Chapter 1?
6. What does Gardner write of expressing characters' emotions in Chapter 1?
7. What does Gardner remark of the author's sense of observation in Chapter 1?
8. What state does good fiction elicit in the reader, according to Gardner?
9. What does Gardner write of Nabokov in Chapter 1?
10. Who does Gardner refer to as the "best" novelists in Chapter 1? What lesson does he cite of them?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)