|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
2. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
3. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
4. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
5. The two things that keep the common reader turning the pages, according to Gardner are story or what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
2. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
3. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
4. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
5. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that if one studies with whom, does he learn that Shakespeare is better than Mickey Spillane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is writing usually rejected, according to Gardner?
2. What does Gardner say of "recognizing the significant" in Chapter 1?
3. What does Gardner write of expressing characters' emotions in Chapter 1?
4. What does Gardner say of finding support for the author in Chapter 3?
5. How does Gardner suggest "building up" oneself to writing novels in Chapter 4?
6. Why must a teacher avoid projecting their aesthetic view on writers?
7. Where does the author find faith, according to Gardner in Chapter 4?
8. How does Gardner explain characterization and story through his hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
9. What does Gardner say regarding the study of philosophy and psychology?
10. What does Gardner say in the beginning of Chapter 2 regarding author education and state funding?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)