|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
2. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
3. What psychologist suggests that Jack and the Beanstalk is about penis envy?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Bruno Bettelheim.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Madison Thomas.
4. Who is one of the writers Gardner notes in Chapter 1 as having both a fine ear for language and also a fascination with the materials?
5. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
2. Of what author does Gardner say his heroes are clown-heroes knocked around by the universe?
3. What author does Gardner say was known to arrive at a party and sit for ten minutes or more staring at guests and not answering when people addressed him in Chapter1?
4. What does Gardner compare to the floors and structural supports in a fine old mansion in Chapter 1?
5. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young author learn technique through reading others?
2. What does Gardner say of writers with "bad taste" in language in Chapter 1?
3. What does Gardner say of "recognizing the significant" in Chapter 1?
4. What does Gardner write of Nabokov in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner remark of the author's sense of observation in Chapter 1?
6. What does Gardner remark about theme in Chapter 1?
7. In Chapter 1, what does Gardner say the most common question of the aspiring writer is to him? What is the response?
8. What state does good fiction elicit in the reader, according to Gardner?
9. What does Gardner write of expressing characters' emotions in Chapter 1?
10. How does Gardner define "setting," "plot," and "theme" in Chapter 1?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)