|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
(a) James Fenway.
(b) David Wellesley.
(c) Michael Ewing.
(d) Lennis Dunlap.
2. What kind of intelligence does Gardner say is important to the writer in Chapter 1?
3. Gardner refers to boring, worn out language as being what kind of mask?
4. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Harlan Ellison.
(b) Franz Kafka.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut.
5. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
2. Gardner writes in Chapter 1 that if one studies with whom, does he learn that Shakespeare is better than Mickey Spillane?
3. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
4. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
5. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "moronic setup" that Gardner relates in Chapter 1?
2. What state does good fiction elicit in the reader, according to Gardner?
3. What does Gardner remark of the author's sense of observation in Chapter 1?
4. What does Gardner write about showy language in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gardner relate about the "author's character" in Chapter 1? How does he describe "special intelligence?"
6. What does Gardner write of Nabokov in Chapter 1?
7. Where did Gardner learn his method of writing?
8. How does the young author learn technique through reading others?
9. What does Gardner suggest as ways to understand the psychology of characters unlike themselves?
10. How does Gardner explain characterization and story through his hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)