|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Faith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
(a) "Definitely no."
(b) "Definitely yet."
(c) "God only knows."
(d) "You'll know in time."
2. Gardner cites a passage from which of his novels in discussing the poem in Chapter 4?
(a) The King's Indian.
(b) October Light.
(d) In the Suicide Mountains.
3. Faulkner writes with a distinctly what dialect?
4. Which magazine does Gardner refer to as elegant and rather timid, perfect for selling clothes and fine china?
(a) The Atlantic.
(b) The New York Times Book Review.
(c) The Oxford Journal.
(d) The New Yorker.
5. Who is the author of Death in Venice?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Clifford Odets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what novel does Gardner note the rooftop scene as being one of surprise in Chapter 1?
2. Gardner writes of his poem in Chapter 4 as one which began about a what?
3. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
4. Hypersensitivity, stubbornness, and what are traits that make one want to be a writer and can also get in the way?
5. Gardner claims in Chapter 3 that rejection by an agent means more than rejection by a what?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)