|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Faith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
2. Which author wrote A Tale of Two Cities?
3. Who wrote Bartelby the Scrivener?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Thomas Mann.
4. Gardner defines writing as a "____, like learning to ride a bicycle."
5. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
(a) Truman Capote.
(b) Stanley Elkin.
(c) Joyce Carol Oates.
(d) Bernard Malamud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner writes that authors are almost never satisfied with the ____ job their publishers do.
2. When inhibitions end in writer's block, it is a failure of what?
3. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
4. Who developed the style of the "epiphany story" in The Dubliners?
5. A writer must always start with a careful what?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)