|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Faith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the writer's conference where Gardner has frequently worked with writing assistants?
(a) Bread Loaf.
(b) Last Dinner.
(d) Silver Mountain.
2. Who was the first editor to take interest in Gardner's work?
(a) James Growder.
(b) Jack Smith.
(c) Bob Gottlieb.
(d) Gerald Kimble.
3. In Chapter 2, what does Gardner say the world has far more than it needs?
(d) Writing teachers.
4. Who does Gardner say one can be fooled by the nature of imagining that the best way to become a writer is to be a seaman or a lumberjack?
(a) Thomas Pinchon.
(b) Jack London.
(c) Jack Frost.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
5. Which manuscript did Gardner send out which got a reply suggesting he cut it by a third?
(a) The Sunlight Dialogues.
(b) The Wreckage of Agathon.
(d) The Resurrection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gardner say that the question of "do you write with a pen, a typewriter, or what?" is really talking about?
2. In what novel does Gardner note the rooftop scene as being one of surprise in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that the "true young novelist has the stamina, patience, and single-mindedness of a" what?
4. Gardner states in Chapter 2 that the first value of a writer's workshop is that it makes the young writer feel not abnormal but what?
5. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that writing, "like the study of classical piano, is not practical but _____."
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)