|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Publication and Survival.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did David Segal go after New American Library?
(d) Simon and Schuster.
2. Gardner writes in Chapter 2 that in a bad workshop, the teacher allows or even encourages what?
(b) Bad spelling.
(d) Bad grammar.
3. Who wrote Bartelby the Scrivener?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Thomas Mann.
4. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
5. What are the long pages from the typesetter, marked up by the proofreader for typographical errors?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Gardner writes that writing, "like the study of classical piano, is not practical but _____."
2. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
3. Where did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California from?
4. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
5. Who is the author of Piers Plowman?
This section contains 150 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)