|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Writer's Training and Education.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gardner claim is helpful, if it can be kept in partial control, to keep the novelist driven?
(a) A tendency to drink.
(b) A tendency to prove himself.
(c) A need for love.
(d) A psychological wound.
2. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) New York University.
(c) Oberlin College.
(d) DePaul University.
3. What does Gardner say that good fiction starts off in the reader's head?
(a) A continuous dream.
(b) An addiction.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A hunger for more.
4. Of which writer does Gardner say, "the brilliant language with which he describes a minor character cannot help but suggest that the words he chooses are more important to him than the token secretary behind the desk"?
(a) Dylan Thomas.
(b) John Updike.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) William Faulkner.
5. What does Gardner compare to the floors and structural supports in a fine old mansion in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose disguise in Jane Eyre does Gardner comment on as surprising in Chapter 1?
2. What experimental writer does Gardner mention having been moved and delighted by in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the man who moves next door to his teenage daughter in Gardner's hypothetical story in Chapter 1?
4. What magazine does Gardner suggest for good literary work in Chapter 1?
5. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)