|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Writer's Training and Education.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author does Gardner say has a style at parties to take to the floor at any cost, telling funny stories?
(a) Bernard Malamud.
(b) Truman Capote.
(c) Stanley Elkin.
(d) Joyce Carol Oates.
2. In Chapter 1, Gardner states that "In a literary culture where the very notion of a 'masterpiece' is commonly thought" what?
3. What word does Gardner use to mean a phrase is worn out and overused?
4. Who wrote Bartelby the Scrivener?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) James Joyce.
5. Who is the author of Crime and Punishment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the great graduate programs for writers that Gardner refers to in Chapter 2?
2. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
3. Which sci-fi author wrote A Canticle for Liebowitz?
4. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
5. What author responded to the question of why she wrote fiction, "Because I'm good at it"?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)