|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 1-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(b) Verbal sensitivity.
2. Gardner states that in the works of Shakespeare, language always serves character and what?
3. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes, "Though there are exceptions, as a rule the good novelist does not worry primarily about ____ brilliance."
4. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Kurt Vonnegut.
(b) Harlan Ellison.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Franz Kafka.
5. Gardner claims he has been happy writing since the age of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
2. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
3. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
4. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
5. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
This section contains 177 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)