|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 1-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Gardner writes that one is unable to write for everyone, "try to win the audience both of Saul Bellow and" whom?
(a) Stephen King.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Anton Chekhov.
2. Who wrote Finnegan's Wake?
3. What story of Robert Penn Warren's did Raymond Carver read in Gardner's class at Chico State College?
(b) "Last of the Mohicans."
(c) "To Have and Have Not."
(d) "Blackberry Winter."
4. Which title does Raymond Carver say is the only one he recalls of John Gardner's manuscripts in the Forward?
(a) The King's Indian.
(c) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(d) Nickel Mountain.
5. What author of Over the Edge does Gardner cite in Chapter 1?
(a) Franz Kafka.
(b) Harlan Ellison.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
2. What did Garner always wear, according to Raymond Carver in the Forward?
3. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
4. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
5. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)