|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 1-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had John Gardner taught before Chico State College?
(a) DePaul University.
(b) University of Ohio.
(c) Oberlin College.
(d) New York University.
2. What is one of the philosophers who has maintained that words inevitably distance us from the brute existence, according to Gardner in Chapter 1?
3. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
(b) "The Dead."
(c) "Finnegan's Wake."
(d) "The Wall."
4. Gardner suggests that the dazzling poetry of Mercutio's Queen Mab speech is not the same poetry that who speaks?
5. What was Gardner's first wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
2. What year did Raymond Carver move to Chico, California?
3. Gardner suggests the young writer get a first-rate freshman composition book such as An American Rhetoric by whom?
4. Gardner claims he has been happy writing since the age of what?
5. With what older colleague did Gardner publish an anthology of fiction at Chico College?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)