|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Faith.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The magic moment in writing, Gardner says, creates what in the writer?
(c) An addiction.
2. What painter does Gardner remark in Chapter 1 never sold a painting in his life?
(c) Van Gogh.
3. Gardner defines writing as a "____, like learning to ride a bicycle."
4. Which author went to Paris and studied with one of the shrewdest writers, Gertrude Stein?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Stephen Crane.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
5. What does Gardner say "breeds success" in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the honest answer to the question most young writer's ask of "Do I have what it takes to be a writer?" according to Gardner?
2. Gardner cites a passage from which of his novels in discussing the poem in Chapter 4?
3. What does Gardner say that the question of "do you write with a pen, a typewriter, or what?" is really talking about?
4. Gardner states that the effective writer leads the reader into a continuous what?
5. Where did David Segal go after New American Library?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)