|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, The Writer's Nature, Pages 34-72.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of The Turn of the Screw?
(a) Henry Melville.
(b) Dylan Thomas.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Henry James.
2. What anthology of fiction did Gardner publish with a colleague at Chico College?
(a) Dragon, Dragon, and Other Tales.
(b) The Forms of Fiction.
(c) The Life and Times of Chaucer.
(d) The Complete Works of the Gawain Poet.
3. Who wrote Sister Carrie and An American Tragedy?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Raymond Carver.
(c) Theodore Dreiser.
(d) William Faulkner.
4. What is the first thing that Gardner states a writer needs to have in Chapter 1?
(d) Verbal sensitivity.
5. What does Gardner state in Chapter 1 that we call a writer who cares more for language than the other elements of fiction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gardner states in Chapter 1 that Canterbury Tales is a disguised what?
2. What author does Gardner say has a deep misanthropic mistrust in Chapter 1?
3. In what novel does Levin propose to Kitty, as cited in Chapter 1?
4. To whose poetry and prose had Gardner made allusions to in the novel Grendel?
5. What masterpiece of James Joyce does Gardner suggest typing out for language growth in Chapter 1?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)