|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Euripides describe in detail?
(a) Assembly halls.
2. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(a) Ugly people.
3. What did Andreas write about?
4. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to see if it exists.
(b) They want to become beautiful.
(c) They want to add it to the world.
(d) They want to lighten their load.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
2. Who says that beauty puts us in touch with our bodies?
3. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
4. What is NOT always found with beauty?
5. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
2. What is the double meaning of fairness?
3. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
4. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
5. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
6. How does Scarry end this book?
7. What does Scarry say about gardens?
8. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
9. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
10. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)