|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
(a) They are unfounded.
(b) They are contradictory.
(c) They are half truths.
(d) They are showing their weaknesses.
2. What is the second phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Baroque writers.
(b) Contemporary writers.
(c) Mid-Century writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
3. What country did the contemporary writer tell about?
4. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
(a) National potential.
(b) Personal potential.
(c) Global potential.
(d) Human potential.
5. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
2. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
3. What does Scarry say a bad vase lends value to?
4. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
5. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
2. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
3. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
4. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
5. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
6. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
7. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
8. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
9. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
10. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)