|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
(a) The rain.
(b) The sky.
(c) The clouds.
(d) The weather.
2. What is NOT always found with beauty?
3. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
(a) That which charms us and that which moves us.
(b) That which motivates us and that which holds us back.
(c) That which feels natural and that which feels foreign.
(d) That which compels us and that which calms us.
4. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
2. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
4. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
5. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the double meaning of fairness?
2. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
3. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
4. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
5. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
6. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
7. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
8. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
9. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
10. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)