|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
2. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
(a) One idea havign six faces.
(b) Opposing sides making a whole.
(c) Being well rounded.
(d) Symmetry with exclusion.
3. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
(a) They are unfounded.
(b) They are contradictory.
(c) They are showing their weaknesses.
(d) They are half truths.
4. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want to distract themselves.
(b) They want a purpose.
(c) They want to see if it exists.
(d) They want to own it.
5. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
2. What led to beauty being trapped in a particular realm?
3. What does beauty give us access to do?
4. What does beauty urge people to do in a good way?
5. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
2. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
3. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
4. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
5. What does Scarry say about gardens?
6. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
7. How does Scarry end this book?
8. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
9. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
10. What is the double meaning of fairness?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)