|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The love between others.
(b) The care of all.
(c) The replication of beauty.
(d) The creation of more.
2. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
(a) It was useless.
(b) It was distracting.
(c) It was unfairly distributed.
(d) It was destructive.
3. What is an important part of Scarry's ideal world?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The rain.
(c) The weather.
(d) The sky.
4. Scarry's doubtful friend agreed with the idea that ________________.
(a) Beauty brought about good.
(b) People were better with beauty.
(c) Beauty and justice needed balance.
(d) People needed beauty to survive.
5. What is NOT always found with beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
2. What specific plat type does Scarry refer to when talking about gardens?
3. What is different about the searches for beauty than other searches?
4. What is every person seeking?
5. What do unharmed poems prove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about gardens?
2. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
3. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
4. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
5. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
6. How does Scarry end this book?
7. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
8. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
9. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
10. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)