|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
(a) It lowers the standards.
(b) It allows the maker practice.
(c) It doesn't detract from beauty.
(d) It provides opposition.
2. What concept did Edmund Burke write about?
(a) The caste system.
(b) The equality.
(c) The Utopia.
(d) The sublime.
3. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
(a) It is plausible.
(b) It is incoherent.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) It is ineffective.
4. What is different about the searches for beauty than other searches?
(a) People want to share beauty.
(b) People cannot build beauty.
(c) People are not distracted by beauty.
(d) People don't ever find beauty.
5. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
(a) Religious Practices.
(b) Academic Conversations.
(c) Political Campaigns.
(d) Main stream media.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. What does Scarry say confirms the life of gardens?
3. What is a God impervious to according to Scarry?
4. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
2. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
3. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
4. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
5. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
6. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
7. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
8. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
9. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
10. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)