|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is negative about the widespread definition of beauty?
(a) It is not given credit for its good.
(b) It is marked by what it cannot do.
(c) It is not detailed enough.
(d) It is too detailed.
2. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
(d) All of these.
3. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
(b) Family life.
4. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
(a) None of these.
(b) Religious implications.
(c) Legal implication.
(d) Moral implications.
5. Beauty was demoted from ______________.
(a) The arts.
(b) The natural man.
(c) The sublime.
(d) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty is compacted with ______________.
2. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
3. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
5. How does a bad vase give value to something else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
2. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
3. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
4. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
5. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
6. What does Scarry say about gardens?
7. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
8. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
9. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
10. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)