|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
2. What comes from perfect justice?
(a) Perfect rendering.
(b) Perfect beauty.
(c) Perfect equality.
(d) Perfect creation.
3. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
4. What is the second phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(a) Contemporary writers.
(b) Mid-Century writers.
(c) Baroque writers.
(d) Classic philosophers.
5. What was the profession of the friend of Scarry's who doubted her ideas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
2. What does an onlooker of beauty often wish?
3. What symbolizes social justice for Scarry?
4. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
5. Who says that beauty removes us from our bodies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
2. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
3. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
4. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
5. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
6. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
7. How does Scarry end this book?
8. What did Augustine say all people sought after?
9. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
10. What is the double meaning of fairness?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)