|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
(a) It is ineffective.
(b) It is incoherent.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) It is plausible.
2. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
(a) The creation of more.
(b) The love between others.
(c) The care of all.
(d) The replication of beauty.
3. What does beauty unseen improve?
(a) Our self interest.
(b) The mystery of the world.
(c) God's love.
(d) The possibilities of the next generation.
4. Why do people seek out beauty?
(a) They want to become beautiful.
(b) They want to see if it exists.
(c) They want to lighten their load.
(d) They want to add it to the world.
5. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
(a) They want to see if it exists.
(b) They want a purpose.
(c) They want to distract themselves.
(d) They want to own it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Scarry salute?
2. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
3. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
4. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
5. What is the final phase used to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
2. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
3. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
4. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
5. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
6. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
7. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
8. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
9. What does Scarry say about gardens?
10. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)