|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
2. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. Why do some people claim beauty is not earned?
(a) Some people don't desire it.
(b) Some people are born with it.
(c) It is too easily obtained.
(d) It is too subjective.
4. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
5. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Euripides describe in detail?
2. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
3. What classic philosopher did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
4. What is the first of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
2. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
3. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
4. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
5. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
6. What does Scarry say about gardens?
7. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
8. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
9. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
10. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)