|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
(a) The Dream.
(b) The Real.
(c) The Imaginative.
(d) The Literary.
2. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
3. How are the complaints lodged against beauty described?
(d) All of these.
4. What baroque writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
(c) None of these.
5. Who said that all things aspire to equality?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
2. What is the normal distinction between beauty and deity?
3. What can never be harmful?
4. Plato said the beauty of one could lead to ____________.
5. What did Andreas write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
2. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
3. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
4. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
5. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
6. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
7. What does Scarry always include in her writing and why?
8. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
9. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
10. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)