|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many phases does Scarry use to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
2. What is a God impervious to according to Scarry?
(d) Harm from humans.
3. What implications are investigated in the section on being fair?
(a) Legal implication.
(b) Moral implications.
(c) None of these.
(d) Religious implications.
4. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
(a) They are showing their weaknesses.
(b) They are half truths.
(c) They are unfounded.
(d) They are contradictory.
5. What is the first kind of perception described by Scarry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
2. What does Scarry like about the term with the dual meaning?
3. Which of these 'nots' is NOT associated with beauty?
4. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
2. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
3. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
4. What does Scarry say about beauty leading to urges?
5. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
6. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
7. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
8. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
9. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
10. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)