|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry use a cube to prove?
(a) Symmetry with exclusion.
(b) Being well rounded.
(c) One idea havign six faces.
(d) Opposing sides making a whole.
2. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
(c) All of these.
3. What realm does beauty live in now according to Scarry?
(a) The Imaginative.
(b) The Real.
(c) The Literary.
(d) The Dream.
4. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
5. What does beauty unseen improve?
(a) God's love.
(b) The mystery of the world.
(c) Our self interest.
(d) The possibilities of the next generation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarry say most people seek for things?
2. What does Scarry say about the demotion of beauty?
3. How many kinds of perception does Scarry talk about in this book?
4. What is different about the searches for beauty than other searches?
5. What did Scarry salute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
2. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
3. What does Scarry say about gardens?
4. What did Anrdreas Eshete write about?
5. What feeling do most people achieve when they seek beauty?
6. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
7. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
8. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
9. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
10. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)