|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
2. How does Scarry describe her explanations of beauty?
3. What did those who wanted to banish beauty think was wrong with it?
(a) It was destructive.
(b) It was unfairly distributed.
(c) It was useless.
(d) It was distracting.
4. What does Scarry say was removed from beauty with its demotion?
(a) Its widespread diversity.
(b) Its good effects.
(c) Its educational qualities.
(d) Its metaphysical qualities.
5. What is uneven in the world?
(c) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
2. What kind of life does Scarry want to make beautiful?
3. What does Scarry try to include in her writing?
4. Beauty is compacted with ______________.
5. What is the third of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
2. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
3. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
4. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
5. How does Scarry end this book?
6. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
7. What are the two perceptions of beauty Scarry talks about, and how do they differ?
8. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
9. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
10. Where does Scarry see the most vulnerability in beauty being admired?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)