|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wanted to banish beauty in the 20th Century?
(a) Ugly people.
2. What complaints against beauty bother Scarry the most?
(a) Political complaints.
(b) Religious complaints.
(c) Jealous complaints.
(d) Past complaints.
3. What was Iris Murdoch's occupation?
(b) Motivational Speaker.
4. Who introduced the concept that led to the demotion of beauty?
5. What kind of pressure does beauty cause?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the notions of those who wanted to banish beauty?
2. Where does Scarry say the desire for social good manifests itself?
3. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
4. Which of these is one of the mental actions Scarry says beauty inspires?
5. What part of life did the demotion of beauty affect the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
2. How do gods prove the usefulness of beauty?
3. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
4. What does Scarry say about gardens?
5. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
6. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
7. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
8. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
9. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
10. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)