|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what field was beauty taboo when this book was written?
(c) All of these.
2. What did Andreas write about?
3. Who says that beauty decenters the viewer?
4. What is most vulnerable when beauty is admired?
(a) The person admiring the beauty.
(b) The person being admired.
(c) The person who chooses not to admire others.
(d) The person who is overlooked.
5. What is the fourth of the four examples used to disprove those who want to banish beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of potential does Scarry reaffirm when working in a garden?
2. What about beauty did those wanting to banish it say was destructive?
3. How did Scarry's doubtful friend study her ideas about beauty?
4. What contemporary writer did Scarry quote to illustrate the link between beauty and justice?
5. Those who wanted to banish beauty wanted to keep beauty out of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say is different about people searching for beauty?
2. What does Scarry say about gardens?
3. With what does the search for beauty make a compact?
4. What did Edmund Burke do to start the demotion of beauty?
5. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
6. How does Scarry end this book?
7. What did Rilke salute with his words on beauty and justice?
8. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
9. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
10. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)