|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He was an inventor.
(b) He painted.
(c) All of these.
(d) He sketched.
2. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
(b) All of these.
3. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A painting.
(c) A dream.
(d) A book.
4. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She is confused by them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She agreed with them.
5. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Matisse's occupation?
2. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
3. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
4. What was Proust's occupation?
5. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
2. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
3. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
4. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
5. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
6. What about beauty did Scarry's critics say was destructive?
7. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
8. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
9. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
10. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)