|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
(a) A moment of confusion.
(b) A moment of decision.
(c) A moment of revelation.
(d) A moment of clarity.
2. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(a) Robert Frost.
(b) John Donne.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
3. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) The humanities.
(b) Natural settings.
(d) Patriotic ideals.
4. What was Proust's occupation?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It goes back and forth.
(b) It causes both harm and damage.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It is productive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
2. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
3. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
4. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
5. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
2. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
3. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
4. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
5. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
6. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
7. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
9. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
10. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)