|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She agreed with them.
(b) She is amused by them.
(c) She is confused by them.
(d) She hates them.
2. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
3. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Women speaking out.
(b) Women being like men.
(c) Beauty veing recognized.
(d) Men being like women.
4. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It symbolizes bad things.
(b) It has seasons.
(c) It gets old.
(d) It doesn't belong everywhere.
5. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who are selfish.
(b) Those who hoard beauty.
(c) Those who have no beauty.
(d) Those who are afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
2. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
3. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
4. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
5. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
2. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
3. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
4. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
5. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
6. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
7. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
8. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
9. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
10. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)