|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
2. What was Matisse's occupation?
3. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
(b) It has continual creation.
(c) It brings out the inner beauty.
(d) It teaches other to be lovely.
4. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He held grudges.
(b) He was an artist.
(c) He was famous.
(d) He had children.
5. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
2. What is the title of the second section of this book?
3. What object did Matisse write about?
4. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
5. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Plato say people had children?
2. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
3. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
4. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
5. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
6. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
7. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
8. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
9. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)