|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It brings out the inner beauty.
(b) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
(c) It has continual creation.
(d) It teaches other to be lovely.
2. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(b) Hard work.
3. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A book.
(b) A painting.
(c) A dream.
(d) A vacation.
4. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(b) She disagrees.
(c) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(d) She agrees.
5. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(c) Too many to count.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
2. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
3. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
4. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
5. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
2. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
3. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
4. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
5. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
6. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
7. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
8. For what is Matisse known?
9. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
10. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)