|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A book.
(c) A painting.
(d) A dream.
2. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Using them.
(b) Judging them.
(c) Caring about them.
(d) Scorning them.
3. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(c) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(d) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
4. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(a) The arts.
5. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
2. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
3. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
4. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
5. What object did Matisse write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
2. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
3. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
4. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
5. What genre does this book fit in and why?
6. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
7. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
8. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
9. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
10. For what is Matisse known?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)