|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
(a) The variety of perspectives.
(b) Attributes being unevenly noted.
(c) The self indulgence of it.
(d) All the abuse it causes.
2. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They show use ourselves.
(b) All of these.
(c) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(d) They are hard on the heart.
3. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) John Donne.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
4. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) An owl.
(c) A crow.
(d) An eagle.
5. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
(a) A moment of confusion.
(b) A moment of clarity.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of revelation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
2. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
3. What was Matisse's occupation?
4. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
5. What impulse does Scarry say beauty creates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
2. For what is Matisse known?
3. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
4. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
5. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
6. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
7. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
8. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
9. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
10. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)