|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
2. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She disagrees.
(b) She is confused by them.
(c) She agrees with only parts of them.
(d) She agrees with her.
3. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It gets old.
(b) It has seasons.
(c) It doesn't belong everywhere.
(d) It symbolizes bad things.
4. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1960's.
(b) The 1980's.
(c) The 1990's.
(d) The 1970's.
5. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
(a) When it is mortal.
(b) When it is corrupted.
(c) When it is used for evil.
(d) When it is immortal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
2. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
3. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
4. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
5. What was Proust's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
2. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
3. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
4. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
5. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
6. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
7. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
8. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
9. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
10. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)