|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A couplet.
(b) An anthem.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) A song.
2. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty is life saving.
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(d) Too many to count.
4. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
(a) They can be pleasant surprises.
(b) They show long hidden truth.
(c) They are worse than beautiful things going ugly.
(d) They are revelatory moments.
5. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He had children.
(b) He held grudges.
(c) He was an artist.
(d) He was famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
2. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
3. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
4. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
5. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
2. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
3. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
4. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
5. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
6. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
7. Why did Plato say people had children?
8. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
9. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
10. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)