|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
2. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(a) The arts.
3. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A couplet.
(b) A song.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) An anthem.
4. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In art.
(b) In beauty.
(c) In her taste.
(d) In music.
5. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To make the world better.
(b) All of these.
(c) To make life happier.
(d) To show she is write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
2. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
3. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
4. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
5. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
2. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
3. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
4. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
5. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
6. What genre does this book fit in and why?
7. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
8. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
9. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)