|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Visual errors.
(b) Philosophical errors.
(c) Religious error.
(d) Intellectual errors.
2. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
3. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In ideas.
(b) In landscapes.
(c) In particulars.
(d) In generalities.
4. What was Proust's occupation?
5. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her gentility.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her strength.
(d) Her nudity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
2. What object did Matisse write about?
3. Who was Wittgenstein?
4. What fear did Matisse write about?
5. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
2. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
3. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
4. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
5. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
6. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
7. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
8. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
9. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
10. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)