|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
2. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
3. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(b) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(c) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(d) She saw a rose die.
4. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was not how she thought it would be.
(b) It was beautiful.
(c) It was scary.
(d) It was larger than life.
5. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
2. What is the title of the second section of this book?
3. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
4. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
2. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
3. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
4. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
5. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
6. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
7. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
8. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
9. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
10. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)