|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty can be evil.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty cannot always last.
2. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A book.
(b) A painting.
(c) A dream.
(d) A vacation.
3. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The effects of beauty on him.
(b) The need to be near beauty.
(c) The anger of not being beautiful.
(d) The pride of creating beauty.
4. Who wrote about Odysseus?
5. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Happy memories.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Agreeable opinions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
2. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
3. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
5. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
2. How does Scarry say most people feel when they admire beauty in others?
3. What does Scarry say about critics of beauty?
4. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
5. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
6. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
7. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
8. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
9. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
10. What is the double meaning of fairness?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)