|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
2. Whom did Odysseus visit?
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(a) Too many to count.
4. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It gets old.
(b) It symbolizes bad things.
(c) It has seasons.
(d) It doesn't belong everywhere.
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
2. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
3. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
4. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
5. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
2. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
3. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
4. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
5. What genre does this book fit in and why?
6. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
7. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
8. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
9. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
10. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)