|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The future.
(b) The right.
(c) The truth.
(d) The brave.
2. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In generalities.
(b) In landscapes.
(c) In particulars.
(d) In ideas.
3. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
4. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(b) Patriotic ideals.
(d) The humanities.
5. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
2. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
3. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
4. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
2. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
3. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
4. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
5. What genre does this book fit in and why?
6. What does Scarry say comes to a community before justice?
7. What does Scarry not like about the negative arguments against beauty?
8. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
9. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
10. What does Scarry say about the bad vase?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)