|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It has seasons.
(b) It gets old.
(c) It symbolizes bad things.
(d) It doesn't belong everywhere.
2. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Caring about them.
(b) Scorning them.
(c) Judging them.
(d) Using them.
3. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The desire to attempt creation.
(b) The desire to reach perfection.
(c) The need for impulses.
(d) The need for beauty.
4. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(a) All of these.
(b) The truth.
5. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
2. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
3. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
4. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
2. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
3. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
4. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
5. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
6. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
7. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
8. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
9. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
10. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)