|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(a) Ink pens.
(c) Palm fronds.
2. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They are hard on the heart.
(b) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(c) All of these.
(d) They show use ourselves.
3. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It brings out the inner beauty.
(b) It has continual creation.
(c) It teaches other to be lovely.
(d) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
4. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
(a) When it is mortal.
(b) When it is used for evil.
(c) When it is corrupted.
(d) When it is immortal.
5. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
2. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
3. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
4. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
5. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
2. What does Scarry say can never be harmful to humans, and why?
3. Why do some people feel beauty is not earned?
4. What does Scarry say is the normal distinction between the sublime and the beautiful?
5. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
6. For what is Matisse known?
7. What does Scarry say most people want when they search for things?
8. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
9. What did Plato say about the beauty of one?
10. How does Scarry end this book?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)