|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The act of painting.
(b) The beauty of nature.
(c) The cause of art.
(d) The artist's lifestyle.
2. What is a motif?
(a) A theme.
(b) A way of expression.
(c) A repeated pattern.
(d) A kind of poem.
3. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Religious error.
(b) Intellectual errors.
(c) Visual errors.
(d) Philosophical errors.
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Wittgenstein?
2. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
3. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
4. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
5. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
2. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
3. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
4. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
5. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
6. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
7. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
8. For what is Matisse known?
9. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
10. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)