|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was not how she thought it would be.
(b) It was beautiful.
(c) It was larger than life.
(d) It was scary.
2. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(c) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(d) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
3. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) A crow.
(c) An owl.
(d) An eagle.
4. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In music.
(b) In art.
(c) In her taste.
(d) In beauty.
5. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
2. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
3. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
4. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
5. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
2. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
5. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
6. For what is Matisse known?
7. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
8. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
9. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
10. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)