|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
(a) He was a father figure to Da Vinci.
(b) He inspired Da Vinci.
(c) He tutored under Da Vinci.
(d) He had an affair with Da Vinci.
2. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The need for beauty.
(b) The desire to attempt creation.
(c) The desire to reach perfection.
(d) The need for impulses.
3. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is life saving.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
4. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(c) Patriotic ideals.
(d) The humanities.
5. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(c) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
2. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
3. What object did Matisse write about?
4. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
5. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
2. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
3. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
4. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
5. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
6. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
7. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
9. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
10. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)