|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a motif?
(a) A theme.
(b) A kind of poem.
(c) A repeated pattern.
(d) A way of expression.
2. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) An image of a girl serving milk.
(b) A self portrait.
(c) A mirror.
(d) The grave of his wife.
3. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
(a) He tutored under Da Vinci.
(b) He was a father figure to Da Vinci.
(c) He inspired Da Vinci.
(d) He had an affair with Da Vinci.
4. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It causes both harm and damage.
(b) It goes back and forth.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It is productive.
5. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To tell the future.
(b) To show truth.
(c) To improve society.
(d) To combat evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
2. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
3. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
4. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
2. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
3. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
4. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
6. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
7. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
8. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
9. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
10. What does Scarry say many philosophers have a hard time defining?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)