|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(c) The arts.
2. What kind of book is this?
(d) Self Help.
3. What does Scarry say is our major limitation in seeing beauty?
(a) We have to start from the beginning.
(b) We rely on our sight.
(c) We are burdened with physical needs.
(d) We do not remember past lives.
4. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(a) The truth.
(b) All of these.
5. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(b) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(c) She saw a rose die.
(d) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a motif?
2. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
3. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
4. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
5. What did Plato say really caused children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
2. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
3. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
4. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
5. What genre does this book fit in and why?
6. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
7. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
9. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
10. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)