|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(b) She disagrees.
(c) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(d) She agrees.
2. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
3. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who are afraid.
(b) Those who are selfish.
(c) Those who hoard beauty.
(d) Those who have no beauty.
4. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(d) Oscar Wilde.
5. What is a motif?
(a) A theme.
(b) A kind of poem.
(c) A repeated pattern.
(d) A way of expression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
2. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
3. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
4. What was Proust's occupation?
5. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
2. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
3. For what is Matisse known?
4. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
5. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
6. What does Scarry say about the back and forth ideas about beauty?
7. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
8. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
9. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
10. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)