|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The banal need for beauty.
(b) The desire of men to see themselves.
(c) The repercussions of pride.
(d) The act of beauty replicating itself.
2. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
(a) She quotes old philosophers.
(b) She gives her own experiences.
(c) She interviews other leaders.
(d) She cites studies.
3. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The truth.
(b) The right.
(c) The future.
(d) The brave.
4. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1960's.
(b) The 1990's.
(c) The 1980's.
(d) The 1970's.
5. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A song.
(b) A couplet.
(c) An anthem.
(d) A sonnet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
2. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
3. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
4. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
5. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
2. What revelations did Scarry have after reading about Odysseus?
3. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
4. What part of Odysseus does Scarry include in this book, and why?
5. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
6. For what is Matisse known?
7. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
8. What genre does this book fit in and why?
9. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
10. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)