|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of revelation.
(b) A moment of clarity.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of confusion.
2. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It goes back and forth.
(b) It is productive.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It causes both harm and damage.
3. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A king.
(b) A politician.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A writer.
4. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She is confused by them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She agreed with them.
(d) She is amused by them.
5. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
2. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
3. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
4. What fear did Matisse write about?
5. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scarry say happens when the desire for beauty fades?
2. What realization came to Scarry by studying Matisse's works?
3. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
4. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
5. How did Leonardo Da Vinci create many of his important pieces?
6. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
7. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
8. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
9. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
10. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)