|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(c) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
(d) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
2. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
3. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) An image of a girl serving milk.
(b) A self portrait.
(c) The grave of his wife.
(d) A mirror.
4. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The artist's lifestyle.
(b) The beauty of nature.
(c) The cause of art.
(d) The act of painting.
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
2. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
3. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
4. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
5. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulses does Scarry say beauty causes?
2. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
3. Why did Scarry include her experience of seeing an owl in this book?
4. What does Scarry say errors in beauty really show us?
5. What genre does this book fit in and why?
6. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
7. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
8. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
9. What does Emily Dickinson say about revelatory moments?
10. How does Scarry say that visual art is replicated?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)