|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
2. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(b) Hard work.
3. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
4. What fear did Matisse write about?
(a) Others would never see her beauty.
(b) She would never be beautiful.
(c) She had missed other beauties in life.
(d) She would die and lose her beauty.
5. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Agreeable opinions.
(c) Cultural differences.
(d) Happy memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
2. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
3. Who was Wittgenstein?
4. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
5. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
2. What motif did Scarry notice in Matisse's work?
3. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
4. What genre does this book fit in and why?
5. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
6. What dos Scarry say is important about works without precedence?
7. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
8. What kind of change in beauty is hardest for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say made her love certain trees and hate others?
10. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)