|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
2. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
(a) Seeing beauty all around.
(b) Accepting other cultures.
(c) Living a full life.
(d) Believing others ideas.
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It is productive.
(b) It goes back and forth.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It causes both harm and damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
2. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
3. What was Proust's occupation?
4. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
5. Where did Scarry find a motif?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocked Scarry about seeing a real owl?
2. What does Scarry use as her examples against those who said beauty was bad?
3. How does Scarry feel about the political implications on beauty in her time?
4. What mental actions does Scarry write about, and what do they cause?
5. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
6. What is the first error of beauty explained by Scarry?
7. What did Proust want to spend his life doing, and why?
8. What kind of change in beauty is easier for Scarry to deal with and why?
9. What does Scarry say about the metaphysical qualities of beauty?
10. What did critics of beauty in Scarry's time say about beauty?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)