|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
(b) All of these.
2. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
3. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The repercussions of pride.
(b) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(c) The banal need for beauty.
(d) The desire of men to see themselves.
4. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A book.
(b) A painting.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A dream.
5. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
6. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(c) Too many to count.
7. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Using them.
(b) Caring about them.
(c) Scorning them.
(d) Judging them.
8. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To show truth.
(b) To combat evil.
(c) To improve society.
(d) To tell the future.
9. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
(a) When it is mortal.
(b) When it is immortal.
(c) When it is corrupted.
(d) When it is used for evil.
10. What impulse does Scarry say beauty creates?
(a) The impulse to find beauty.
(b) The impulse to improve one's self.
(c) The impulse to beget.
(d) The impulse to write.
11. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Happy memories.
(b) Agreeable opinions.
(c) Cultural differences.
12. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
13. What was Matisse's occupation?
14. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He never sought for acclaim.
(b) He donated his profits.
(c) He created what he wanted.
(d) He copied others.
15. What is a motif?
(a) A kind of poem.
(b) A theme.
(c) A way of expression.
(d) A repeated pattern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
2. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
3. What fear did Matisse write about?
4. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
5. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)