|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote about Odysseus?
2. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Patriotic ideals.
(b) Natural settings.
(d) The humanities.
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(a) Too many to count.
4. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A dream.
(c) A book.
(d) A painting.
5. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A king.
(b) A politician.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A writer.
6. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
7. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(c) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
(d) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
8. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She saw a rose die.
(b) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(c) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(d) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
9. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Women speaking out.
(b) Beauty veing recognized.
(c) Women being like men.
(d) Men being like women.
10. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
(b) It brings out the inner beauty.
(c) It has continual creation.
(d) It teaches other to be lovely.
11. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(a) Hard work.
12. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In beauty.
(b) In music.
(c) In her taste.
(d) In art.
13. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Intellectual errors.
(b) Visual errors.
(c) Religious error.
(d) Philosophical errors.
14. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
(a) The variety of perspectives.
(b) The self indulgence of it.
(c) Attributes being unevenly noted.
(d) All the abuse it causes.
15. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
(a) Accepting other cultures.
(b) Believing others ideas.
(c) Seeing beauty all around.
(d) Living a full life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
2. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
3. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
4. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
5. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)