|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
2. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
3. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was larger than life.
(b) It was beautiful.
(c) It was scary.
(d) It was not how she thought it would be.
4. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
5. What object did Matisse write about?
(a) Ivy vines.
(b) Palm fronds.
(d) Sea shells.
6. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1980's.
(b) The 1960's.
(c) The 1990's.
(d) The 1970's.
7. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Using them.
(b) Scorning them.
(c) Judging them.
(d) Caring about them.
8. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
9. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She saw a rose die.
(b) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(c) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(d) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
10. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She agrees with only parts of them.
(b) She disagrees.
(c) She agrees with her.
(d) She is confused by them.
11. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In art.
(b) In music.
(c) In beauty.
(d) In her taste.
12. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It doesn't belong everywhere.
(b) It has seasons.
(c) It gets old.
(d) It symbolizes bad things.
13. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Philosophical errors.
(b) Religious error.
(c) Intellectual errors.
(d) Visual errors.
14. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She hates them.
(b) She is amused by them.
(c) She is confused by them.
(d) She agreed with them.
15. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(b) The humanities.
(c) Patriotic ideals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
2. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
3. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
4. Whom did Odysseus visit?
5. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)