|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
2. What was Matisse's occupation?
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(a) Too many to count.
4. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Heart ache.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Past experiences.
(d) Things her father said.
5. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A politician.
(b) A king.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A writer.
6. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To show she is write.
(b) All of these.
(c) To make the world better.
(d) To make life happier.
7. What was Proust's occupation?
8. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
9. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The right.
(b) The future.
(c) The brave.
(d) The truth.
10. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
11. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He sketched.
(b) All of these.
(c) He painted.
(d) He was an inventor.
12. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She is confused by them.
(b) She agreed with them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She hates them.
13. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(b) Beauty is life saving.
(c) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(d) Beauty is new.
14. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of clarity.
(b) A moment of confusion.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of revelation.
15. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)