|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
2. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(d) Oscar Wilde.
3. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
4. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He never sought for acclaim.
(b) He copied others.
(c) He created what he wanted.
(d) He donated his profits.
5. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of confusion.
(b) A moment of clarity.
(c) A moment of revelation.
(d) A moment of decision.
6. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Using them.
(b) Caring about them.
(c) Judging them.
(d) Scorning them.
7. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
8. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She agreed with them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She is confused by them.
9. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In her taste.
(b) In beauty.
(c) In art.
(d) In music.
10. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who are selfish.
(b) Those who have no beauty.
(c) Those who hoard beauty.
(d) Those who are afraid.
11. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To show truth.
(b) To improve society.
(c) To tell the future.
(d) To combat evil.
12. What is a motif?
(a) A kind of poem.
(b) A repeated pattern.
(c) A way of expression.
(d) A theme.
13. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She disagrees.
(b) She is confused by them.
(c) She agrees with her.
(d) She agrees with only parts of them.
14. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty is life saving.
(c) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
15. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
2. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
3. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
4. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)