|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(c) Palm fronds.
(d) Ink pens.
2. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(b) The truth.
(d) All of these.
3. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The repercussions of pride.
(b) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(c) The banal need for beauty.
(d) The desire of men to see themselves.
4. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
(a) The place.
(b) All of these.
(c) The desire.
(d) The need.
5. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) The humanities.
(b) Natural settings.
(d) Patriotic ideals.
6. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
7. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
8. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
(a) He tutored under Da Vinci.
(b) He inspired Da Vinci.
(c) He had an affair with Da Vinci.
(d) He was a father figure to Da Vinci.
9. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Things her father said.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Heart ache.
(d) Past experiences.
10. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To show truth.
(b) To improve society.
(c) To tell the future.
(d) To combat evil.
11. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They are hard on the heart.
(b) All of these.
(c) They show use ourselves.
(d) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
12. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A sonnet.
(b) A couplet.
(c) A song.
(d) An anthem.
13. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of revelation.
(b) A moment of confusion.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of clarity.
14. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Beauty veing recognized.
(b) Men being like women.
(c) Women speaking out.
(d) Women being like men.
15. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(b) She saw a rose die.
(c) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(d) She had ignored subtle beauties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear did Matisse write about?
2. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
3. What kind of book is this?
4. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
5. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)