|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its reputation.
(b) Its beauty.
(c) Its place in history.
(d) Its affect on other things.
2. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The anger of not being beautiful.
(b) The effects of beauty on him.
(c) The need to be near beauty.
(d) The pride of creating beauty.
3. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
4. What was Matisse's occupation?
5. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
(a) Accepting other cultures.
(b) Believing others ideas.
(c) Living a full life.
(d) Seeing beauty all around.
6. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To combat evil.
(b) To show truth.
(c) To tell the future.
(d) To improve society.
7. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
(a) The strange directional challenges.
(b) The worsening of morals.
(c) The need for religion.
(d) The pliancy of consciousness.
8. What object did Matisse write about?
(b) Palm fronds.
(c) Sea shells.
(d) Ivy vines.
9. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(a) Too many to count.
10. What impulse does Scarry say beauty creates?
(a) The impulse to find beauty.
(b) The impulse to improve one's self.
(c) The impulse to beget.
(d) The impulse to write.
11. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(b) Natural settings.
(c) The humanities.
(d) Patriotic ideals.
12. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In generalities.
(b) In particulars.
(c) In landscapes.
(d) In ideas.
13. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Things her father said.
(b) Heart ache.
(c) Past experiences.
(d) Cultural differences.
14. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
15. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
2. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
3. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
4. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
5. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)