|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She disagrees.
(b) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(c) She agrees.
(d) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
2. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Intellectual errors.
(b) Philosophical errors.
(c) Religious error.
(d) Visual errors.
3. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In art.
(b) In music.
(c) In beauty.
(d) In her taste.
4. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He held grudges.
(b) He had children.
(c) He was an artist.
(d) He was famous.
5. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
6. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A writer.
(b) A politician.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A king.
7. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) All of these.
(b) They are hard on the heart.
(c) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(d) They show use ourselves.
8. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(b) Patriotic ideals.
(c) The humanities.
9. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A vacation.
(b) A dream.
(c) A painting.
(d) A book.
10. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
(a) The place.
(b) The need.
(c) All of these.
(d) The desire.
11. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The cause of art.
(b) The artist's lifestyle.
(c) The beauty of nature.
(d) The act of painting.
12. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of clarity.
(b) A moment of revelation.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of confusion.
13. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
14. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(b) Happy memories.
(c) Agreeable opinions.
(d) Cultural differences.
15. Whom did Odysseus visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
2. What object did Matisse write about?
3. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
4. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
5. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)