|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1990's.
(b) The 1970's.
(c) The 1960's.
(d) The 1980's.
2. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
3. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her gentility.
(b) Her nudity.
(c) Her strength.
(d) Her beauty.
4. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She agrees with only parts of them.
(b) She is confused by them.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She agrees with her.
5. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
(b) All of these.
6. Whom did Odysseus visit?
7. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is life saving.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
8. What was Matisse's occupation?
9. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A politician.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A writer.
(d) A king.
10. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
11. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A book.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A painting.
(d) A dream.
12. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The beauty of nature.
(b) The artist's lifestyle.
(c) The cause of art.
(d) The act of painting.
13. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Caring about them.
(b) Scorning them.
(c) Judging them.
(d) Using them.
14. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who hoard beauty.
(b) Those who are selfish.
(c) Those who are afraid.
(d) Those who have no beauty.
15. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
(a) He had children.
(b) He held grudges.
(c) He was an artist.
(d) He was famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
2. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
3. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
4. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
5. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)