|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
2. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) A self portrait.
(b) A mirror.
(c) The grave of his wife.
(d) An image of a girl serving milk.
3. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
(a) A mockingbird.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A crow.
(d) An owl.
4. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is life saving.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
5. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its place in history.
(b) Its reputation.
(c) Its beauty.
(d) Its affect on other things.
6. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) All of these.
(b) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(c) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(d) She saw beauty in other trees.
7. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In her taste.
(b) In music.
(c) In art.
(d) In beauty.
8. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He painted.
(b) He sketched.
(c) All of these.
(d) He was an inventor.
9. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She is confused by them.
(b) She agrees with her.
(c) She agrees with only parts of them.
(d) She disagrees.
10. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She saw a rose die.
(b) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(c) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(d) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
11. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
12. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(b) Palm fronds.
(d) Ink pens.
13. What kind of book is this?
(d) Self Help.
14. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(c) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
(d) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
15. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
2. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
3. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
4. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
5. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)