|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It goes back and forth.
(b) It is productive.
(c) It causes both harm and damage.
(d) It is destructive.
2. What was Proust's occupation?
3. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
4. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) All of these.
(b) He was an inventor.
(c) He painted.
(d) He sketched.
5. What does Scarry say is our major limitation in seeing beauty?
(a) We have to start from the beginning.
(b) We rely on our sight.
(c) We are burdened with physical needs.
(d) We do not remember past lives.
6. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its beauty.
(b) Its reputation.
(c) Its affect on other things.
(d) Its place in history.
7. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Philosophical errors.
(b) Intellectual errors.
(c) Visual errors.
(d) Religious error.
8. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(d) She disagrees.
9. Whom did Odysseus visit?
10. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
(a) The self indulgence of it.
(b) Attributes being unevenly noted.
(c) The variety of perspectives.
(d) All the abuse it causes.
11. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
(a) They are revelatory moments.
(b) They are worse than beautiful things going ugly.
(c) They show long hidden truth.
(d) They can be pleasant surprises.
12. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
(c) All of these.
13. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) An anthem.
(b) A couplet.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) A song.
14. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He donated his profits.
(b) He copied others.
(c) He created what he wanted.
(d) He never sought for acclaim.
15. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Things her father said.
(b) Past experiences.
(c) Cultural differences.
(d) Heart ache.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
2. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
3. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
4. What is the title of the second section of this book?
5. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)