|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
2. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Scorning them.
(b) Judging them.
(c) Using them.
(d) Caring about them.
3. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
4. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
5. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty is life saving.
6. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw beauty in other trees.
(b) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(c) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(d) All of these.
7. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Robert Frost.
(d) John Donne.
8. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(b) Palm fronds.
(d) Ink pens.
9. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To improve society.
(b) To combat evil.
(c) To show truth.
(d) To tell the future.
10. What is a motif?
(a) A theme.
(b) A kind of poem.
(c) A way of expression.
(d) A repeated pattern.
11. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
(b) All of these.
12. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
13. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To make life happier.
(b) To show she is write.
(c) All of these.
(d) To make the world better.
14. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The need to be near beauty.
(b) The anger of not being beautiful.
(c) The effects of beauty on him.
(d) The pride of creating beauty.
15. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(b) The banal need for beauty.
(c) The desire of men to see themselves.
(d) The repercussions of pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
2. Why does Scarry think Matisse will reach more people than her?
3. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
4. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
5. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)