|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Men being like women.
(b) Women speaking out.
(c) Women being like men.
(d) Beauty veing recognized.
2. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Intellectual errors.
(b) Visual errors.
(c) Philosophical errors.
(d) Religious error.
3. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(b) She saw beauty in other trees.
(c) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(d) All of these.
4. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He sketched.
(b) He painted.
(c) He was an inventor.
(d) All of these.
5. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To show she is write.
(b) All of these.
(c) To make life happier.
(d) To make the world better.
6. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
7. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She hates them.
(b) She is confused by them.
(c) She is amused by them.
(d) She agreed with them.
8. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
9. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A politician.
(c) A writer.
(d) A king.
10. What is a motif?
(a) A theme.
(b) A way of expression.
(c) A repeated pattern.
(d) A kind of poem.
11. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Patriotic ideals.
(b) Natural settings.
(d) The humanities.
12. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(b) She saw a rose die.
(c) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(d) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
13. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The future.
(b) The right.
(c) The truth.
(d) The brave.
14. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its reputation.
(b) Its affect on other things.
(c) Its beauty.
(d) Its place in history.
15. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It has seasons.
(b) It gets old.
(c) It doesn't belong everywhere.
(d) It symbolizes bad things.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
2. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
3. What is the title of the second section of this book?
4. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
5. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)