|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
4. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Caring about them.
(b) Using them.
(c) Scorning them.
(d) Judging them.
5. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
(a) They are worse than beautiful things going ugly.
(b) They can be pleasant surprises.
(c) They are revelatory moments.
(d) They show long hidden truth.
6. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
7. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
8. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty cannot always last.
(b) Beauty can be evil.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is new.
9. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
10. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
(a) Seeing beauty all around.
(b) Believing others ideas.
(c) Living a full life.
(d) Accepting other cultures.
11. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
12. What impulse does Scarry say beauty creates?
(a) The impulse to find beauty.
(b) The impulse to write.
(c) The impulse to beget.
(d) The impulse to improve one's self.
13. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(b) Too many to count.
14. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) The grave of his wife.
(b) An image of a girl serving milk.
(c) A self portrait.
(d) A mirror.
15. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A writer.
(b) A politician.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
2. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
3. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
4. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
5. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)