|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The need for beauty.
(b) The desire to attempt creation.
(c) The desire to reach perfection.
(d) The need for impulses.
2. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
(a) The self indulgence of it.
(b) The variety of perspectives.
(c) Attributes being unevenly noted.
(d) All the abuse it causes.
3. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(b) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She agrees.
4. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A self portrait.
(c) The grave of his wife.
(d) An image of a girl serving milk.
5. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty cannot always last.
(b) Beauty can be evil.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is new.
6. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
(a) He tutored under Da Vinci.
(b) He was a father figure to Da Vinci.
(c) He inspired Da Vinci.
(d) He had an affair with Da Vinci.
7. What was Matisse's occupation?
8. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(b) All of these.
(c) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(d) She saw beauty in other trees.
9. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(b) They show use ourselves.
(c) All of these.
(d) They are hard on the heart.
10. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The beauty of nature.
(b) The artist's lifestyle.
(c) The act of painting.
(d) The cause of art.
11. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It is destructive.
(b) It causes both harm and damage.
(c) It is productive.
(d) It goes back and forth.
12. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
13. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The right.
(b) The future.
(c) The truth.
(d) The brave.
14. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She saw a rose die.
(b) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(c) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(d) She had ignored subtle beauties.
15. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) John Donne.
(d) Robert Frost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
2. What did Plato say really caused children?
3. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
4. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
5. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)