|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) All of these.
(b) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(c) They show use ourselves.
(d) They are hard on the heart.
2. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
(b) All of these.
3. Whom did Odysseus visit?
4. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is new.
5. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
(a) She is amused by them.
(b) She agreed with them.
(c) She is confused by them.
(d) She hates them.
6. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The brave.
(b) The future.
(c) The truth.
(d) The right.
7. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In music.
(b) In beauty.
(c) In art.
(d) In her taste.
8. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1970's.
(b) The 1990's.
(c) The 1980's.
(d) The 1960's.
9. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
10. Who wrote about Odysseus?
11. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The need for impulses.
(b) The desire to attempt creation.
(c) The need for beauty.
(d) The desire to reach perfection.
12. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To show she is write.
(b) All of these.
(c) To make life happier.
(d) To make the world better.
13. What was Proust's occupation?
14. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
15. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
2. What did Plato say really caused children?
3. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
4. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
5. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)