|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Judging them.
(b) Scorning them.
(c) Using them.
(d) Caring about them.
2. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its reputation.
(b) Its affect on other things.
(c) Its place in history.
(d) Its beauty.
3. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(c) Too many to count.
4. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Philosophical errors.
(b) Intellectual errors.
(c) Visual errors.
(d) Religious error.
5. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
(c) All of these.
6. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty cannot always last.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty can be evil.
(d) Beauty is life saving.
7. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He never sought for acclaim.
(b) He created what he wanted.
(c) He donated his profits.
(d) He copied others.
8. Whom did Odysseus visit?
9. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
10. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
(a) The studio.
(b) A stage.
(d) A bathroom.
11. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
12. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(b) The desire of men to see themselves.
(c) The repercussions of pride.
(d) The banal need for beauty.
13. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Men being like women.
(b) Women speaking out.
(c) Beauty veing recognized.
(d) Women being like men.
14. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw beauty in other trees.
(b) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(c) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(d) All of these.
15. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
2. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
3. What is the title of the second section of this book?
4. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
5. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)