|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty can be evil.
(b) Beauty is life saving.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty cannot always last.
2. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It gets old.
(b) It has seasons.
(c) It symbolizes bad things.
(d) It doesn't belong everywhere.
3. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To tell the future.
(b) To show truth.
(c) To improve society.
(d) To combat evil.
4. What was Matisse's occupation?
5. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of decision.
(b) A moment of revelation.
(c) A moment of confusion.
(d) A moment of clarity.
6. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
(b) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
(c) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
(d) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
7. What is Scarry's first conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
8. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) All of these.
(b) They show use ourselves.
(c) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(d) They are hard on the heart.
9. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
10. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her gentility.
(b) Her strength.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her nudity.
11. What was Proust's occupation?
12. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
13. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(a) All of these.
(c) The truth.
14. What does Scarry say the general attitude about beauty indicates in society?
(a) The pliancy of consciousness.
(b) The need for religion.
(c) The strange directional challenges.
(d) The worsening of morals.
15. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
2. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
3. Whom did Odysseus visit?
4. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
5. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)