|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
2. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty cannot always last.
(b) Beauty is new.
(c) Beauty can be evil.
(d) Beauty is life saving.
3. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
4. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her nudity.
(b) Her strength.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her gentility.
5. What is the title of the second section of this book?
(a) "Beauty Prompts a Battle Within."
(b) "Beauty Prompts a Copy of Itself."
(c) "Beauty Prompts Some Inner Workings."
(d) "Beauty Prompts Praise of Itself."
6. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In art.
(b) In her taste.
(c) In beauty.
(d) In music.
7. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) All of these.
(b) She saw beauty in other trees.
(c) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(d) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
8. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
(c) All of these.
9. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(b) She saw a rose die.
(c) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(d) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
10. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
11. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The beauty of nature.
(b) The act of painting.
(c) The cause of art.
(d) The artist's lifestyle.
12. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(b) Natural settings.
(c) Patriotic ideals.
(d) The humanities.
13. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They are hard on the heart.
(b) They show use ourselves.
(c) All of these.
(d) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
14. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Women being like men.
(b) Beauty veing recognized.
(c) Women speaking out.
(d) Men being like women.
15. What does Scarry say validates the existence of some things?
(a) Its affect on other things.
(b) Its beauty.
(c) Its place in history.
(d) Its reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
2. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
3. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
5. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)