|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The truth.
(b) The right.
(c) The brave.
(d) The future.
2. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
(b) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(c) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(d) She saw a rose die.
3. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
4. What was Matisse's occupation?
5. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(c) The truth.
(d) All of these.
6. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw beauty in other trees.
(b) All of these.
(c) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
(d) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
7. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
8. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty can be evil.
(b) Beauty cannot always last.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is new.
9. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The desire to reach perfection.
(b) The desire to attempt creation.
(c) The need for beauty.
(d) The need for impulses.
10. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A song.
(b) A sonnet.
(c) A couplet.
(d) An anthem.
11. What did Scarry say many philosophers had a hard time doing?
(a) Finding beauty.
(b) Defining beauty.
(c) Being honest.
(d) Being happy.
12. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) Natural settings.
(b) The humanities.
(d) Patriotic ideals.
13. What does Scarry say about things that once were beautiful but change?
(a) They show use ourselves.
(b) They confuse the ideas of beauty.
(c) They are hard on the heart.
(d) All of these.
14. What object did Matisse write about?
(a) Ivy vines.
(c) Sea shells.
(d) Palm fronds.
15. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
(a) She interviews other leaders.
(b) She quotes old philosophers.
(c) She gives her own experiences.
(d) She cites studies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
2. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
3. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
4. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
5. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)