Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
2. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
3. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
4. What does Matisse say her preference in trees kept her from doing?
(a) Seeing beauty all around.
(b) Accepting other cultures.
(c) Living a full life.
(d) Believing others ideas.
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It is productive.
(b) It goes back and forth.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It causes both harm and damage.
6. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
7. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of clarity.
(b) A moment of revelation.
(c) A moment of decision.
(d) A moment of confusion.
8. What was Proust's occupation?
9. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty is life saving.
(c) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
10. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In music.
(b) In art.
(c) In her taste.
(d) In beauty.
11. Why did Matisse have the fear she did?
(a) She saw a rose die.
(b) She heard someone praise a shell she thought was ugly.
(c) She had ignored subtle beauties.
(d) She watched ivy vines slowly kill a tree.
12. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1980's.
(b) The 1970's.
(c) The 1960's.
(d) The 1990's.
13. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(a) Ink pens.
(c) Palm fronds.
14. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was not how she thought it would be.
(b) It was scary.
(c) It was larger than life.
(d) It was beautiful.
15. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
(a) They can be pleasant surprises.
(b) They show long hidden truth.
(c) They are revelatory moments.
(d) They are worse than beautiful things going ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Scarry feel about Plato's ideas about beauty?
2. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
3. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
4. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
5. What kind of book is this?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)