|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(a) The truth.
(d) All of these.
2. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) An image of a girl serving milk.
(b) A mirror.
(c) The grave of his wife.
(d) A self portrait.
3. Who wrote poems about mistakes in beauty?
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) John Donne.
(d) Robert Frost.
4. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
(a) All of these.
(b) The desire.
(c) The need.
(d) The place.
5. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
(a) The cause of art.
(b) The act of painting.
(c) The artist's lifestyle.
(d) The beauty of nature.
6. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(c) Hard work.
7. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
(a) A song.
(b) A couplet.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) An anthem.
8. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She disagrees.
(c) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(d) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
9. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In ideas.
(b) In generalities.
(c) In particulars.
(d) In landscapes.
10. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
11. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The desire of men to see themselves.
(b) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(c) The banal need for beauty.
(d) The repercussions of pride.
12. What kind of moment does Scarry say precedes most errors?
(a) A moment of decision.
(b) A moment of revelation.
(c) A moment of confusion.
(d) A moment of clarity.
13. What kind of book is this?
(d) Self Help.
14. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She disagrees.
(b) She is confused by them.
(c) She agrees with her.
(d) She agrees with only parts of them.
15. What does Scarry say brings about equality in society?
(a) Women being like men.
(b) Women speaking out.
(c) Beauty veing recognized.
(d) Men being like women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
2. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
3. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
4. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
5. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)