|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(c) Oscar Wilde.
2. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
(a) She quotes old philosophers.
(b) She interviews other leaders.
(c) She cites studies.
(d) She gives her own experiences.
3. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Caring about them.
(b) Using them.
(c) Judging them.
(d) Scorning them.
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
5. Who wrote about Odysseus?
6. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
7. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
8. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The effects of beauty on him.
(b) The anger of not being beautiful.
(c) The need to be near beauty.
(d) The pride of creating beauty.
9. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
10. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) To show she is write.
(b) To make the world better.
(c) To make life happier.
(d) All of these.
11. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Happy memories.
(b) Cultural differences.
(d) Agreeable opinions.
12. Which one of these is one of the errors in beauty listed in this book?
(a) All the abuse it causes.
(b) The self indulgence of it.
(c) The variety of perspectives.
(d) Attributes being unevenly noted.
13. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was scary.
(b) It was not how she thought it would be.
(c) It was larger than life.
(d) It was beautiful.
14. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty is new.
15. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
2. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
3. Whom did Danto write to in his excerpt in this book?
4. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
5. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)