|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(c) Oscar Wilde.
2. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(b) The arts.
3. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Philosophical errors.
(b) Visual errors.
(c) Intellectual errors.
(d) Religious error.
4. What object did Matisse write about?
(a) Ivy vines.
(b) Sea shells.
(c) Palm fronds.
5. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The effects of beauty on him.
(b) The pride of creating beauty.
(c) The need to be near beauty.
(d) The anger of not being beautiful.
6. How many times was Odyessus saved by beauty?
(c) Too many to count.
7. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The desire to attempt creation.
(b) The need for beauty.
(c) The desire to reach perfection.
(d) The need for impulses.
8. Who disavows the virtues of beauty?
(a) Those who hoard beauty.
(b) Those who have no beauty.
(c) Those who are selfish.
(d) Those who are afraid.
9. Who was Wittgenstein?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A politician.
(c) A writer.
(d) A king.
10. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
11. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Past experiences.
(b) Cultural differences.
(c) Heart ache.
(d) Things her father said.
12. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
13. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(b) The truth.
(d) All of these.
14. What does Matisse say should increase beauty in strange things?
(a) Agreeable opinions.
(b) Happy memories.
(c) Cultural differences.
15. What does Scarry say Beauty's aim should be?
(a) To improve society.
(b) To combat evil.
(c) To show truth.
(d) To tell the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry think beauty brings?
2. Where does Scarry look for beauty?
3. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
4. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
5. Which of these writers is NOT cited in the first half of this book?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)