|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is life saving.
(b) Beauty can be evil.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty cannot always last.
2. What changed in Scarry's vision when she found beauty in a certain tree?
(a) She saw the symbolism in all living things.
(b) She saw beauty in other trees.
(c) All of these.
(d) She saw patterns of the tree in other paintings.
3. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) A self portrait.
(b) A mirror.
(c) An image of a girl serving milk.
(d) The grave of his wife.
4. What does Scarry say beautiful does NOT always include?
(a) The truth.
(b) The future.
(c) The brave.
(d) The right.
5. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
6. How does the poet who wrote about mistakes in beauty describe these mistakes?
7. How does Scarry say education helps beauty?
(a) It has continual creation.
(b) It teaches other to be lovely.
(c) It stops people from settling for ugliness.
(d) It brings out the inner beauty.
8. What bird did Scarry see in a tree that shocked her?
(a) An owl.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A crow.
(d) A mockingbird.
9. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
10. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(a) Ink pens.
(d) Palm fronds.
11. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
12. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She agrees with her.
(b) She agrees with only parts of them.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She is confused by them.
13. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It goes back and forth.
(b) It is productive.
(c) It is destructive.
(d) It causes both harm and damage.
14. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
15. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" about?
2. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
3. What kind of book is this?
4. What is the title of the second section of this book?
5. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)