|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
(a) A moment of confusion.
(b) A moment of decision.
(c) A moment of clarity.
(d) A moment of revelation.
2. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
(a) It was scary.
(b) It was not how she thought it would be.
(c) It was beautiful.
(d) It was larger than life.
3. Where did Proust see the most beauty?
(a) In generalities.
(b) In ideas.
(c) In particulars.
(d) In landscapes.
4. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
5. How many conclusions did Scarry have about Odysseus's visit?
6. Scarry says beauty ignites a desire for ____________.
(c) All of these.
(d) The truth.
7. What did Plato say really caused children?
(a) The banal need for beauty.
(b) The repercussions of pride.
(c) The act of beauty replicating itself.
(d) The desire of men to see themselves.
8. What is Scarry's second conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is life saving.
(b) Beauty is sacred if it is mortal.
(c) Beauty is new.
(d) Beauty is sacred if it is immortal.
9. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
(a) The pride of creating beauty.
(b) The anger of not being beautiful.
(c) The need to be near beauty.
(d) The effects of beauty on him.
10. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
(a) The humanities.
(b) Natural settings.
(c) Patriotic ideals.
11. How did Scarry feel about Proust's idea of where the most beauty could be found?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She sees the merit, but thinks it is too bold.
(c) She disagrees.
(d) She thinks it is a cowardly description.
12. How does Scarry feel about Matisse's ideas?
(a) She disagrees.
(b) She agrees with her.
(c) She agrees with only parts of them.
(d) She is confused by them.
13. Why does Scarry say a certain tree loses its beauty?
(a) It symbolizes bad things.
(b) It doesn't belong everywhere.
(c) It gets old.
(d) It has seasons.
14. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
(b) A stage.
(c) A bathroom.
(d) The studio.
15. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
2. Who was Wittgenstein?
3. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
4. When was "The Painter and His Model, Studio Interior" created?
5. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)