|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Proust want to stay in front of forever?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A self portrait.
(c) An image of a girl serving milk.
(d) The grave of his wife.
2. What does Scarry say the metaphysical aspect of beauty validates?
(a) The arts.
3. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
(a) When it is immortal.
(b) When it is corrupted.
(c) When it is mortal.
(d) When it is used for evil.
4. How does Wittgenstein say Leonardo Da Vinci created pure beauty?
(a) He never sought for acclaim.
(b) He created what he wanted.
(c) He copied others.
(d) He donated his profits.
5. To what kind of craving does Scarry compare beauty?
6. What struck Odysseus first about the person he visited?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her nudity.
(c) Her strength.
(d) Her gentility.
7. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It causes both harm and damage.
(b) It goes back and forth.
(c) It is productive.
(d) It is destructive.
8. What does Scarry think brings about the most social good?
(d) Hard work.
9. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Religious error.
(b) Visual errors.
(c) Intellectual errors.
(d) Philosophical errors.
10. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In art.
(b) In her taste.
(c) In music.
(d) In beauty.
11. Who painted "The Morning Session"?
(c) Oscar Wilde.
12. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
13. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
(b) The studio.
(c) A stage.
(d) A bathroom.
14. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
15. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He painted.
(b) All of these.
(c) He was an inventor.
(d) He sketched.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Matisse write about?
2. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
3. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
4. What is the title of the second section of this book?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)