|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of moment does Scarry say follows most errors?
(a) A moment of decision.
(b) A moment of confusion.
(c) A moment of clarity.
(d) A moment of revelation.
2. What does Scarry say about things that were once ugly and then appear beautiful?
(a) They can be pleasant surprises.
(b) They are worse than beautiful things going ugly.
(c) They are revelatory moments.
(d) They show long hidden truth.
3. What kind of approach does Scarry say Marxism takes?
4. What does Scarry say is the general attitude toward beauty?
(a) It is productive.
(b) It is destructive.
(c) It causes both harm and damage.
(d) It goes back and forth.
5. What does Matisse blame for her preference in trees?
(a) Cultural differences.
(b) Past experiences.
(c) Heart ache.
(d) Things her father said.
6. What kind of approach does Scarry say feminism takes?
7. How did Da Vinci create beauty?
(a) He painted.
(b) He was an inventor.
(c) All of these.
(d) He sketched.
8. What replaces the paint brush for part of The Morning Session?
(b) Palm fronds.
(d) Ink pens.
9. What does Scarry say has an immortal reach?
10. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In her taste.
(b) In beauty.
(c) In art.
(d) In music.
11. What does Scarry say we should stop doing to objects?
(a) Judging them.
(b) Caring about them.
(c) Using them.
(d) Scorning them.
12. When did beauty in post colonialism make a huge entrance in studies?
(a) The 1980's.
(b) The 1990's.
(c) The 1970's.
(d) The 1960's.
13. What kind of error does Scarry say is not an error of beauty?
(a) Religious error.
(b) Visual errors.
(c) Intellectual errors.
(d) Philosophical errors.
14. Where did Matisse do most of his work?
(b) A stage.
(c) The studio.
(d) A bathroom.
15. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The need for beauty.
(b) The desire to reach perfection.
(c) The desire to attempt creation.
(d) The need for impulses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was beauty largely noticed in the 1990's?
2. What form did Scarry study most in Matisse's work?
3. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
4. What led to Proust's desire to stay somewhere the rest of his life?
5. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)