|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Scarry's third conclusion about Odysseus's visit?
(a) Beauty is new.
(b) Beauty can be evil.
(c) Beauty is life saving.
(d) Beauty cannot always last.
2. When was "The Morning Session" painted?
3. What kind of book is this?
(c) Self Help.
4. Where did Scarry find a motif?
(a) In music.
(b) In beauty.
(c) In art.
(d) In her taste.
5. Where did Scarry first see beauty in a certain tree?
(a) A dream.
(b) A book.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A painting.
6. What kind of tree did Matisse love?
7. How does Scarry say she feels when she stops craving beauty?
8. What kind of limitation does Scarry say keeps most people from seeing beauty?
9. Why does the author want to perpetuate beauty?
(a) All of these.
(b) To make life happier.
(c) To show she is write.
(d) To make the world better.
10. Scarry says there is no end to ______________for beauty.
(a) The place.
(b) The desire.
(c) The need.
(d) All of these.
11. How does Scarry prove her ideas about beauty?
(a) She interviews other leaders.
(b) She gives her own experiences.
(c) She cites studies.
(d) She quotes old philosophers.
12. What did Wittgenstein say marked true beauty?
13. What does Scarry say marked works created imperfectly?
(a) The desire to attempt creation.
(b) The desire to reach perfection.
(c) The need for beauty.
(d) The need for impulses.
14. When does Scarry say beauty is not sacred?
(a) When it is mortal.
(b) When it is used for evil.
(c) When it is immortal.
(d) When it is corrupted.
15. What kind of tree did Matisse always hate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scarry say is the first form of art replication?
2. What shocked Scarry about the bird in the tree?
3. What kind of writing from Danto is cited in this book?
4. Why was Voroccio important to Da Vinci?
5. Scarry says most beauty is what kind of event?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)