1. What genre does this book fit in and why?
This book fits into the philosophy genre of literature because it lists the author's philosophy on love and beauty and their effects on society.
2. Why does Scarry defend beauty?
Scarry says that she defends beauty because it is the greatest motivating factor in society, and it leads to the reproduction of many worthwhile things in life.
3. What happened to the humanities in the 1990's?
In the 1990's, the humanities were changed as beauty was disavowed as an important part of the arts.
4. Why does Scarry say some people do not defend beauty?
Scarry says that the people who do not defend beauty fail to do so because they have not encountered true beauty in their lives yet, and they feel jealous.
5. What theoretical approaches were majorly emphasized in the 1990's?
In the 1990's there were three major theoretical approaches that were emphasized in a big way. These three theoretical approaches were feminism, Marxism, and post-colonialism.
This section contains 2,333 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)