* On Beauty and Being Just is a philosophical argument leading to the conclusion that beauty produces equality and social good.
* Scarry writes in defense of beauty because she says it motivates people to do good and make things better when we can.
* She cites Wittgenstein who said that beauty created the desire to replicate. Plato said that was the reason people had babies.
* A sonnet from Dante is quoted which talks about the impulse of unceasing begetting. It is strongly remarked that true beauty is only there when it is replicated.
* Scarry says that even poor works of art are created in an effort to reproduce beautiful things that are seen.
* Scarry talks about noticing changes in beauty, like when something that was beautiful turns ugly and when something that was ugly turns beautiful.
* She says she once thought palm fronds were ugly...
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)