|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sentence given to Oliver after his hearing?
2. What does Mrs. Sowerberry do to Oliver when he threatens Noah one night after a lot of taunting?
3. Where does Toby leave Oliver after the botched robbery?
4. What does Oliver wish to do during his first few days at Fagin's house?
5. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position does Mr. Sowerberry have Oliver take in his business, and how does Oliver feel about it?
2. What does Mr. Giles say when he is asked by the police if Oliver is the child he saw with the robbers the night before?
3. What does Mr. Bumble do to secure for himself the position he hopes to be advanced to?
4. How does Oliver find food on his long journey to London after he runs away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
5. Why does Mr. Brownlow offer to raise the reward on Bill and Fagin's heads?
6. What happens when Oliver knocks on the door of the house he tried to rob?
7. How does Bill try to hide the evidence of his murder?
8. What does Oliver do at the regular workhouse that gets him in trouble?
9. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
10. What reason does Fagin give for having Noah spy on Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)