|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dodger most worried about when Oliver was taken away after the theft of the handkerchief?
2. How old is Oliver when he is taken to the regular workhouse?
3. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
4. Where does Oliver sleep when he lives with the Sowerberrys?
5. What is Oliver accused of stealing when Nancy and Bill take him away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bill and Nancy see Oliver on the street when Oliver is sent on his errand to the booksellers?
2. What reason does Fagin give for having Noah spy on Nancy?
3. What position does Mr. Sowerberry have Oliver take in his business, and how does Oliver feel about it?
4. What does Nancy say when she hears about what happened to Oliver at the robbery?
5. When they talk on the bridge, why does Nancy tell Rose that she can never leave Fagin?
6. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
7. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
8. What does Nancy do when Bill refuses to let her out of the house on Sunday night?
9. What does Sally take from Oliver's mother when she dies?
10. How does Nancy find out where Oliver is staying when he is in town with Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout the course of this book. Name some of these instances, and explain how these affect the characters in these scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)