|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many infants die of while Oliver works for Mr. Sowerberry?
2. What are Noah and Charlotte doing when Mr. Bumble stops by to announce Sally's death to the Sowerberrys?
3. How far away is London when Oliver decides to run away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
4. Who does Fagin get to force Oliver to cooperate while they are away at the next big robbery?
5. How does the dying woman tell Mrs. Corney her secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
2. Why does Mr. Brownlow leave so suddenly for the West Indies?
3. Why does Fagin think he needs to use Oliver in his next big robbery with Bill?
4. What is the first assignment Fagin gives to Noah when he begins working for him?
5. What do Dodger and Charley do to try and get Oliver to stay in their gang?
6. Who wants to take Oliver off the parishes' hands, and why is he refused?
7. How does Fagin feel about his main partner in crime?
8. What happens when Oliver runs an errand for Mrs. Maylie while Rose is sick?
9. What does Nancy tell Oliver when she comes to take Oliver to Bill's house just before the big robbery?
10. How does Oliver feel when he is apprenticed to Mr. Sowerberry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of different characters. Name some of these instances, and explain how fear affects the characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Oliver endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)