|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
2. What does Mr. Grimwig say to Mr. Brownlow about Oliver?
3. What is Oliver accused of stealing when Nancy and Bill take him away?
4. How many men chase after Bill and Toby after the attempted robbery?
5. Who asks Mr. Bumble to send their love to Oliver in London before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dickens excuse Dodger and Charley's reaction to the events after the theft of the handkerchief?
2. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
3. What does Mr. Giles not tell Mrs. Maylie about Oliver, and why?
4. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him when they are traveling to the site of the big robbery?
5. What does Rose say is the only way she will agree to marry Harry, and why does she feel this way?
6. What kind of nightmare does Oliver have when Harry comes to see Rose, and what does he see when he wakes up?
7. What does Nancy tell Oliver when she comes to take Oliver to Bill's house just before the big robbery?
8. How does Oliver feel about what he witnesses on the day of Fagin's hanging?
9. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
10. What does Sally take from Oliver's mother when she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)