|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
2. What does Oliver find in every room of Fagin's house when he is locked in there all day?
3. What is Bill Sikes' occupation?
4. How does Charley plan to retire from working for Fagin one day soon?
5. What was Dodger most worried about when Oliver was taken away after the theft of the handkerchief?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oliver feel about what he witnesses on the day of Fagin's hanging?
2. How does Oliver spend the spring with Rose and Mrs. Maylie?
3. Why does Mr. Brownlow offer to raise the reward on Bill and Fagin's heads?
4. What does Sally take from Oliver's mother when she dies?
5. Why does Fagin think he needs to use Oliver in his next big robbery with Bill?
6. How does Nancy find out where Oliver is staying when he is in town with Rose?
7. What position does Mr. Sowerberry have Oliver take in his business, and how does Oliver feel about it?
8. What happens when Bill and Nancy see Oliver on the street when Oliver is sent on his errand to the booksellers?
9. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
10. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)