|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oliver given on the day of the big robbery?
2. What do Dodger and Charley do when Oliver is caught by a policeman?
3. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
4. Who asks Mr. Bumble to send their love to Oliver in London before he leaves?
5. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him when they are traveling to the site of the big robbery?
2. What does Charley do when Bill enters Toby's hideout?
3. How do Bill and his dog die?
4. What kind of nightmare does Oliver have when Harry comes to see Rose, and what does he see when he wakes up?
5. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
6. What, and how often, does Harry ask Oliver to write to him after Harry leaves his mother's house?
7. What does Mr. Giles say when he is asked by the police if Oliver is the child he saw with the robbers the night before?
8. Why does Mr. Brownlow offer to raise the reward on Bill and Fagin's heads?
9. When they talk on the bridge, why does Nancy tell Rose that she can never leave Fagin?
10. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Old Sally is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if Sally had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)