|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oliver's job at the regular workhouse?
2. What does Fagin threaten to do to Oliver if he tries to run away again?
3. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
4. What is Mrs. Corney about to do just before Mr. Bumble comes to visit her?
5. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Oliver knocks on the door of the house he tried to rob?
2. What does Oliver do at the regular workhouse that gets him in trouble?
3. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him when they are traveling to the site of the big robbery?
4. What does Charley worry will happen if Dodger is shipped away?
5. How do Bill and his dog die?
6. What happens when Bill and Nancy see Oliver on the street when Oliver is sent on his errand to the booksellers?
7. Why does Fagin think he needs to use Oliver in his next big robbery with Bill?
8. Who wants to take Oliver off the parishes' hands, and why is he refused?
9. What does Rose say is the only way she will agree to marry Harry, and why does she feel this way?
10. What reason does Fagin give for having Noah spy on Nancy?
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Dickens present the theme in a dynamic way?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)