Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Bumble planning to go to court in London after Oliver is taken back to Fagin's house?
2. What does Mr. Brownlow say that Oliver must do to get his help?
3. What does Oliver do when he realizes what he is expected to do?
4. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
5. How many men chase after Bill and Toby after the attempted robbery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Mr. Brownlow need from Fagin before Fagin is hung?
2. What is the first assignment Fagin gives to Noah when he begins working for him?
3. How does Oliver find food on his long journey to London after he runs away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
4. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
5. What position does Mr. Sowerberry have Oliver take in his business, and how does Oliver feel about it?
6. When they talk on the bridge, why does Nancy tell Rose that she can never leave Fagin?
7. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him when they are traveling to the site of the big robbery?
8. Why does Mr. Brownlow offer to raise the reward on Bill and Fagin's heads?
9. What do Rose and the others decide to do about the news that Nancy has brought them?
10. How does Oliver feel about what he witnesses on the day of Fagin's hanging?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout the course of this book. Name some of these instances, and explain how these affect the characters in these scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)