|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill doing to his dog when Fagin gives him his take from a recent robbery?
2. What does Mr. Sowerberry dress Oliver up to do?
3. What is the first job Fagin gives to Oliver on his first morning in Fagin's house?
4. What is the name of the lady of the house that Oliver tries to rob?
5. What does Oliver admire when he starts to recover from his fever after the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fagin feel about his main partner in crime?
2. What, and how often, does Harry ask Oliver to write to him after Harry leaves his mother's house?
3. How does Oliver feel when he is apprenticed to Mr. Sowerberry?
4. What does Oliver think Bill wants to do with him when they are traveling to the site of the big robbery?
5. What does Mr. Giles not tell Mrs. Maylie about Oliver, and why?
6. What happens when Fagin sends Oliver out with Dodger and Charley for the first time?
7. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
8. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
9. How does Oliver spend the spring with Rose and Mrs. Maylie?
10. What does Nancy offer to do so that Rose can reach her if need be, and what is she risking to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book. Also explain how this particular motivation affects the characters around them.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)