|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dodger and Charley do when Oliver is caught by a policeman?
2. What is Mr. Gamfield's occupation?
3. Why does Oliver decide to run away to London after leaving the Sowerberrys' house?
4. What does Oliver wish to do during his first few days at Fagin's house?
5. What does Bill make Oliver drink at Toby's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
2. What kind of nightmare does Oliver have when Harry comes to see Rose, and what does he see when he wakes up?
3. Why does Fagin think he needs to use Oliver in his next big robbery with Bill?
4. Why does Mr. Brownlow leave so suddenly for the West Indies?
5. How does Dickens excuse Dodger and Charley's reaction to the events after the theft of the handkerchief?
6. What, and how often, does Harry ask Oliver to write to him after Harry leaves his mother's house?
7. What does Nancy do when Bill refuses to let her out of the house on Sunday night?
8. Why does Mr. Brownlow offer to raise the reward on Bill and Fagin's heads?
9. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
10. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty is a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Dickens present the theme in a dynamic way?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)