|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver see Fagin looking at when he wakes up in Fagin's house for the first time?
2. What does Oliver's mother do just before she dies?
3. What does Oliver tell Rose and the doctor when he comes to after being treated for his wounds?
4. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
5. What does Mr. Sowerberry dress Oliver up to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nancy tell Oliver when she comes to take Oliver to Bill's house just before the big robbery?
2. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
3. What kind of nightmare does Oliver have when Harry comes to see Rose, and what does he see when he wakes up?
4. How does Dickens excuse Dodger and Charley's reaction to the events after the theft of the handkerchief?
5. How does Nancy react when Fagin strikes Oliver for trying to run away?
6. How does Oliver find food on his long journey to London after he runs away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
7. What does Rose say is the only way she will agree to marry Harry, and why does she feel this way?
8. What reason does Fagin give for having Noah spy on Nancy?
9. What does Mr. Bumble tell Mr. Brownlow when he arrives in London, and what is Mr. Brownlow's response to this?
10. What does Charley worry will happen if Dodger is shipped away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)