|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first place Fagin goes to find Bill after Toby's report?
2. What is Mrs. Sowerberry's main complaint about children?
3. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
4. What is Mr. Gamfield's occupation?
5. What do Charley and Dodger take from Oliver when he is brought back to Fagin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oliver decide to do during the big robbery?
2. What position does Mr. Sowerberry have Oliver take in his business, and how does Oliver feel about it?
3. How does Oliver find food on his long journey to London after he runs away from Mr. Sowerberry's house?
4. What condition is given in Oliver's father's will about his son receiving an inheritance?
5. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
6. Where does Charley end up at the end of the book, and why?
7. What does Nancy offer to do so that Rose can reach her if need be, and what is she risking to do this?
8. What does Fagin do when he hears about what happened to Oliver during the botched robbery?
9. What happens when Oliver finally loses patience with Noah and his mocking?
10. What does Mr. Giles not tell Mrs. Maylie about Oliver, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor is a theme of this play, and it is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book. Also explain how this particular motivation affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this story. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this story?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)