|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fagin strike Oliver with when he tries to run away?
2. What is Fagin most worried about when he hears that Oliver is in jail?
3. What does Mr. Sowerberry dress Oliver up to do?
4. Who takes care of Oliver after his mother dies?
5. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
2. How does Nancy find out where Oliver is staying when he is in town with Rose?
3. What does Mr. Giles say when he is asked by the police if Oliver is the child he saw with the robbers the night before?
4. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
5. What does Mr. Bumble do to secure for himself the position he hopes to be advanced to?
6. What information does Mr. Brownlow need from Fagin before Fagin is hung?
7. Who wants to take Oliver off the parishes' hands, and why is he refused?
8. What does Nancy offer to do so that Rose can reach her if need be, and what is she risking to do this?
9. How does Bill try to hide the evidence of his murder?
10. How do Bill and his dog die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty is a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Dickens present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout the course of this book. Name some of these instances, and explain how these affect the characters in these scenes.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)