|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Mr. Giles be in trouble with the law for?
2. What happens to Oliver during his hearing?
3. What is Oliver's job at the regular workhouse?
4. What does Bill make Oliver drink at Toby's house?
5. What does Mr. Bumble do to entertain himself while Mrs. Corney is away with the dying woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bill and his dog die?
2. Where is Oliver's mother found before she gives birth, and what is her condition?
3. What happens when Oliver runs an errand for Mrs. Maylie while Rose is sick?
4. What, and how often, does Harry ask Oliver to write to him after Harry leaves his mother's house?
5. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
6. What does Mr. Bumble do to secure for himself the position he hopes to be advanced to?
7. What happens when Bill and Nancy see Oliver on the street when Oliver is sent on his errand to the booksellers?
8. What information does Mr. Brownlow need from Fagin before Fagin is hung?
9. How does Dickens excuse Dodger and Charley's reaction to the events after the theft of the handkerchief?
10. What does Mr. Giles not tell Mrs. Maylie about Oliver, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Oliver endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)