|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oliver given on the day of the big robbery?
2. What does Mr. Sowerberry do when he returns home and hears what has happened while he was gone?
3. What is Bill doing to his dog when Fagin gives him his take from a recent robbery?
4. Why does Bill put the wounded Oliver in the ditch after the attempted robbery?
5. How much is the parish willing to offer to someone to take Oliver off their hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Brownlow leave so suddenly for the West Indies?
2. How does Oliver feel about what he witnesses on the day of Fagin's hanging?
3. Where is Oliver's mother found before she gives birth, and what is her condition?
4. What is the first assignment Fagin gives to Noah when he begins working for him?
5. What has Harry done in order to get Rose to marry him?
6. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Bumble end up at the end of the book?
7. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
8. What happens when Fagin sends Oliver out with Dodger and Charley for the first time?
9. What information does Mr. Brownlow need from Fagin before Fagin is hung?
10. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty is a very important theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does Dickens present the theme in a dynamic way?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships, and compare and contrast them with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this play. What are some examples of this theme, and how do they affect the characters involved?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)