|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Toby leave Oliver after the botched robbery?
2. What does Noah tease Oliver about while they work together?
3. What does Oliver wish to do during his first few days at Fagin's house?
4. What does Mr. Bumble see on a sign when he first arrives in London after Oliver is taken to Fagin's house?
5. What does Oliver eat at Toby's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Brownlow leave so suddenly for the West Indies?
2. What happens when Oliver knocks on the door of the house he tried to rob?
3. What does Oliver do when he is punished for his attack after Mr. Sowerberry comes home?
4. How does Dickens excuse Dodger and Charley's reaction to the events after the theft of the handkerchief?
5. How does Nancy react when Fagin strikes Oliver for trying to run away?
6. What condition is given in Oliver's father's will about his son receiving an inheritance?
7. How do the people in Mrs. Maylie's house feel about Oliver when he comes to after having his gunshot wound tended to?
8. When they talk on the bridge, why does Nancy tell Rose that she can never leave Fagin?
9. Why is Mr. Bumble so miserable in his new position and marriage?
10. How does Bill try to hide the evidence of his murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and describe their main motivation throughout the book. Also explain how this particular motivation affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Old Sally is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if Sally had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)