|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Noah taunt Oliver to the point of rage while they work together for the undertaker?
2. Who gives Oliver his daily beatings while he is in solitary confinement?
3. Where is Oliver born?
4. What is Noah proud of even though he is a charity case?
5. How do Bill and Oliver travel to the big robbery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bill and Nancy see Oliver on the street when Oliver is sent on his errand to the booksellers?
2. What does Mr. Bumble do to secure for himself the position he hopes to be advanced to?
3. What does Mr. Giles say when he is asked by the police if Oliver is the child he saw with the robbers the night before?
4. How is Oliver's name cleared at the hearing after the theft of the handkerchief?
5. Why does Fagin think he needs to use Oliver in his next big robbery with Bill?
6. How does Oliver feel about what he witnesses on the day of Fagin's hanging?
7. What does Oliver do when he is punished for his attack after Mr. Sowerberry comes home?
8. What information does Mr. Brownlow need from Fagin before Fagin is hung?
9. What does Charley worry will happen if Dodger is shipped away?
10. What happens when Oliver finally loses patience with Noah and his mocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Valor is a theme of this play, and it is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself, and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)