Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• Oliver's mother is found on the streets and is taken to a workhouse where she gives birth and then dies. Oliver is left in the care of the drunken nurse who helped deliver him.
• Oliver grows up in a workhouse for children where many children die from malnutrition and diseases caught from lack of bathing. At age nine, he is taken to a regular workhouse.
• Oliver begins to earn a wage for picking Oakrum at the regular workhouse, but he and the other boys there are starving from the thin gruel they are fed.
• The boys nominate Oliver to ask for seconds at mealtime one day. Oliver is locked in solitary confinement, and signs are posted offering five pounds to anyone who will take Oliver.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• Oliver is sent to solitary confinement for asking for more food, and is only taken out to be beaten...
This section contains 4,325 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)