|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(b) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(c) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(d) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
2. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) The puppy licks his hand.
(b) The puppy jumps on his bed.
(c) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(d) His horse licks his hand.
3. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is woman's work.
(b) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
(c) It is a child's job.
(d) It is boring work.
4. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will work hard.
(c) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(d) He thinks she will pester him all day.
5. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
(a) Old Yeller pushing them into a ring.
(b) The sight of Travis hovering above them.
(c) Old Yeller nipping at their heals.
(d) The squealing and scent of blood.
6. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
(a) He is yellow like Old Yeller.
(b) He is dirty white and speckled with blue spots.
(c) He is gray with blue spots.
(d) He is brown with white spots.
7. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
(b) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(c) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
(d) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
8. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
(a) He runs out to see what is happening.
(b) He holds Arliss in his lap.
(c) He gets his gun.
(d) He runs out to see if Mama is OK.
9. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
(a) It is a clean gash but not bleeding much.
(b) It is only a scratch.
(c) It is long but not too deep.
(d) He is cut to the bone.
10. How much longer will Papa be away?
(a) One week.
(b) One more month.
(c) Mama says anytime now.
(d) Two more weeks.
11. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
(a) He leaves her because she isn't much help to him.
(b) He leaves her because she is annoying him.
(c) He leaves her to help Mama while Travis is recuperating.
(d) He leaves her to take care of Old Yeller.
12. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(b) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(c) A bar' hog bites his foot.
(d) The pigs jump on top of him.
13. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
(a) They stand in the snow until someone leads them home.
(b) They head back to the barn.
(c) They go into caves in the side of the hill.
(d) They pack leaves and dry grass into a thicket or cave and sleep in it.
14. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
(a) It will provide them with enough meat for the winter.
(b) It is no good for milking.
(c) Old Yeller needs the meat to get well.
(d) It has hydrophobia.
15. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He drags it to the river.
(b) He cuts its throat.
(c) He pushes it into a ravine.
(d) He shoots it between the eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
2. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
3. How do Travis and Old Yeller feel for a couple of weeks after the hog attack?
4. What is the trouble that Travis thinks is too big for any of them to handle?
5. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)