|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
(a) He thrashes about and Travis has to hold him down.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He just lays there and licks Travis' hand.
(d) He growls and bares his teeth.
2. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
(a) Underslope and overbit.
(b) Crop and underbit.
(c) Crop and overbit.
(d) Crop and underslope.
3. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A bull.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A fox.
4. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
(a) They need the corn to eat until winter comes.
(b) They need the corn to feed the cows.
(c) They won't have any corn meal for bread in the winter.
(d) The corn is for the sheep.
5. What does Mama use to give water to Old Yeller?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Travis' hat.
(c) Her purse.
(d) A cowhide sack.
6. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home before it gets dark.
(c) They get home at midnight.
(d) They get home just as it gets dark.
7. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
(b) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
(c) They burn it where it lays.
(d) They cover it with a pile of stones.
8. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a piece of rawhide.
(b) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(c) She brought her thread with her.
(d) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
9. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
(a) Travis says that Mama can hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(b) Travis says that they can drag Old Yeller in a blanket.
(c) Travis says that he will hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(d) Travis says they can put Old Yeller in a cart.
10. Why isn't Travis excited about the puppy that Lisbeth gives to him?
(a) He wants a horse instead.
(b) He doesn't want the trouble of another dog.
(c) He doesn't want a puppy because he has Old Yeller.
(d) He wants a purebred dog instead.
11. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
(a) At daybreak.
(b) When darkness came.
(c) At midnight.
(d) At suppertime.
12. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(b) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(c) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(d) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
13. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) It teaches him to be more of a man.
(b) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
(c) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
(d) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
14. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
(a) He hears the hogs squealing.
(b) He hears Old Yeller baying.
(c) He sees a cougar watching from a high cliff.
(d) He sees and eagle circling.
15. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
(b) He groans and hides.
(c) He whimpers weakly.
(d) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
2. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
3. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
4. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
5. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)