|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
(a) Training an arm to throw a rock.
(b) Training the mouth to whistle.
(c) Training the eye to wink.
(d) Training a foot to kick a stone.
2. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) His horse licks his hand.
(b) The puppy jumps on his bed.
(c) The puppy licks his hand.
(d) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
3. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They turn and try to run away.
(b) They charge at them.
(c) They back up into a corner.
(d) They roar and pop their teeth.
4. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
(a) She tells Arliss to wait over by Jumper.
(b) She tells Arliss to go play at the river.
(c) She tells Arliss to go catch her a green-striped lizard.
(d) She tells Arliss to catch her a big frog for dinner.
5. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
(a) He sleeps for days.
(b) He can't seem to get over it.
(c) He gets on with his life.
(d) He cries all the time.
6. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
(a) He keeps the ears to show Papa when he comes home.
(b) He keeps the ears so he can get an accurate count of how many pigs there are.
(c) He keeps the ears to make a necklace.
(d) He keeps the ears as trophies.
7. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
(a) A Bowie knife.
(b) A horse.
(c) A new saddle.
(d) A new rifle.
8. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
(a) He leaves her because she is annoying him.
(b) He leaves her to take care of Old Yeller.
(c) He leaves her because she isn't much help to him.
(d) He leaves her to help Mama while Travis is recuperating.
9. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
(a) The bottom of a gorge.
(b) Near the river.
(c) A dry, sandy wash.
(d) A mud pool.
10. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
(a) He is angry that Spot got hydrophobia.
(b) He feels stronger than he has in a long time.
(c) He is sad and upset.
(d) He is weak, sweating, and trembling.
11. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
(a) She doesn't care.
(b) She tells him that he is rude.
(c) Her feelings are hurt.
(d) She slaps him.
12. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(b) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(c) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(d) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
13. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
(a) He is gray with blue spots.
(b) He is yellow like Old Yeller.
(c) He is brown with white spots.
(d) He is dirty white and speckled with blue spots.
14. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(c) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(d) He thinks she will work hard.
15. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home before it gets dark.
(c) They get home just as it gets dark.
(d) They get home at midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
2. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
3. What does Travis do while Mama, Lisbeth, and Old Yeller go to burn Spot?
4. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
5. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)