|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(c) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
2. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
(b) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
(c) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(d) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
3. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
(a) Travis pushes him under an overhanging rock and covers the opening with a mesquite stump.
(b) Travis covers him with branches.
(c) Travis digs a hole and places Old Yeller in it.
(d) Travis pushes him into a cave.
4. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He pushes it into a ravine.
(b) He shoots it between the eyes.
(c) He cuts its throat.
(d) He drags it to the river.
5. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
(a) It will provide them with enough meat for the winter.
(b) Old Yeller needs the meat to get well.
(c) It has hydrophobia.
(d) It is no good for milking.
6. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
(a) She tells Travis that they will have to wait until the next day to go back to Old Yeller.
(b) She tells Travis they can't go to Old Yeller until Travis' wound is cleaned up.
(c) She tells Travis that Old Yeller is probably dead already.
(d) She tells Travis that they will leave right away to go back to Old Yeller.
7. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
(a) They are grumpy.
(b) They are scratching their skin.
(c) They are laughing and having a good time.
(d) They are complaining about the corn shucks.
8. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She brought her thread with her.
(b) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(c) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(d) She uses a piece of rawhide.
9. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He is still mad at her.
(d) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
10. How does Travis shoot Old Yeller?
(a) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is sleeping.
(b) He calls Old Yeller to him and shoots the dog in the head.
(c) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is looking the other way.
(d) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is eating his food.
11. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
(a) He shoots the wolf when it is on top of Old Yeller.
(b) He shoots the wolf when it leaps at him.
(c) He shoots the wolf when it is pinned by Old Yeller.
(d) He shoots the wolf when it backs away from Old Yeller.
12. What does Old Yeller do when Travis reaches for him?
(a) Old Yeller lunges at him with bared fangs.
(b) Old Yeller loses consciousness.
(c) Old Yeller licks his hand.
(d) Old Yeller whimpers in pain.
13. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
(a) It falls to its knees.
(b) It goes after Old Yeller instead.
(c) It falls in a hole.
(d) It runs into a tree.
14. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
(a) He cries all the time.
(b) He gets on with his life.
(c) He can't seem to get over it.
(d) He sleeps for days.
15. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
(a) He gets his gun.
(b) He runs out to see if Mama is OK.
(c) He holds Arliss in his lap.
(d) He runs out to see what is happening.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
2. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
3. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
4. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
5. What is the trouble that Travis thinks is too big for any of them to handle?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)