|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
(b) Range hogs.
(c) Bar' hogs.
2. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
(a) Four pigs, one sow, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(b) Three pigs, two sows, and four bar' hogs.
(c) Five pigs, two sows, and one bar' hog.
(d) Five pigs, three sows, and a couple of bar' hogs.
3. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(c) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(d) He thinks she will work hard.
4. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(b) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(c) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(d) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
5. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
(a) It hurts his pride.
(b) He wants to tell her that she is useless.
(c) He's glad to be out of it.
(d) He wishes she would leave.
6. What does Papa bring home with him?
(a) A new ranch hand, and a horse for Travis.
(b) An old friend and a horse for Travis.
(c) Money, laughter, and a horse for Travis.
(d) A milking cow and a horse for Travis.
7. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
(a) They keep then in a barn.
(b) They keep them in a lean to.
(c) They keep them in a fenced pasture.
(d) They are loose on the range.
8. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) The pigs jump on top of him.
(b) A bar' hog bites his foot.
(c) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(d) A hog grabs him by his angle.
9. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
(a) Travis watches over Arliss and Mama.
(b) Travis has nightmares about mad dogs and wolves.
(c) Travis stays awake watching for mad animals.
(d) Travis stays awake praying for Papa to come home.
10. What lures wolves to the cabin?
(a) The sounds of humans.
(b) The scent of blood from Old Yeller.
(c) The scent of dead meat.
(d) Mama cooking meat on the stove.
11. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
(a) She ties a chunk of wood to his forefoot.
(b) She ties him to a tree.
(c) She ties a large stone to his back leg.
(d) She ties his back legs together.
12. What is the condition of Travis' wound by the time they arrive home?
(a) It feels a lot better.
(b) It is swollen but not stiff.
(c) It is stiff but the swelling is down.
(d) It is stiff, swollen, and numb.
13. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
(a) The bottom of a gorge.
(b) Near the river.
(c) A mud pool.
(d) A dry, sandy wash.
14. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(b) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(c) She brought her thread with her.
(d) She uses a piece of rawhide.
15. What game were Little Arliss and the puppy playing?
(a) They were playing ball.
(b) They were playing a wrestling game.
(c) They were playing fetch with a stick.
(d) They were playing tug with a frayed rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
2. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
3. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
4. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
5. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)