|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
(a) He runs out to see what is happening.
(b) He runs out to see if Mama is OK.
(c) He gets his gun.
(d) He holds Arliss in his lap.
2. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
(a) He sees and eagle circling.
(b) He hears Old Yeller baying.
(c) He hears the hogs squealing.
(d) He sees a cougar watching from a high cliff.
3. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
(b) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(c) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
(d) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
4. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(b) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(c) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(d) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
5. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
(a) They will shake their tusks but then run off.
(b) They will kill their pursuer.
(c) They will turn and walk away.
(d) They will back away slowly.
6. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His bull whip.
(d) His gun.
7. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He doesn't care about it.
(d) He doesn't want it.
8. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He cuts its throat.
(b) He shoots it between the eyes.
(c) He drags it to the river.
(d) He pushes it into a ravine.
9. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home before it gets dark.
(c) They get home at midnight.
(d) They get home just as it gets dark.
10. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
(a) Travis covers him with branches.
(b) Travis pushes him into a cave.
(c) Travis pushes him under an overhanging rock and covers the opening with a mesquite stump.
(d) Travis digs a hole and places Old Yeller in it.
11. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) The pigs jump on top of him.
(b) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(c) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(d) A bar' hog bites his foot.
12. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
(a) She works hard.
(b) She reads most of the time.
(c) She plays with the puppy all day.
(d) She plays with Arliss all day.
13. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
(a) Prickly-pear roots.
(b) Flour and vinegar.
(c) Turpentine and mud.
(d) Bear fat.
14. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
(a) He can't seem to get over it.
(b) He sleeps for days.
(c) He gets on with his life.
(d) He cries all the time.
15. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
(a) It falls to its knees.
(b) It goes after Old Yeller instead.
(c) It falls in a hole.
(d) It runs into a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
2. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
3. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
4. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
5. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)