|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
(a) His bull whip.
(b) His gun.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His shoes.
2. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
(a) Bar' hogs.
(c) Range hogs.
3. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(b) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(c) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
4. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They turn and try to run away.
(b) They roar and pop their teeth.
(c) They charge at them.
(d) They back up into a corner.
5. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
(a) When they are two years old.
(b) When being chased.
(c) When they get old.
(d) When cornered.
6. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a piece of rawhide.
(b) She brought her thread with her.
(c) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(d) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
7. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
(a) Old Yeller tracks the wolf and catches up with him.
(b) The wolf attacks Old Yeller while he is getting a drink.
(c) The wolf goes after Mama when she stops for water.
(d) The wolf attacks Jumper and Old Yeller jumps him.
8. How does Mama clean Travis' wound?
(a) She washes it with hot water and then poured iodine on it.
(b) She washes it with hot water and then poured turpentine on it.
(c) She washes it with hot water and then poured hot candle wax on it.
(d) She washes it with hot water and then poured salt in it.
9. How do Travis and Old Yeller feel for a couple of weeks after the hog attack?
(a) They both recover quickly.
(b) Old Yeller recovers quickly but Travis has a rough time.
(c) They both have a rough time of it.
(d) Travis is feeling fine but Old Yeller has a rough time.
10. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He doesn't care about it.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(d) He hates it.
11. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
(a) A new rifle.
(b) A Bowie knife.
(c) A new saddle.
(d) A horse.
12. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
(a) He knows that he has to shoot her.
(b) She is vomiting constantly.
(c) She is starving and looks like a skeleton.
(d) He sees that a wound on her side is covered in maggots.
13. How does Travis shoot Old Yeller?
(a) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is looking the other way.
(b) He calls Old Yeller to him and shoots the dog in the head.
(c) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is sleeping.
(d) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is eating his food.
14. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
(a) Old Yeller needs the meat to get well.
(b) It is no good for milking.
(c) It will provide them with enough meat for the winter.
(d) It has hydrophobia.
15. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
(a) Travis watches over Arliss and Mama.
(b) Travis stays awake watching for mad animals.
(c) Travis stays awake praying for Papa to come home.
(d) Travis has nightmares about mad dogs and wolves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
2. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
3. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
4. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
5. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)