|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
(a) Holes left by meteors.
(b) Sharp-winged swallows had build nests on the face of the cliff that looked like honeycombs.
(c) A shape in the cliff that looked like a man.
(d) Cave men drawings.
2. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
(a) Old Yeller needs the meat to get well.
(b) It is no good for milking.
(c) It has hydrophobia.
(d) It will provide them with enough meat for the winter.
3. What does Papa bring home with him?
(a) A milking cow and a horse for Travis.
(b) An old friend and a horse for Travis.
(c) Money, laughter, and a horse for Travis.
(d) A new ranch hand, and a horse for Travis.
4. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home at midnight.
(c) They get home just as it gets dark.
(d) They get home before it gets dark.
5. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(b) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(c) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(d) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
6. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
(a) Five pigs, three sows, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(b) Five pigs, two sows, and one bar' hog.
(c) Four pigs, one sow, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(d) Three pigs, two sows, and four bar' hogs.
7. How does Mama clean Travis' wound?
(a) She washes it with hot water and then poured salt in it.
(b) She washes it with hot water and then poured turpentine on it.
(c) She washes it with hot water and then poured iodine on it.
(d) She washes it with hot water and then poured hot candle wax on it.
8. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
(a) He is weak, sweating, and trembling.
(b) He feels stronger than he has in a long time.
(c) He is sad and upset.
(d) He is angry that Spot got hydrophobia.
9. What is the hog's favorite food?
(a) Wild black persimmons.
(d) A baby fawn.
10. What does Travis do while Mama, Lisbeth, and Old Yeller go to burn Spot?
(a) He stays at home with Little Arliss.
(b) He cooks supper for everyone.
(c) He teaches Arliss how to shoot.
(d) He reads a book to Arliss.
11. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
(a) Her feelings are hurt.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She doesn't care.
(d) She tells him that he is rude.
12. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He growls and bares his teeth.
(c) He just lays there and licks Travis' hand.
(d) He thrashes about and Travis has to hold him down.
13. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
(a) Travis says that he will hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(b) Travis says that they can drag Old Yeller in a blanket.
(c) Travis says they can put Old Yeller in a cart.
(d) Travis says that Mama can hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
14. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
(a) Travis has nightmares about mad dogs and wolves.
(b) Travis watches over Arliss and Mama.
(c) Travis stays awake watching for mad animals.
(d) Travis stays awake praying for Papa to come home.
15. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(c) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(d) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
2. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
3. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
4. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
5. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)