|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
(a) Travis watches over Arliss and Mama.
(b) Travis has nightmares about mad dogs and wolves.
(c) Travis stays awake watching for mad animals.
(d) Travis stays awake praying for Papa to come home.
2. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
(b) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
(c) They cover it with a pile of stones.
(d) They burn it where it lays.
3. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
(a) He crawls under Travis' bed.
(b) He snarls and his hackles stand up.
(c) He tries to crawl away.
(d) He whimpers.
4. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
(a) She tells him that he is rude.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She doesn't care.
(d) Her feelings are hurt.
5. What do Travis and Mama first think Spot ate?
(a) Pea vine.
(b) Rotten sweet potatoes.
(c) Loco weed.
(d) Prickly pears.
6. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
(a) It is long but not too deep.
(b) It is only a scratch.
(c) It is a clean gash but not bleeding much.
(d) He is cut to the bone.
7. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He groans and hides.
(b) He whimpers weakly.
(c) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
(d) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
8. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
(b) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
(c) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(d) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
9. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His bull whip.
(d) His gun.
10. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
(a) The wolf goes after Mama when she stops for water.
(b) The wolf attacks Jumper and Old Yeller jumps him.
(c) The wolf attacks Old Yeller while he is getting a drink.
(d) Old Yeller tracks the wolf and catches up with him.
11. What lures wolves to the cabin?
(a) The sounds of humans.
(b) The scent of blood from Old Yeller.
(c) Mama cooking meat on the stove.
(d) The scent of dead meat.
12. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They back up into a corner.
(b) They roar and pop their teeth.
(c) They turn and try to run away.
(d) They charge at them.
13. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(b) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(c) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
(d) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
14. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
(a) He shoots the wolf when it is on top of Old Yeller.
(b) He shoots the wolf when it leaps at him.
(c) He shoots the wolf when it is pinned by Old Yeller.
(d) He shoots the wolf when it backs away from Old Yeller.
15. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
(a) He tries to get on Mama's good side while Papa is away.
(b) He always insults Old Yeller.
(c) He is a bother to Mama.
(d) He always yells at Little Arliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
2. What does Mama use to give water to Old Yeller?
3. Why isn't Travis excited about the puppy that Lisbeth gives to him?
4. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
5. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)