|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
(a) They are laughing and having a good time.
(b) They are grumpy.
(c) They are scratching their skin.
(d) They are complaining about the corn shucks.
2. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
(b) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
(c) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
(d) It teaches him to be more of a man.
3. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
(a) He whimpers.
(b) He tries to crawl away.
(c) He snarls and his hackles stand up.
(d) He crawls under Travis' bed.
4. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(b) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(c) She uses a piece of rawhide.
(d) She brought her thread with her.
5. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They roar and pop their teeth.
(b) They turn and try to run away.
(c) They charge at them.
(d) They back up into a corner.
6. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(b) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(c) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(d) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
7. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
(a) He is afraid the wolf will go after Mama.
(b) A loafer wolf is big and savage
(c) He is afraid the wolf will go after the puppy.
(d) He is afraid the wolf will turn on him.
8. What does Papa tell Travis about what he had to do to Old Yeller?
(a) Papa says that Travis needs to stop being a cry baby.
(b) Papa says that Travis needs to forget about Old Yeller.
(c) Papa says that Travis needs to toughen up.
(d) Papa says that life is cruel and unfair sometimes.
9. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A fox.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bull.
10. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) His horse licks his hand.
(b) The puppy jumps on his bed.
(c) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(d) The puppy licks his hand.
11. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(b) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(c) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(d) He thinks she will work hard.
12. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
(a) When they are two years old.
(b) When cornered.
(c) When being chased.
(d) When they get old.
13. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(b) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(c) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(d) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
14. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
(a) He drags Travis away from the hogs.
(b) The hogs back away from the snarls of Old Yeller.
(c) He chases the hogs away from Travis.
(d) He goes after them in a roaring rage.
15. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
(b) They cover it with a pile of stones.
(c) They burn it where it lays.
(d) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
2. What lures wolves to the cabin?
3. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
4. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
5. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)