|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lures wolves to the cabin?
(a) The sounds of humans.
(b) Mama cooking meat on the stove.
(c) The scent of blood from Old Yeller.
(d) The scent of dead meat.
2. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She brought her thread with her.
(b) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(c) She uses a piece of rawhide.
(d) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
3. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
(a) Three pigs, two sows, and four bar' hogs.
(b) Five pigs, two sows, and one bar' hog.
(c) Four pigs, one sow, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(d) Five pigs, three sows, and a couple of bar' hogs.
4. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
(a) The meat will be good for Old Yeller and the puppy.
(b) The meat will be good for the hogs.
(c) It might spread the disease.
(d) They can eat the meat themselves.
5. Why does Mama decide that the Spot heifer must be killed?
(a) It will provide them with enough meat for the winter.
(b) It is no good for milking.
(c) Old Yeller needs the meat to get well.
(d) It has hydrophobia.
6. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They cover it with a pile of stones.
(b) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
(c) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
(d) They burn it where it lays.
7. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
(a) They keep them in a fenced pasture.
(b) They keep then in a barn.
(c) They keep them in a lean to.
(d) They are loose on the range.
8. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
(a) A shape in the cliff that looked like a man.
(b) Cave men drawings.
(c) Sharp-winged swallows had build nests on the face of the cliff that looked like honeycombs.
(d) Holes left by meteors.
9. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They turn and try to run away.
(b) They back up into a corner.
(c) They roar and pop their teeth.
(d) They charge at them.
10. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is woman's work.
(b) It is a child's job.
(c) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
(d) It is boring work.
11. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(b) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
(c) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
(d) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
12. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home before it gets dark.
(b) They get home the next morning.
(c) They get home just as it gets dark.
(d) They get home at midnight.
13. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
(a) They are complaining about the corn shucks.
(b) They are laughing and having a good time.
(c) They are grumpy.
(d) They are scratching their skin.
14. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
(a) Travis says that he will hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(b) Travis says they can put Old Yeller in a cart.
(c) Travis says that they can drag Old Yeller in a blanket.
(d) Travis says that Mama can hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
15. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(b) He groans and hides.
(c) He whimpers weakly.
(d) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
2. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
3. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
4. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
5. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)