|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They turn and try to run away.
(b) They back up into a corner.
(c) They roar and pop their teeth.
(d) They charge at them.
2. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
(a) When they are two years old.
(b) When being chased.
(c) When cornered.
(d) When they get old.
3. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
(a) He drags Travis away from the hogs.
(b) The hogs back away from the snarls of Old Yeller.
(c) He goes after them in a roaring rage.
(d) He chases the hogs away from Travis.
4. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(c) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
5. How much longer will Papa be away?
(a) Two more weeks.
(b) Mama says anytime now.
(c) One more month.
(d) One week.
6. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He drags it to the river.
(b) He shoots it between the eyes.
(c) He cuts its throat.
(d) He pushes it into a ravine.
7. Why is Travis sickened when he looks at Spot?
(a) She is starving and looks like a skeleton.
(b) She is vomiting constantly.
(c) He sees that a wound on her side is covered in maggots.
(d) He knows that he has to shoot her.
8. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
(a) They head back to the barn.
(b) They go into caves in the side of the hill.
(c) They stand in the snow until someone leads them home.
(d) They pack leaves and dry grass into a thicket or cave and sleep in it.
9. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
(a) She reads most of the time.
(b) She works hard.
(c) She plays with Arliss all day.
(d) She plays with the puppy all day.
10. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
(a) Travis pushes him into a cave.
(b) Travis pushes him under an overhanging rock and covers the opening with a mesquite stump.
(c) Travis covers him with branches.
(d) Travis digs a hole and places Old Yeller in it.
11. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He doesn't care about it.
(d) He hates it.
12. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
(a) At midnight.
(b) When darkness came.
(c) At suppertime.
(d) At daybreak.
13. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
(d) He is still mad at her.
14. How does Travis feel about marking the hogs?
(a) He is looking forward to it.
(b) He is terrified and tries to find a way out of it.
(c) He is afraid but knows he has to do it.
(d) He thinks it's a tedious job.
15. What do Travis and Mama first think Spot ate?
(a) Pea vine.
(b) Prickly pears.
(c) Rotten sweet potatoes.
(d) Loco weed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of Travis' wound by the time they arrive home?
2. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
3. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
4. How does Mama clean Travis' wound?
5. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)