|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
(a) Training the mouth to whistle.
(b) Training an arm to throw a rock.
(c) Training the eye to wink.
(d) Training a foot to kick a stone.
2. What is the condition of Travis' wound by the time they arrive home?
(a) It is swollen but not stiff.
(b) It is stiff, swollen, and numb.
(c) It feels a lot better.
(d) It is stiff but the swelling is down.
3. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) Her feelings are hurt.
(c) She tells him that he is rude.
(d) She doesn't care.
4. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
(a) She tells Arliss to wait over by Jumper.
(b) She tells Arliss to go play at the river.
(c) She tells Arliss to catch her a big frog for dinner.
(d) She tells Arliss to go catch her a green-striped lizard.
5. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They turn and try to run away.
(b) They charge at them.
(c) They back up into a corner.
(d) They roar and pop their teeth.
6. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
(a) Hundreds of sharp-winged swallows.
(b) Hundreds of long-shanked herons.
(c) Hundreds of prairie dogs.
(d) Hundreds of snakes, laying their eggs.
7. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
(a) A fox.
(b) A bull.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A wolf.
8. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He cuts their tails.
(b) He brands them.
(c) He tattoos their ears.
(d) He has to catch them and mark them.
9. How does Travis feel about marking the hogs?
(a) He is looking forward to it.
(b) He thinks it's a tedious job.
(c) He is terrified and tries to find a way out of it.
(d) He is afraid but knows he has to do it.
10. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
(a) He feels stronger than he has in a long time.
(b) He is weak, sweating, and trembling.
(c) He is angry that Spot got hydrophobia.
(d) He is sad and upset.
11. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(b) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(c) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(d) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
12. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
(a) He leaves her because she isn't much help to him.
(b) He leaves her to help Mama while Travis is recuperating.
(c) He leaves her to take care of Old Yeller.
(d) He leaves her because she is annoying him.
13. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
(a) He always insults Old Yeller.
(b) He tries to get on Mama's good side while Papa is away.
(c) He always yells at Little Arliss.
(d) He is a bother to Mama.
14. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
(a) He milks the cows.
(b) He pesters Travis a dozen times a day.
(c) He lets Travis rest.
(d) He helps Mama with the chores.
15. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(b) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
(c) He whimpers weakly.
(d) He groans and hides.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
2. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
3. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
4. What does Travis yell for Mama to bring him?
5. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)