|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
(a) They are scratching their skin.
(b) They are laughing and having a good time.
(c) They are complaining about the corn shucks.
(d) They are grumpy.
2. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
(a) He crawls under Travis' bed.
(b) He whimpers.
(c) He snarls and his hackles stand up.
(d) He tries to crawl away.
3. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
(b) Bar' hogs.
(d) Range hogs.
4. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
(a) He always yells at Little Arliss.
(b) He is a bother to Mama.
(c) He always insults Old Yeller.
(d) He tries to get on Mama's good side while Papa is away.
5. Where does Travis' family keep their hogs and cattle?
(a) They keep them in a fenced pasture.
(b) They keep them in a lean to.
(c) They keep then in a barn.
(d) They are loose on the range.
6. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is a child's job.
(b) It is woman's work.
(c) It is boring work.
(d) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
7. What is the hog's favorite food?
(b) A baby fawn.
(c) Wild black persimmons.
8. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
(a) She ties a chunk of wood to his forefoot.
(b) She ties his back legs together.
(c) She ties him to a tree.
(d) She ties a large stone to his back leg.
9. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(b) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(c) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(d) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
10. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(b) His horse licks his hand.
(c) The puppy licks his hand.
(d) The puppy jumps on his bed.
11. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He brands them.
(b) He cuts their tails.
(c) He has to catch them and mark them.
(d) He tattoos their ears.
12. What does Papa tell Travis about what he had to do to Old Yeller?
(a) Papa says that Travis needs to toughen up.
(b) Papa says that Travis needs to stop being a cry baby.
(c) Papa says that life is cruel and unfair sometimes.
(d) Papa says that Travis needs to forget about Old Yeller.
13. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
(a) A loafer wolf is big and savage
(b) He is afraid the wolf will turn on him.
(c) He is afraid the wolf will go after Mama.
(d) He is afraid the wolf will go after the puppy.
14. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(c) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(d) He thinks she will work hard.
15. What is the condition of Travis' wound by the time they arrive home?
(a) It is stiff but the swelling is down.
(b) It is swollen but not stiff.
(c) It is stiff, swollen, and numb.
(d) It feels a lot better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
2. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
3. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
4. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
5. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)