|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(b) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(c) The pigs jump on top of him.
(d) A bar' hog bites his foot.
2. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
(a) Sharp-winged swallows had build nests on the face of the cliff that looked like honeycombs.
(b) Holes left by meteors.
(c) Cave men drawings.
(d) A shape in the cliff that looked like a man.
3. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
(a) She tells Travis that they will have to wait until the next day to go back to Old Yeller.
(b) She tells Travis that they will leave right away to go back to Old Yeller.
(c) She tells Travis they can't go to Old Yeller until Travis' wound is cleaned up.
(d) She tells Travis that Old Yeller is probably dead already.
4. What does Travis do while Mama, Lisbeth, and Old Yeller go to burn Spot?
(a) He cooks supper for everyone.
(b) He stays at home with Little Arliss.
(c) He teaches Arliss how to shoot.
(d) He reads a book to Arliss.
5. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
(a) Near the river.
(b) A dry, sandy wash.
(c) The bottom of a gorge.
(d) A mud pool.
6. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
(a) He keeps the ears so he can get an accurate count of how many pigs there are.
(b) He keeps the ears to show Papa when he comes home.
(c) He keeps the ears as trophies.
(d) He keeps the ears to make a necklace.
7. What does Mama use to give water to Old Yeller?
(a) Her purse.
(b) A cowhide sack.
(c) Travis' hat.
(d) Her hat.
8. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He shoots it between the eyes.
(b) He drags it to the river.
(c) He pushes it into a ravine.
(d) He cuts its throat.
9. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(b) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
(c) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(d) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
10. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
(b) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
(c) It teaches him to be more of a man.
(d) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
11. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He wants her to go home.
(b) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
(c) He is still mad at her.
(d) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
12. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
(a) Travis will grow to love the puppy.
(b) Old Yeller is the puppy's father.
(c) The puppy will be as good as Old Yeller.
(d) The puppy will make a great cow dog.
13. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home just as it gets dark.
(c) They get home at midnight.
(d) They get home before it gets dark.
14. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
(b) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(c) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(d) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
15. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
(a) Training the eye to wink.
(b) Training the mouth to whistle.
(c) Training a foot to kick a stone.
(d) Training an arm to throw a rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
2. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
3. Why isn't Travis excited about the puppy that Lisbeth gives to him?
4. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
5. How much longer will Papa be away?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)