|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He tattoos their ears.
(b) He brands them.
(c) He has to catch them and mark them.
(d) He cuts their tails.
2. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
(a) It runs into a tree.
(b) It falls to its knees.
(c) It falls in a hole.
(d) It goes after Old Yeller instead.
3. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
(a) Old Yeller is unconscious.
(b) Old Yeller's belly is split open and his insides are bulging out.
(c) Old Yeller's leg is broken.
(d) Old Yeller's ear is bitten off.
4. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) The puppy jumps on his bed.
(b) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(c) The puppy licks his hand.
(d) His horse licks his hand.
5. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
(a) He wants to tell her that she is useless.
(b) He's glad to be out of it.
(c) He wishes she would leave.
(d) It hurts his pride.
6. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
(a) He hears Old Yeller baying.
(b) He sees a cougar watching from a high cliff.
(c) He hears the hogs squealing.
(d) He sees and eagle circling.
7. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
(a) Hundreds of long-shanked herons.
(b) Hundreds of sharp-winged swallows.
(c) Hundreds of snakes, laying their eggs.
(d) Hundreds of prairie dogs.
8. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
(a) When they get old.
(b) When cornered.
(c) When being chased.
(d) When they are two years old.
9. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
(a) A shape in the cliff that looked like a man.
(b) Sharp-winged swallows had build nests on the face of the cliff that looked like honeycombs.
(c) Holes left by meteors.
(d) Cave men drawings.
10. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
(d) He is still mad at her.
11. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) The pigs jump on top of him.
(b) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(c) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(d) A bar' hog bites his foot.
12. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
(a) She tells Travis that they will have to wait until the next day to go back to Old Yeller.
(b) She tells Travis that they will leave right away to go back to Old Yeller.
(c) She tells Travis that Old Yeller is probably dead already.
(d) She tells Travis they can't go to Old Yeller until Travis' wound is cleaned up.
13. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
(a) She plays with the puppy all day.
(b) She reads most of the time.
(c) She works hard.
(d) She plays with Arliss all day.
14. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
(a) He keeps the ears as trophies.
(b) He keeps the ears to make a necklace.
(c) He keeps the ears so he can get an accurate count of how many pigs there are.
(d) He keeps the ears to show Papa when he comes home.
15. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He doesn't care about it.
(d) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
2. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
3. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
4. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
5. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)