|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
(a) The hogs back away from the snarls of Old Yeller.
(b) He chases the hogs away from Travis.
(c) He goes after them in a roaring rage.
(d) He drags Travis away from the hogs.
2. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
(a) The meat will be good for the hogs.
(b) It might spread the disease.
(c) The meat will be good for Old Yeller and the puppy.
(d) They can eat the meat themselves.
3. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
(a) They will kill their pursuer.
(b) They will back away slowly.
(c) They will shake their tusks but then run off.
(d) They will turn and walk away.
4. What does Travis see Mama, Little Arliss, and Lisbeth doing after they gather the corn?
(a) They are scratching their skin.
(b) They are grumpy.
(c) They are complaining about the corn shucks.
(d) They are laughing and having a good time.
5. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
(a) Turpentine and mud.
(b) Bear fat.
(c) Prickly-pear roots.
(d) Flour and vinegar.
6. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
(a) She plays with Arliss all day.
(b) She reads most of the time.
(c) She works hard.
(d) She plays with the puppy all day.
7. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
(a) He drags it to the river.
(b) He shoots it between the eyes.
(c) He pushes it into a ravine.
(d) He cuts its throat.
8. What does Papa bring home with him?
(a) An old friend and a horse for Travis.
(b) Money, laughter, and a horse for Travis.
(c) A new ranch hand, and a horse for Travis.
(d) A milking cow and a horse for Travis.
9. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) Her feelings are hurt.
(c) She doesn't care.
(d) She tells him that he is rude.
10. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home at midnight.
(b) They get home just as it gets dark.
(c) They get home the next morning.
(d) They get home before it gets dark.
11. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
(a) Crop and overbit.
(b) Crop and underslope.
(c) Underslope and overbit.
(d) Crop and underbit.
12. What game were Little Arliss and the puppy playing?
(a) They were playing a wrestling game.
(b) They were playing tug with a frayed rope.
(c) They were playing fetch with a stick.
(d) They were playing ball.
13. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
(b) He whimpers weakly.
(c) He groans and hides.
(d) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
14. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
(a) Old Yeller pushing them into a ring.
(b) Old Yeller nipping at their heals.
(c) The squealing and scent of blood.
(d) The sight of Travis hovering above them.
15. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
(b) It teaches him to be more of a man.
(c) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
(d) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
2. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
3. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
4. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
5. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)