|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
(a) He bays a warning to them to keep away.
(b) He groans and hides.
(c) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(d) He whimpers weakly.
2. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They burn it where it lays.
(b) They cover it with a pile of stones.
(c) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
(d) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
3. How does Travis hide Old Yeller while he runs home to get help?
(a) Travis covers him with branches.
(b) Travis pushes him under an overhanging rock and covers the opening with a mesquite stump.
(c) Travis pushes him into a cave.
(d) Travis digs a hole and places Old Yeller in it.
4. What prevents the animal sick with hydrophobia from getting Mama?
(a) It falls to its knees.
(b) It goes after Old Yeller instead.
(c) It falls in a hole.
(d) It runs into a tree.
5. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(b) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
(c) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(d) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
6. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
(a) Travis says that he will hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(b) Travis says they can put Old Yeller in a cart.
(c) Travis says that they can drag Old Yeller in a blanket.
(d) Travis says that Mama can hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
7. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
(a) She ties his back legs together.
(b) She ties a large stone to his back leg.
(c) She ties him to a tree.
(d) She ties a chunk of wood to his forefoot.
8. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They charge at them.
(b) They roar and pop their teeth.
(c) They turn and try to run away.
(d) They back up into a corner.
9. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
(a) He thrashes about and Travis has to hold him down.
(b) He just lays there and licks Travis' hand.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He growls and bares his teeth.
10. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(c) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
11. What does Travis do when he hears the sound of dogs fighting? T
(a) He holds Arliss in his lap.
(b) He gets his gun.
(c) He runs out to see if Mama is OK.
(d) He runs out to see what is happening.
12. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
(a) He crawls under Travis' bed.
(b) He tries to crawl away.
(c) He whimpers.
(d) He snarls and his hackles stand up.
13. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
(a) Range hogs.
(c) Bar' hogs.
14. Why does Travis keep a piece of ear from every marked pig hanging in the corn crib?
(a) He keeps the ears to show Papa when he comes home.
(b) He keeps the ears so he can get an accurate count of how many pigs there are.
(c) He keeps the ears as trophies.
(d) He keeps the ears to make a necklace.
15. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(c) He thinks she will work hard.
(d) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
2. What did Travis see on the face of a cliff at Salt Branch that impressed him?
3. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
4. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
5. What does Travis do to the hydrophobia stricken animal?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)