|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He has to catch them and mark them.
(b) He cuts their tails.
(c) He tattoos their ears.
(d) He brands them.
2. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
(a) She ties a chunk of wood to his forefoot.
(b) She ties him to a tree.
(c) She ties his back legs together.
(d) She ties a large stone to his back leg.
3. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
(a) She tells Travis that they will have to wait until the next day to go back to Old Yeller.
(b) She tells Travis they can't go to Old Yeller until Travis' wound is cleaned up.
(c) She tells Travis that they will leave right away to go back to Old Yeller.
(d) She tells Travis that Old Yeller is probably dead already.
4. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is woman's work.
(b) It is boring work.
(c) It is a child's job.
(d) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
5. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
(a) He hears the hogs squealing.
(b) He hears Old Yeller baying.
(c) He sees a cougar watching from a high cliff.
(d) He sees and eagle circling.
6. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
(a) They will shake their tusks but then run off.
(b) They will kill their pursuer.
(c) They will back away slowly.
(d) They will turn and walk away.
7. What does Little Arliss do to help get Old Yeller home?
(a) He rides on the cowhide with the dog and holds Old Yeller's head in his lap.
(b) He leads Jumper while Old Yeller is pulled behind the mule.
(c) He rides on Jumper and holds Old Yeller in his lap.
(d) He helps drag the cowhide that Old Yeller is resting on.
8. What happens to Travis when he falls into the killer hogs?
(a) A hog grabs him by his angle.
(b) A slashing tusk catches him in the calf of his right leg.
(c) A bar' hog bites his foot.
(d) The pigs jump on top of him.
9. What lures wolves to the cabin?
(a) The scent of blood from Old Yeller.
(b) The scent of dead meat.
(c) The sounds of humans.
(d) Mama cooking meat on the stove.
10. How does Travis shoot Old Yeller?
(a) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is eating his food.
(b) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is looking the other way.
(c) He calls Old Yeller to him and shoots the dog in the head.
(d) He shoots Old Yeller while the dog is sleeping.
11. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
(a) They stand in the snow until someone leads them home.
(b) They go into caves in the side of the hill.
(c) They pack leaves and dry grass into a thicket or cave and sleep in it.
(d) They head back to the barn.
12. What type of hog hangs out with the sows to protect them?
(a) Bar' hogs.
(d) Range hogs.
13. How does Mama clean Travis' wound?
(a) She washes it with hot water and then poured hot candle wax on it.
(b) She washes it with hot water and then poured turpentine on it.
(c) She washes it with hot water and then poured salt in it.
(d) She washes it with hot water and then poured iodine on it.
14. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
(a) He wants to tell her that she is useless.
(b) He wishes she would leave.
(c) He's glad to be out of it.
(d) It hurts his pride.
15. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
(a) They burn it where it lays.
(b) They bury it on the spot it was killed.
(c) They pour turpentine over it, hoping to kill the disease.
(d) They cover it with a pile of stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
2. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
3. How does Lisbeth feel about Travis' reaction to the puppy?
4. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
5. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)