|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
(a) A Bowie knife.
(b) A new saddle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A new rifle.
2. When does Travis become uneasy about why Mama and Lisbeth haven't returned home?
(a) When darkness came.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At suppertime.
(d) At daybreak.
3. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(b) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(c) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
(d) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
4. What will the hogs do if they catch up to someone?
(a) They will shake their tusks but then run off.
(b) They will kill their pursuer.
(c) They will turn and walk away.
(d) They will back away slowly.
5. What does Mama use as a poultice for Travis' wound?
(a) Bear fat.
(b) Prickly-pear roots.
(c) Turpentine and mud.
(d) Flour and vinegar.
6. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) It teaches him to be more of a man.
(b) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
(c) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
(d) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
7. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He doesn't care about it.
(d) He doesn't want it.
8. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
(a) Old Yeller is unconscious.
(b) Old Yeller's leg is broken.
(c) Old Yeller's belly is split open and his insides are bulging out.
(d) Old Yeller's ear is bitten off.
9. What is the trouble that Travis thinks is too big for any of them to handle?
(a) The Spot heifer comes home acting crazy and ignores her calf.
(b) There is a bear in the corn.
(c) The Spot heifer is injured.
(d) The chickens have gone wild.
10. Why isn't Travis excited about the puppy that Lisbeth gives to him?
(a) He wants a purebred dog instead.
(b) He wants a horse instead.
(c) He doesn't want a puppy because he has Old Yeller.
(d) He doesn't want the trouble of another dog.
11. What does Papa tell Travis about what he had to do to Old Yeller?
(a) Papa says that Travis needs to toughen up.
(b) Papa says that life is cruel and unfair sometimes.
(c) Papa says that Travis needs to stop being a cry baby.
(d) Papa says that Travis needs to forget about Old Yeller.
12. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
(a) He is afraid the wolf will go after the puppy.
(b) He is afraid the wolf will go after Mama.
(c) A loafer wolf is big and savage
(d) He is afraid the wolf will turn on him.
13. What is the hog's favorite food?
(a) A baby fawn.
(b) Wild black persimmons.
14. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
(a) Hundreds of sharp-winged swallows.
(b) Hundreds of prairie dogs.
(c) Hundreds of long-shanked herons.
(d) Hundreds of snakes, laying their eggs.
15. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
(a) Crop and underslope.
(b) Crop and overbit.
(c) Underslope and overbit.
(d) Crop and underbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
2. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
3. How much longer will Papa be away?
4. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
5. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)