|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the pigs react when Old Yeller and Travis find them?
(a) They back up into a corner.
(b) They turn and try to run away.
(c) They roar and pop their teeth.
(d) They charge at them.
2. Why can't Travis sleep on the night that Sanderson tells him about hydrophobia?
(a) Travis stays awake praying for Papa to come home.
(b) Travis watches over Arliss and Mama.
(c) Travis has nightmares about mad dogs and wolves.
(d) Travis stays awake watching for mad animals.
3. What condition is Travis in when he returns home after shooting Spot?
(a) He feels stronger than he has in a long time.
(b) He is angry that Spot got hydrophobia.
(c) He is weak, sweating, and trembling.
(d) He is sad and upset.
4. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He doesn't care about it.
(d) He hates it.
5. What does Mama say when Travis gets home and tells her about Old Yeller?
(a) She tells Travis that they will leave right away to go back to Old Yeller.
(b) She tells Travis that they will have to wait until the next day to go back to Old Yeller.
(c) She tells Travis they can't go to Old Yeller until Travis' wound is cleaned up.
(d) She tells Travis that Old Yeller is probably dead already.
6. What do the hogs do if a blizzard is on the way?
(a) They pack leaves and dry grass into a thicket or cave and sleep in it.
(b) They stand in the snow until someone leads them home.
(c) They go into caves in the side of the hill.
(d) They head back to the barn.
7. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(b) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
(c) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(d) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
8. How does Mama clean Travis' wound?
(a) She washes it with hot water and then poured salt in it.
(b) She washes it with hot water and then poured hot candle wax on it.
(c) She washes it with hot water and then poured iodine on it.
(d) She washes it with hot water and then poured turpentine on it.
9. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
(a) The squealing and scent of blood.
(b) Old Yeller pushing them into a ring.
(c) The sight of Travis hovering above them.
(d) Old Yeller nipping at their heals.
10. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(c) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
11. What does Mama tell Little Arliss to do as she is about to remove Old Yeller's bandage?
(a) She tells Arliss to go catch her a green-striped lizard.
(b) She tells Arliss to go play at the river.
(c) She tells Arliss to wait over by Jumper.
(d) She tells Arliss to catch her a big frog for dinner.
12. How does Old Yeller react to the animal that comes into the yard?
(a) He tries to crawl away.
(b) He whimpers.
(c) He snarls and his hackles stand up.
(d) He crawls under Travis' bed.
13. What animal comes into the yard staggering, grunting, and moaning?
(a) A bull.
(b) A fox.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A wolf.
14. How does Travis feel after he shoots his dog?
(a) He gets on with his life.
(b) He can't seem to get over it.
(c) He sleeps for days.
(d) He cries all the time.
15. What game were Little Arliss and the puppy playing?
(a) They were playing tug with a frayed rope.
(b) They were playing a wrestling game.
(c) They were playing fetch with a stick.
(d) They were playing ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mama and Travis do when Jumper is unable to move the dead animal?
2. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
3. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
4. What do Travis and Mama first think Spot ate?
5. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)