|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
(a) Five pigs, two sows, and one bar' hog.
(b) Four pigs, one sow, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(c) Five pigs, three sows, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(d) Three pigs, two sows, and four bar' hogs.
2. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will work hard.
(b) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(c) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
(d) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
3. Why is Travis glad that he missed a bunch of pigs back at bat cave country?
(a) He gets to hunt pigs rather than gather corn.
(b) Lisbeth will be impressed with his bravery.
(c) He gets to spend time away from Little Arliss.
(d) It teaches him to be more of a man.
4. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(b) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(c) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
5. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He doesn't care about it.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(d) He hates it.
6. What does Little Arliss do while Travis is in bed?
(a) He pesters Travis a dozen times a day.
(b) He helps Mama with the chores.
(c) He lets Travis rest.
(d) He milks the cows.
7. How does Old Yeller get into the fight with the loafer wolf?
(a) The wolf goes after Mama when she stops for water.
(b) Old Yeller tracks the wolf and catches up with him.
(c) The wolf attacks Jumper and Old Yeller jumps him.
(d) The wolf attacks Old Yeller while he is getting a drink.
8. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He has to catch them and mark them.
(b) He cuts their tails.
(c) He brands them.
(d) He tattoos their ears.
9. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He is still mad at her.
(b) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
(c) He wants her to go home.
(d) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
10. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
(a) They need the corn to eat until winter comes.
(b) The corn is for the sheep.
(c) They won't have any corn meal for bread in the winter.
(d) They need the corn to feed the cows.
11. How does Mama prevent Jumper from jumping into the corn field?
(a) She ties a large stone to his back leg.
(b) She ties his back legs together.
(c) She ties a chunk of wood to his forefoot.
(d) She ties him to a tree.
12. What is the trouble that Travis thinks is too big for any of them to handle?
(a) There is a bear in the corn.
(b) The Spot heifer is injured.
(c) The chickens have gone wild.
(d) The Spot heifer comes home acting crazy and ignores her calf.
13. What lures wolves to the cabin?
(a) The sounds of humans.
(b) The scent of dead meat.
(c) The scent of blood from Old Yeller.
(d) Mama cooking meat on the stove.
14. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
(a) He passes out.
(b) He growls and bares his teeth.
(c) He just lays there and licks Travis' hand.
(d) He thrashes about and Travis has to hold him down.
15. How does Mama sew up Old Yeller's wound?
(a) She uses a thread pulled from her dress.
(b) She uses a hair from Jumper's tail.
(c) She brought her thread with her.
(d) She uses a piece of rawhide.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
2. What does Old Yeller do when the wolves come around the cabin?
3. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
4. How does Travis know that he is near the hogs?
5. What lives in one of Travis' favorite places, down in a deep canyon which is bent in the shape of a horseshoe?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)