|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
(a) The hogs back away from the snarls of Old Yeller.
(b) He drags Travis away from the hogs.
(c) He goes after them in a roaring rage.
(d) He chases the hogs away from Travis.
2. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
(a) It hurts his pride.
(b) He wishes she would leave.
(c) He wants to tell her that she is useless.
(d) He's glad to be out of it.
3. How does Travis feel when Lisbeth and Little Arliss walk past his door?
(a) He wants to go out and yell at her some more.
(b) He feels sorry and mean for hurting her feelings.
(c) He wants her to go home.
(d) He is still mad at her.
4. When do the hogs become the most vicious?
(a) When being chased.
(b) When they are two years old.
(c) When they get old.
(d) When cornered.
5. What is Travis excited about Papa bringing home for him?
(a) A new saddle.
(b) A Bowie knife.
(c) A horse.
(d) A new rifle.
6. What does Travis have to do to the hogs to be able to tell them apart from the neighbor's hogs?
(a) He cuts their tails.
(b) He brands them.
(c) He has to catch them and mark them.
(d) He tattoos their ears.
7. How many hogs are near the bat cave?
(a) Three pigs, two sows, and four bar' hogs.
(b) Four pigs, one sow, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(c) Five pigs, three sows, and a couple of bar' hogs.
(d) Five pigs, two sows, and one bar' hog.
8. Why does Travis hate gathering corn?
(a) It is hot work and the corn shucks sting and makes the skin itch.
(b) It is woman's work.
(c) It is a child's job.
(d) It is boring work.
9. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
(a) It is a clean gash but not bleeding much.
(b) It is long but not too deep.
(c) He is cut to the bone.
(d) It is only a scratch.
10. What are the marks that Travis makes on the hogs?
(a) Crop and underbit.
(b) Underslope and overbit.
(c) Crop and underslope.
(d) Crop and overbit.
11. What does Papa compare training the mind to handle fear with?
(a) Training the eye to wink.
(b) Training the mouth to whistle.
(c) Training a foot to kick a stone.
(d) Training an arm to throw a rock.
12. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home the next morning.
(b) They get home at midnight.
(c) They get home just as it gets dark.
(d) They get home before it gets dark.
13. What does Travis see that makes him think Old Yeller is dead?
(a) Buzzards circling and diving above the spot where Old Yeller is hidden
(b) He sees a large puddle of blood around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(c) Flies are hovering over the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
(d) He sees a sees a hog sniffing around the spot where Old Yeller is hidden.
14. Why is Travis terrified when he sees Old Yeller fighting a mad loafer wolf?
(a) He is afraid the wolf will go after the puppy.
(b) A loafer wolf is big and savage
(c) He is afraid the wolf will go after Mama.
(d) He is afraid the wolf will turn on him.
15. What game were Little Arliss and the puppy playing?
(a) They were playing a wrestling game.
(b) They were playing ball.
(c) They were playing tug with a frayed rope.
(d) They were playing fetch with a stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis decide is a good place to shoot Spot?
2. What fills Travis with terror when he goes back to find Old Yeller?
3. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
4. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
5. Why is Travis angry that Bud Searcy comes to visit?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)