|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How bad is the wound inflicted on Travis by the hogs?
(a) It is only a scratch.
(b) It is a clean gash but not bleeding much.
(c) He is cut to the bone.
(d) It is long but not too deep.
2. What does Lisbeth do while she stays with Travis and his family?
(a) She plays with Arliss all day.
(b) She plays with the puppy all day.
(c) She reads most of the time.
(d) She works hard.
3. When does Travis shoot the loafer wolf?
(a) He shoots the wolf when it is pinned by Old Yeller.
(b) He shoots the wolf when it is on top of Old Yeller.
(c) He shoots the wolf when it backs away from Old Yeller.
(d) He shoots the wolf when it leaps at him.
4. How does Old Yeller save Travis from the hogs?
(a) The hogs back away from the snarls of Old Yeller.
(b) He drags Travis away from the hogs.
(c) He goes after them in a roaring rage.
(d) He chases the hogs away from Travis.
5. What does Travis think about Lisbeth staying with them?
(a) He thinks she will be no help and a bother.
(b) He thinks she will work hard.
(c) He thinks she will pester him all day.
(d) He thinks she will sit and cry all day.
6. Why isn't Travis excited about the puppy that Lisbeth gives to him?
(a) He doesn't want a puppy because he has Old Yeller.
(b) He wants a horse instead.
(c) He doesn't want the trouble of another dog.
(d) He wants a purebred dog instead.
7. Why doesn't Mama want the buzzards to eat the dead animal?
(a) The meat will be good for Old Yeller and the puppy.
(b) The meat will be good for the hogs.
(c) They can eat the meat themselves.
(d) It might spread the disease.
8. What is the hog's favorite food?
(b) Wild black persimmons.
(c) A baby fawn.
9. When do Mama, Travis, and Little Arliss finally make it home with Old Yeller?
(a) They get home just as it gets dark.
(b) They get home the next morning.
(c) They get home at midnight.
(d) They get home before it gets dark.
10. How does Travis propose getting Old Yeller home?
(a) Travis says that they can drag Old Yeller in a blanket.
(b) Travis says they can put Old Yeller in a cart.
(c) Travis says that Mama can hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
(d) Travis says that he will hold Old Yeller while riding on Jumper.
11. What happens that makes Travis feel better for the first time since Old Yeller's death?
(a) The puppy licks his hand.
(b) His horse licks his hand.
(c) The puppy steals cornbread from the kitchen.
(d) The puppy jumps on his bed.
12. What does Mama say about Lisbeth staying with her?
(a) She thinks Lisbeth is too young to be away from home.
(b) She thinks Lisbeth won't be any help.
(c) She says Lisbeth can sleep in the dog run.
(d) She says that Lisbeth can milk the cows.
13. How does Travis feel about his new horse?
(a) He so excited that he forgets about Old Yeller.
(b) He doesn't want it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He doesn't care about it.
14. What makes the hogs under Travis' limb go wild with anger.
(a) Old Yeller nipping at their heals.
(b) The sight of Travis hovering above them.
(c) The squealing and scent of blood.
(d) Old Yeller pushing them into a ring.
15. Why does Bud Searcy leave Lisbeth behind with Mama?
(a) He leaves her because she is annoying him.
(b) He leaves her to help Mama while Travis is recuperating.
(c) He leaves her because she isn't much help to him.
(d) He leaves her to take care of Old Yeller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Travis' reaction to Lisbeth helping Mama with the corn?
2. What does Lisbeth tell Travis about the puppy she gave him?
3. What does the puppy look like that Lisbeth shows to Travis?
4. Why is Mama so upset that Jumper is eating the corn?
5. What does Old Yeller do while Mama stitches his wound?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)