|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They eat the berries growing there.
(b) They lick the salt.
(c) They drink from the pond that is there.
(d) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
2. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(b) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
(c) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
(d) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
3. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
(a) He is to recite his Latin verbs while he works.
(b) He is to think about Little Arliss and the dog.
(c) He is to say his prayers while he works.
(d) He is to recite his numbers while he works.
4. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(b) The sound of a dog dying.
(c) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(d) The whimpering of a bear cub.
5. What type of dogs do most of the settlers own?
(a) Big, fierce cur dogs.
(b) Small, quick terriers.
(c) Pure bred Blood Hounds.
(d) Pure bred Coon Hounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
2. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
3. Who named Birdsong Creek?
4. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
5. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)