|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Father Cayetano?
2. In his second meeting with Sierva, what happens when Cayetano lets the girl loose?
3. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
4. What kind of jewelry is Sierva wearing when she arrives at the convent?
5. What book does Dr. Abrenuncio show Cayetano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis, discuss the use of Sierva as a "blank slate" for all the other characters, including the following:
- Attributes assigned to her by other people.
- Cayetano's obsession and love for her.
- Her neglectful childhood.
- Her affiliation with the slaves and their culture.
- The author's intent in leaving Sierva's personality a mystery.
Essay Topic 2
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss Father Cayetano's fear of women. Make sure the essay pinpoints the effects of this fear on his development as a character and the author's intent. Points to consider include his entrance into the priesthood, his dealings with the nuns, and, especially, his relationship with Sierva.
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)