|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sierva becomes friendlier to Cayetano, how does the priest react?
2. Although he is assigned as Sierva's exorcist, what is Cayetano's true desire for his career?
3. Who finds Cayetano in a sorry state at the end of chapter four?
4. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
5. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
2. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
3. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
4. What are Dr. Abrenuncio's views on the Holy Office and exorcisms?
5. What happens to Cayetano during the eclipse?
6. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
7. How does the Abbess treat Sierva in Cayetano's presence?
8. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
9. How does Martina help Sierva?
10. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 2
"[The Bishop] spoke of Yucatan, where they had constructed sumptuous cathedrals to hide the pagan pyramids, not realizing that the natives came to Mass because their sanctuaries still lived beneath the silver altars. He spoke of the chaotic mixing of blood that had gone on since the conquest: Spanish blood with Indian blood, and both of these with blacks of every sort, even Mandingo Muslims, and he asked himself whether such miscegenation had a place in the Kingdom of God."
Using this quote from the book as a springboard, discuss the story as an overall allegory for racism. Keep in mind the treatment of the slaves, Sierva's attachment to the African culture and her own racial background, and the use of the character of Sagunta and the motives of the Bishop in performing an exorcism on Sierva.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The purpose in naming a character Judas Iscariote.
- The lepers as a symbol of the decay of the church.
- Father Aquino's mysterious death.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)