|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization does Bernarda make in chapter four?
2. Who finds Cayetano in a sorry state at the end of chapter four?
3. What forbidden activity is used to celebrate the arrival of the Viceroy?
4. What does Cayetano tell Sierva in chapter four to comfort her?
5. In chapter four, what does Bernarda choose to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Abbess treat Sierva in Cayetano's presence?
2. How does Martina help Sierva?
3. How does Cayetano gain Sierva's trust?
4. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
5. How is Sierva comforted by the slave women in the convent?
6. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
7. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
8. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
9. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
10. How does Cayetano begin to feel about Sierva at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The implications and symbolism of the Bishop's asthma.
- Bernarda's rape of the Marquis in order to conceive Sierva.
- Ygnacio's first wife being struck by lightning.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis, discuss the use of Sierva as a "blank slate" for all the other characters, including the following:
- Attributes assigned to her by other people.
- Cayetano's obsession and love for her.
- Her neglectful childhood.
- Her affiliation with the slaves and their culture.
- The author's intent in leaving Sierva's personality a mystery.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)