|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
2. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
3. When she first meets the Abbess, how does Sierva behave?
4. What does the Viceroy believe about Sierva?
5. What book does Dr. Abrenuncio show Cayetano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
2. Describe the convent.
3. What memory is brought back for Cayetano while writing love poems in Chapter 4?
4. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
5. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
6. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
7. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
8. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
9. What are Dr. Abrenuncio's views on the Holy Office and exorcisms?
10. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Bernarda as a symbol of New Grenada's decay.
- The use of dogs as objects of fear as opposed to faithful companions.
- Sierva's Santeria jewelry and their representation of a non-biased person.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the physical intimacy of Cayetano's relationship to Sierva, including the following:
- His fascination with her before their first meeting.
- Sierva's relationship to the Virgin Mary.
- Cayetano's self-flagellation.
- Cayetano's insistence that the girl remain a virgin until their marriage.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)