|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter three, what is Cayetano reading in regards to Sierva?
2. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
3. What is the new Viceroy's name?
4. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
5. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the convent.
2. What are Dr. Abrenuncio's views on the Holy Office and exorcisms?
3. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
4. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
5. What leads to Cayetano promising Sierva to free her in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
7. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
8. What memory is brought back for Cayetano while writing love poems in Chapter 4?
9. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
10. How does Martina help Sierva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Compare and contrast Martina and Cayetano's fall from grace.
- The role of the Viceroy and Vicereine regarding Sierva's fate.
- Dr. Abrenuncio and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Abrenuncio and Father Cayetano are the two most highly educated men in New Grenada. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss these two characters, including the following:
- Their differing backgrounds of science and faith.
- Their perceptions of each other, before and after they meet.
- Their concern over Sierva's fate.
- The possibilities of faith and science coming together, as exemplified by these two characters.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)