|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Abbess feel about the South American aristocrats?
2. What does the Viceroy believe about Sierva?
3. At the end of chapter four, what does Sierva refuse to do?
4. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio communicate?
5. What document does the Bishop use as evidence of Sierva's demonic possession?
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the author's use of magic realism in this novel. In what ways does the author make this story true to life? In what ways is this story fantastical? (Please note that the term "fantastical" encompasses more than just the miracle of Sierva's hair growing after death and is meant as something that likely could not happen in real life).
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the ironic twists within the characters of this novel, including the following:
- The slaves' acceptance and caring of Sierva.
- Dulce Olivia's feelings about Sierva's situation in the convent. Part
- The nuns' attempted thefts of Sierva's necklaces.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)