|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill does Martina teach Sierva?
2. When Cayetano is sent to see Sierva in chapter four, how is she dressed?
3. What is the rank of the nuns who abandon Sierva when she first arrives at the convent?
4. How does the Abbess feel about the Bishop?
5. How old is Father Cayetano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
2. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
3. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
4. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
5. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
6. What are Dr. Abrenuncio's views on the Holy Office and exorcisms?
7. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
8. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
9. What memory is brought back for Cayetano while writing love poems in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The symbolism of Sierva's hair.
- Father Aquino as a martyr.
- Father Cayetano's work with the lepers and his personal wish to contract leprosy.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the ironic twists within the characters of this novel, including the following:
- The slaves' acceptance and caring of Sierva.
- Dulce Olivia's feelings about Sierva's situation in the convent. Part
- The nuns' attempted thefts of Sierva's necklaces.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, analyze the shared dream of Father Cayetano and Sierva. In particular, discuss what the grapes, the snow, Spain, and the lambs represent. Relate this to the overall frame of the story and the character arcs (and the fates of these characters). Analyze why Cayetano and Sierva had the same dream.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)