Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the very end of chapter three, what sort of complaint does Cayetano lodge on Sierva's behalf?
2. In his second meeting with Sierva, what happens when Cayetano lets the girl loose?
3. What does the Vicereine do in retaliation of the Governor's entertainment at the Viceroy's dinner?
4. What natural event opens chapter four?
5. At the end of chapter four, what does Sierva refuse to do?
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The implications and symbolism of the Bishop's asthma.
- Bernarda's rape of the Marquis in order to conceive Sierva.
- Ygnacio's first wife being struck by lightning.
Essay Topic 2
Sierva asks her father if love can truly conquer all. His response is that, while it can, it would be best if she did not believe it. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the statement within the overall context of this novel. How does this statement ring true for Sierva? How does it fail? Does it appear that she believes love can conquer all? In the end, does it? Provide thorough explanations for each statement.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay examining Martina, including the following:
- Her personality and characteristics.
- The symbolism of a murderer displaying a Christian attitude. Part
- Why a sympathetic character such as Martina would have murdered nuns.
- The author's intent with the character of Martina.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)