|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Viceroy believe about Sierva?
2. At the end of chapter four, what does Sierva refuse to do?
3. What kind of jewelry is Sierva wearing when she arrives at the convent?
4. At the end of the chapter three, what is Cayetano reading in regards to Sierva?
5. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
2. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
3. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
4. How does Cayetano gain Sierva's trust?
5. How does Martina help Sierva?
6. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
7. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
8. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
9. How does Cayetano begin to feel about Sierva at the end of Chapter 3?
10. How does the Abbess treat Sierva in Cayetano's presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"[The Bishop] spoke of Yucatan, where they had constructed sumptuous cathedrals to hide the pagan pyramids, not realizing that the natives came to Mass because their sanctuaries still lived beneath the silver altars. He spoke of the chaotic mixing of blood that had gone on since the conquest: Spanish blood with Indian blood, and both of these with blacks of every sort, even Mandingo Muslims, and he asked himself whether such miscegenation had a place in the Kingdom of God."
Using this quote from the book as a springboard, discuss the story as an overall allegory for racism. Keep in mind the treatment of the slaves, Sierva's attachment to the African culture and her own racial background, and the use of the character of Sagunta and the motives of the Bishop in performing an exorcism on Sierva.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, analyze the shared dream of Father Cayetano and Sierva. In particular, discuss what the grapes, the snow, Spain, and the lambs represent. Relate this to the overall frame of the story and the character arcs (and the fates of these characters). Analyze why Cayetano and Sierva had the same dream.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The implications and symbolism of the Bishop's asthma.
- Bernarda's rape of the Marquis in order to conceive Sierva.
- Ygnacio's first wife being struck by lightning.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)