|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
2. How was food brought to the convent during the fighting between the Bishop and the Santa Clara convent in the earlier centuries?
3. In what state is Cayetano over Sierva during the Viceroy's visit?
4. What skill does Martina teach Sierva?
5. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
2. How does Sierva react when she is first introduced to the Abbess?
3. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
4. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
5. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
6. How is Sierva comforted by the slave women in the convent?
7. What are Dr. Abrenuncio's views on the Holy Office and exorcisms?
8. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
9. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
10. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"[The Bishop] spoke of Yucatan, where they had constructed sumptuous cathedrals to hide the pagan pyramids, not realizing that the natives came to Mass because their sanctuaries still lived beneath the silver altars. He spoke of the chaotic mixing of blood that had gone on since the conquest: Spanish blood with Indian blood, and both of these with blacks of every sort, even Mandingo Muslims, and he asked himself whether such miscegenation had a place in the Kingdom of God."
Using this quote from the book as a springboard, discuss the story as an overall allegory for racism. Keep in mind the treatment of the slaves, Sierva's attachment to the African culture and her own racial background, and the use of the character of Sagunta and the motives of the Bishop in performing an exorcism on Sierva.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the physical intimacy of Cayetano's relationship to Sierva, including the following:
- His fascination with her before their first meeting.
- Sierva's relationship to the Virgin Mary.
- Cayetano's self-flagellation.
- Cayetano's insistence that the girl remain a virgin until their marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Bernarda as a symbol of New Grenada's decay.
- The use of dogs as objects of fear as opposed to faithful companions.
- Sierva's Santeria jewelry and their representation of a non-biased person.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)