|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization does Bernarda make in chapter four?
2. When Sierva becomes friendlier to Cayetano, how does the priest react?
3. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
4. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
5. What document does the Bishop use as evidence of Sierva's demonic possession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory is brought back for Cayetano while writing love poems in Chapter 4?
2. How does Martina help Sierva?
3. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
4. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
5. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
6. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
7. Describe the convent.
8. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
9. How is Sierva comforted by the slave women in the convent?
10. What leads to Cayetano promising Sierva to free her in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The purpose in naming a character Judas Iscariote.
- The lepers as a symbol of the decay of the church.
- Father Aquino's mysterious death.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the physical intimacy of Cayetano's relationship to Sierva, including the following:
- His fascination with her before their first meeting.
- Sierva's relationship to the Virgin Mary.
- Cayetano's self-flagellation.
- Cayetano's insistence that the girl remain a virgin until their marriage.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)