|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the very end of chapter three, what sort of complaint does Cayetano lodge on Sierva's behalf?
2. What information does Dr. Abrenuncio impart to Cayetano?
3. When the nuns steal Sierva's necklaces, what happens that forces the women to return the jewelry?
4. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
5. In his second meeting with Sierva, what happens when Cayetano lets the girl loose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss Father Cayetano's fear of women. Make sure the essay pinpoints the effects of this fear on his development as a character and the author's intent. Points to consider include his entrance into the priesthood, his dealings with the nuns, and, especially, his relationship with Sierva.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the physical intimacy of Cayetano's relationship to Sierva, including the following:
- His fascination with her before their first meeting.
- Sierva's relationship to the Virgin Mary.
- Cayetano's self-flagellation.
- Cayetano's insistence that the girl remain a virgin until their marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Sierva asks her father if love can truly conquer all. His response is that, while it can, it would be best if she did not believe it. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the statement within the overall context of this novel. How does this statement ring true for Sierva? How does it fail? Does it appear that she believes love can conquer all? In the end, does it? Provide thorough explanations for each statement.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)