|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
2. After the death of his wife, why does Ygnacio keep his dogs near?
3. In what modern country is the next scene set?
4. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
5. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
2. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
3. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
4. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
5. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
6. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
7. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
8. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
9. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
10. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Abrenuncio and Father Cayetano are the two most highly educated men in New Grenada. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss these two characters, including the following:
- Their differing backgrounds of science and faith.
- Their perceptions of each other, before and after they meet.
- Their concern over Sierva's fate.
- The possibilities of faith and science coming together, as exemplified by these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay examining Martina, including the following:
- Her personality and characteristics.
- The symbolism of a murderer displaying a Christian attitude. Part
- Why a sympathetic character such as Martina would have murdered nuns.
- The author's intent with the character of Martina.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The implications and symbolism of the Bishop's asthma.
- Bernarda's rape of the Marquis in order to conceive Sierva.
- Ygnacio's first wife being struck by lightning.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)