|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
2. What date does Dr. Abrenuncio give for Bernarda's death?
3. How does Bernarda know Ygnacio before they got married?
4. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
5. What animal stays behind while the others run off on the estate of Ygnacio's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
2. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
3. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
4. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
5. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
6. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
7. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
8. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
9. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
10. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Compare and contrast Martina and Cayetano's fall from grace.
- The role of the Viceroy and Vicereine regarding Sierva's fate.
- Dr. Abrenuncio and his horse.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the paradox of Sierva being subjected to a torturous exorcism so that other characters may rid themselves of their own demons. Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- What is her family's role in her behavior and her subsequent imprisonment?
- The Bishop's perceived failure to keep everyone faithful to the church.
- The Abbess's extreme distaste for the citizens of New Grenada.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is something of a Biblical allegory. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss how this novel mirrors the Bible, including (but not limited to) a Christ- like figure, sacrifice for the benefit of others, and persecution. Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)