|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is the family's mansion?
2. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
3. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
4. How old is Sierva?
5. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
2. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
3. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
4. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
5. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
6. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
7. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
8. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
9. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
10. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Compare and contrast Martina and Cayetano's fall from grace.
- The role of the Viceroy and Vicereine regarding Sierva's fate.
- Dr. Abrenuncio and his horse.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, analyze the shared dream of Father Cayetano and Sierva. In particular, discuss what the grapes, the snow, Spain, and the lambs represent. Relate this to the overall frame of the story and the character arcs (and the fates of these characters). Analyze why Cayetano and Sierva had the same dream.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)