|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what modern country is the next scene set?
2. What does the Marquis do for Sierva, despite what Dr. Abrenuncio tells him?
3. Where does Sierva spend all her time?
4. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
5. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
2. Describe the character of the Bishop.
3. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
4. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
5. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
6. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
7. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
8. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
9. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
10. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Bernarda as a symbol of New Grenada's decay.
- The use of dogs as objects of fear as opposed to faithful companions.
- Sierva's Santeria jewelry and their representation of a non-biased person.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the ironic twists within the characters of this novel, including the following:
- The slaves' acceptance and caring of Sierva.
- Dulce Olivia's feelings about Sierva's situation in the convent. Part
- The nuns' attempted thefts of Sierva's necklaces.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)