|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
2. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
3. What does Don Ygnacio do for the man he meets on his way home from visiting the rabies patient?
4. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
5. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
2. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
3. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
4. What does Bernarda confess to the Marquis at the end of the novel?
5. Describe the character of the Bishop.
6. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
7. What happens to Cayetano during the eclipse?
8. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
9. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
10. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about "The Four Books of Amadis of Gaul?" Why is this book banned by the church and confiscated from Cayetano in his youth? How does this relate to Dr. Abrenuncio and, especially, Father Cayetano? Do the classic literary connections "The Four Books of Amadis of Gaul" mirror any changes that happen to the doctor and the priest? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, analyze the shared dream of Father Cayetano and Sierva. In particular, discuss what the grapes, the snow, Spain, and the lambs represent. Relate this to the overall frame of the story and the character arcs (and the fates of these characters). Analyze why Cayetano and Sierva had the same dream.
This section contains 2,237 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)