|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
2. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
3. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
4. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
5. How does Bernarda know Ygnacio before they got married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
2. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
3. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
4. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
5. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
6. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
7. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
8. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
9. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
10. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the author's use of magic realism in this novel. In what ways does the author make this story true to life? In what ways is this story fantastical? (Please note that the term "fantastical" encompasses more than just the miracle of Sierva's hair growing after death and is meant as something that likely could not happen in real life).
Essay Topic 2
Sierva asks her father if love can truly conquer all. His response is that, while it can, it would be best if she did not believe it. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the statement within the overall context of this novel. How does this statement ring true for Sierva? How does it fail? Does it appear that she believes love can conquer all? In the end, does it? Provide thorough explanations for each statement.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)