|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
2. What is Don Ygnacio's title?
3. What does Don Ygnacio do for the man he meets on his way home from visiting the rabies patient?
4. How much is the beautiful slave bought for?
5. After the death of his wife, why does Ygnacio keep his dogs near?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
2. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
3. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
4. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
5. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
6. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
7. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
8. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
10. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The symbolism of Sierva's hair.
- Father Aquino as a martyr.
- Father Cayetano's work with the lepers and his personal wish to contract leprosy.
Essay Topic 2
"[The Bishop] spoke of Yucatan, where they had constructed sumptuous cathedrals to hide the pagan pyramids, not realizing that the natives came to Mass because their sanctuaries still lived beneath the silver altars. He spoke of the chaotic mixing of blood that had gone on since the conquest: Spanish blood with Indian blood, and both of these with blacks of every sort, even Mandingo Muslims, and he asked himself whether such miscegenation had a place in the Kingdom of God."
Using this quote from the book as a springboard, discuss the story as an overall allegory for racism. Keep in mind the treatment of the slaves, Sierva's attachment to the African culture and her own racial background, and the use of the character of Sagunta and the motives of the Bishop in performing an exorcism on Sierva.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the paradox of Sierva being subjected to a torturous exorcism so that other characters may rid themselves of their own demons. Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- What is her family's role in her behavior and her subsequent imprisonment?
- The Bishop's perceived failure to keep everyone faithful to the church.
- The Abbess's extreme distaste for the citizens of New Grenada.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)