|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what modern country is the next scene set?
2. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
3. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
4. What rabid animals attack the town?
5. What is the station of the person raising Sierva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
2. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
3. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
4. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
5. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
6. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
7. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
8. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
9. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
10. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The purpose in naming a character Judas Iscariote.
- The lepers as a symbol of the decay of the church.
- Father Aquino's mysterious death.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay examining Martina, including the following:
- Her personality and characteristics.
- The symbolism of a murderer displaying a Christian attitude. Part
- Why a sympathetic character such as Martina would have murdered nuns.
- The author's intent with the character of Martina.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the physical intimacy of Cayetano's relationship to Sierva, including the following:
- His fascination with her before their first meeting.
- Sierva's relationship to the Virgin Mary.
- Cayetano's self-flagellation.
- Cayetano's insistence that the girl remain a virgin until their marriage.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)