|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
2. What drug does Judas introduce to Bernarda?
3. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
4. What does Don Ygnacio admit to the doctor?
5. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
2. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
3. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
4. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
5. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
6. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
7. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
8. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
9. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
10. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernarda is Sierva's mother, who hates the child and prefers to spend her days in drug-induced decadence. Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, write an essay examining their relationship and character traits, including the following:
- Compare and contrast the personalities of these women.
- Discuss how characters feel about Bernarda and Sierva regarding their morals and apparent "wildness."
- Discuss, analyze, and compare their relationships to Judas Iscariote and Father Cayetano.
- Analyze how Bernarda and Sierva feel about each other and why.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Abrenuncio and Father Cayetano are the two most highly educated men in New Grenada. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss these two characters, including the following:
- Their differing backgrounds of science and faith.
- Their perceptions of each other, before and after they meet.
- Their concern over Sierva's fate.
- The possibilities of faith and science coming together, as exemplified by these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The implications and symbolism of the Bishop's asthma.
- Bernarda's rape of the Marquis in order to conceive Sierva.
- Ygnacio's first wife being struck by lightning.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)