|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
2. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
3. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
4. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
5. What instrument does Ygnacio play for Sierva?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
2. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
3. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
4. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
5. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
6. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
7. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
8. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
9. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
10. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay examining Martina, including the following:
- Her personality and characteristics.
- The symbolism of a murderer displaying a Christian attitude. Part
- Why a sympathetic character such as Martina would have murdered nuns.
- The author's intent with the character of Martina.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis, discuss the use of Sierva as a "blank slate" for all the other characters, including the following:
- Attributes assigned to her by other people.
- Cayetano's obsession and love for her.
- Her neglectful childhood.
- Her affiliation with the slaves and their culture.
- The author's intent in leaving Sierva's personality a mystery.
Essay Topic 3
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, analyze the shared dream of Father Cayetano and Sierva. In particular, discuss what the grapes, the snow, Spain, and the lambs represent. Relate this to the overall frame of the story and the character arcs (and the fates of these characters). Analyze why Cayetano and Sierva had the same dream.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)