|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sierva?
2. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
3. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
4. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
5. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of the Bishop.
2. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
3. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
4. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
5. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
6. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
7. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
8. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
9. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
10. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss Father Cayetano's fear of women. Make sure the essay pinpoints the effects of this fear on his development as a character and the author's intent. Points to consider include his entrance into the priesthood, his dealings with the nuns, and, especially, his relationship with Sierva.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- The purpose in naming a character Judas Iscariote.
- The lepers as a symbol of the decay of the church.
- Father Aquino's mysterious death.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is something of a Biblical allegory. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss how this novel mirrors the Bible, including (but not limited to) a Christ- like figure, sacrifice for the benefit of others, and persecution. Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)