|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the slaves sent to do towards the end of chapter one?
2. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
3. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
4. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
5. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
2. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
3. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
4. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
5. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
6. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
7. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
8. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
9. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
10. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Bernarda as a symbol of New Grenada's decay.
- The use of dogs as objects of fear as opposed to faithful companions.
- Sierva's Santeria jewelry and their representation of a non-biased person.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text and including a strong thesis statement, discuss the use of religion in this novel, including the following:
- Dr. Abrenuncio's relationship with the church and the Marquis
- Dominga's religions and the effects on Sierva Part
- The Abbess and the Bishop's relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is something of a Biblical allegory. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss how this novel mirrors the Bible, including (but not limited to) a Christ- like figure, sacrifice for the benefit of others, and persecution. Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)