|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
2. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
3. Why are the slaves waiting in the harbor?
4. What is the Bishop afflicted with?
5. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
2. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
3. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
4. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
6. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
7. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
8. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
9. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
10. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"[The Bishop] spoke of Yucatan, where they had constructed sumptuous cathedrals to hide the pagan pyramids, not realizing that the natives came to Mass because their sanctuaries still lived beneath the silver altars. He spoke of the chaotic mixing of blood that had gone on since the conquest: Spanish blood with Indian blood, and both of these with blacks of every sort, even Mandingo Muslims, and he asked himself whether such miscegenation had a place in the Kingdom of God."
Using this quote from the book as a springboard, discuss the story as an overall allegory for racism. Keep in mind the treatment of the slaves, Sierva's attachment to the African culture and her own racial background, and the use of the character of Sagunta and the motives of the Bishop in performing an exorcism on Sierva.
Essay Topic 2
Citing specific examples from the text, write an essay discussing one of the following:
- Compare and contrast Martina and Cayetano's fall from grace.
- The role of the Viceroy and Vicereine regarding Sierva's fate.
- Dr. Abrenuncio and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
Sierva asks her father if love can truly conquer all. His response is that, while it can, it would be best if she did not believe it. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss the statement within the overall context of this novel. How does this statement ring true for Sierva? How does it fail? Does it appear that she believes love can conquer all? In the end, does it? Provide thorough explanations for each statement.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)