|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
(a) He listens to the slaves' stories.
(b) He reads about them in the Bishop's library.
(c) He reads about African culture.
(d) He listens to gossip on the streets.
2. Who recognizes Sierva's jewelry upon the girl's arrival to the convent?
(a) The slave women.
(b) The seamstress.
(c) The novices from Africa.
(d) The cook.
3. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
(a) The convent.
(b) The Bishop's palace.
(c) The Marquis's mansion.
(d) The fanciest inn.
4. In Dr. Abrenuncio's view, what is an exorcism?
(a) Torture and destruction.
(b) A necessary evil.
(c) A psychosomatic cure.
(d) A humane way to cure madness.
5. How old is Father Cayetano?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
2. Where in the convent is Sierva initially kept?
3. What does Cayetano tell Sierva in chapter four to comfort her?
4. What does the Abbess list off as signs of Sierva's demonic powers to Cayetano?
5. What does Cayetano wear before he goes to see Sierva in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sierva comforted by the slave women in the convent?
2. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
3. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
4. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
5. What happens to Cayetano during the eclipse?
6. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
7. What evidence does the Bishop present that argue for Sierva being possessed?
8. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
9. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
10. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)