|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
(a) He listens to gossip on the streets.
(b) He listens to the slaves' stories.
(c) He reads about them in the Bishop's library.
(d) He reads about African culture.
2. How does Sierva defend her jewelry from the nuns?
(a) She bites the nuns.
(b) She punches the nuns.
(c) She screams for help.
(d) She spits at the nuns.
3. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
(a) Murdering other nuns.
(c) Murdering a priest who tried to assault her.
4. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Viceroy's mistress.
(b) The Vicereine.
(c) The Marquis's third wife.
(d) The Abbess's sister.
5. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
(a) The nuns try to clean her self-inflicted wounds.
(b) The nuns try to cut her hair.
(c) The nuns try to steal her necklaces.
(d) The Bishop attempts to perform an exorcism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cayetano react to the Abbess's attempted hysteria when he first meets Sierva?
2. Whom does Sierva befriend when she first comes to the convent?
3. How does Cayetano, in chapter three, win Sierva's trust?
4. In Cayetano's dream, what is Sierva eating?
5. How does Cayetano react to Sierva's violent fit at the end of chapter four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cayetano begin to feel about Sierva at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
3. How is Sierva comforted by the slave women in the convent?
4. Why does the Vicereine take an interest in Sierva's fate?
5. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
6. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
7. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
8. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
9. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
10. How does Cayetano gain Sierva's trust?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)