|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the nuns steal Sierva's necklaces, what happens that forces the women to return the jewelry?
(a) One of the nuns breaks her neck on a low hanging candelabrum.
(b) Sierva grows sick.
(c) One of the nuns falls down the steps while running away.
(d) The Abbess catches them and forces the nuns to apologize.
2. In what state is Cayetano over Sierva during the Viceroy's visit?
(a) He is exhausted from trying to help her.
(b) He despairs of her heresy.
(c) He is obsessed with her.
(d) He feels disgusted by her.
3. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
(a) Murdering other nuns.
(c) Murdering a priest who tried to assault her.
4. What information does Dr. Abrenuncio impart to Cayetano?
(a) Sierva was abused by her mother.
(b) The town is gossiping about Cayetano's relationship with Sierva.
(c) Sierva is at risk for developing rabies.
(d) The history of rabies and whether Sierva is at risk.
5. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio communicate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
2. What does the Abbess list off as signs of Sierva's demonic powers to Cayetano?
3. What is the result of Cayetano staring into the sun for too long in the beginning of chapter four?
4. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
5. What is the new Viceroy's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sierva react when she is first introduced to the Abbess?
2. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
3. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
4. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
5. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
6. How does Cayetano begin to feel about Sierva at the end of Chapter 3?
7. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
8. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio bond?
9. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
10. Describe the convent.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)