|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was food brought to the convent during the fighting between the Bishop and the Santa Clara convent in the earlier centuries?
(a) A secret tunnel.
(b) Courier pigeons.
(c) Bundles tied to arrows shot over the walls.
(d) Bundles thrown from the trees.
2. Who finds Cayetano in a sorry state at the end of chapter four?
(a) The Marquis.
(c) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(d) The Bishop.
3. When Cayetano first meets Sierva, how is the girl being restrained?
(a) Sierva is chained to the wall.
(b) Sierva is tied to a cross.
(d) Sierva is tied down on a stone bed.
4. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
(a) The fanciest inn.
(b) The Bishop's palace.
(c) The convent.
(d) The Marquis's mansion.
5. What forbidden activity is used to celebrate the arrival of the Viceroy?
(d) Fire walking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural event opens chapter four?
2. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
3. How does Sierva defend her jewelry from the nuns?
4. What is the Abbess's name?
5. What kind of jewelry is Sierva wearing when she arrives at the convent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bernarda run away from the mansion in Chapter 4?
2. What happens around Sierva that the nuns take as signs that she is the center of evil?
3. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
4. How does Martina help Sierva?
5. How does Cayetano gain Sierva's trust?
6. What happens to Cayetano during the eclipse?
7. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
8. What does the Abbess complain about to the Bishop in Chapter 4?
9. What leads to Cayetano promising Sierva to free her in Chapter 4?
10. What is significant about the book Cayetano speaks of to Dr. Abrenuncio?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)