|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
(a) She has lost most of her body fat and looks sickly.
(b) She is sick and bloated.
(c) She has rabies.
(d) She has cancer.
2. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
(a) A person.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
3. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
(b) Dona Olalla de Mendoza.
(c) Dulce Olivia.
4. What rabid animals attack the town?
5. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
(a) He gives her to Sagunta for a blessing.
(b) He buys her a new dress.
(c) He sends her to church.
(d) He takes her out of the slave quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sierva lie to the doctor?
2. Who is the narrator of this novel?
3. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
4. What is strange about Dulce Olivia?
5. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
2. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
3. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
4. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
5. Describe the character of the Bishop.
6. What is Cayetano's fate after confessing his love for Sierva to the Bishop?
7. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
8. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
9. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
10. Describe the intimate nature of Cayetano's relationship with Sierva.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)