|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sierva spend all her time?
(a) The church.
(b) Slave quarters.
(c) The sugarcane fields.
(d) The market.
2. What does Don Ygnacio do for the man he meets on his way home from visiting the rabies patient?
(a) Sends him a new horse.
(b) Prays for him.
(c) Buys him several books.
(d) Sends him money for a new horse.
3. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
(a) He forbids going to church.
(b) He forbids Ygnacio to marry Dulce Olivia.
(c) He forbids Ygnacio from dancing and singing.
(d) He forbids Olivia from eating.
4. Who is Judas Iscariote?
(a) Bernarda's former lover.
(b) Bernarda's brother.
(c) The slave that raises Sierva.
(d) Dr. Abrenuncio's patient.
5. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
(a) Smart business tactics.
(c) Trading and fraud.
(d) Selling slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
2. What religion besides Christianity does Dominga follow?
3. Why is she going to the market?
4. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
5. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
2. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
3. What does the Bishop claim about maintaining faith to the Viceroy?
4. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
5. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
6. Describe Father Cayetano's character.
7. How does Cayetano reach Sierva's cell in Chapter 5?
8. What is Father Cayetano's dream in chapter three?
9. Describe the centuries-old conflict between the convent and the Bishop.
10. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)