|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
(a) Racing horses.
(b) Indulging in sex and drugs.
2. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
(a) Dance with her.
(b) Kiss her on the lips.
(c) Read to her.
(d) Sleep with her.
3. How does Judas die?
(a) Murdered for his drugs.
(b) Beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) Drug overdose.
4. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
(a) Her marriage to the Marquis.
(b) Giving birth to Sierva.
(c) Her affair with Judas.
(d) Her arrival in New Grenada.
5. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
2. What does the Bishop consider Dr. Abrenuncio?
3. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
4. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
5. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
2. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
3. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
4. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
5. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
6. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
7. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
8. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
10. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)