|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Ygnacio that Sierva is going mad?
(a) Caridad del Cobre.
(d) Dr. Abernuncio.
2. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She commits suicide.
(c) She is struck by lightning.
(d) She is thrown from a horse.
3. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
(a) Dona Olalla de Mendoza.
(c) Dulce Olivia.
4. What is the station of the person raising Sierva?
5. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) Leave her alone.
(b) Send her away from New Grenada.
(c) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(d) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
2. What does the Bishop consider Dr. Abrenuncio?
3. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
4. What rabid animals attack the town?
5. Where does the next scene of chapter one take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
3. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
4. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
5. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
6. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
7. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
8. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
9. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
10. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)