|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What date does Dr. Abrenuncio give for Bernarda's death?
(a) August 1st.
(b) September 15th.
(c) August 15th.
(d) September 1st.
2. Who tells Ygnacio that Sierva is going mad?
(b) Dr. Abernuncio.
(d) Caridad del Cobre.
3. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
(a) 500 years ago.
(b) 400 years ago.
(c) 200 years ago.
(d) 300 years ago.
4. How does the Marquis learn to read and write?
(a) He watches from outside a classroom window while a teacher goes through the alphabet.
(b) He reads the Bible.
(c) He communicates with the mad woman next door.
(d) He simply picked up a book and figured it out.
5. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
(a) Father Cayetano.
(b) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Abbess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
2. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
3. In what modern country is the next scene set?
4. What rabid animals attack the town?
5. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
2. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
3. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
4. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
5. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
6. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
7. Describe the character of the Bishop.
8. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
9. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
10. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)