|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
(a) She buys him.
(b) He buys her a drink.
(c) She accidentally runs her horse into his.
(d) He is sent to entrap her in marriage.
2. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
(a) Selling slaves.
(b) Smart business tactics.
(c) Trading and fraud.
3. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
(b) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
(c) He must discipline his daughter.
(d) He must send Sierva to Italy.
4. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A person.
5. What religion besides Christianity does Dominga follow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is she going to the market?
2. Why does the doctor doubt that Sierva has rabies?
3. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
4. What does Don Ygnacio do for the man he meets on his way home from visiting the rabies patient?
5. What rabid animals attack the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
2. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
3. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
4. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
5. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
6. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
7. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
8. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
9. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
10. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)