|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state is the family's mansion?
2. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
(a) Mary de la Santos.
(b) Maria Mandinga.
(c) Maria Dominga.
(d) Mandinga du Martia.
3. Why is she going to the market?
(a) Her mother sent her.
(b) She is bored and wants to get into trouble.
(c) She wants to buy a dog.
(d) It is her birthday.
4. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
(a) Bernarda purposefully becomes pregnant.
(b) Bernarda admits she loves him.
(c) They do not want to grow old alone.
(d) Ygnacio will lose his inheritance if he does not marry.
5. Where does the next scene of chapter one take place?
(d) New Grenada.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sierva?
2. What date does Dr. Abrenuncio give for Bernarda's death?
3. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
4. In what modern country is the next scene set?
5. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
2. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
3. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
4. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
5. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
6. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
7. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
8. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
9. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
10. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)