|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
(b) Leave her alone.
(c) Send her away from New Grenada.
(d) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
2. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
(b) Sierva attempts suicide.
(c) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(d) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
3. What religion besides Christianity does Dominga follow?
4. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
(a) Ygnacio stops communicating with his daughter.
(b) She is beginning to communicate with her father.
(c) They begin to read together.
(d) Sierva resents her father more.
5. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
(a) Caridad del Cobre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bishop tell the Marquis about his daughter?
2. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
3. What instrument does Ygnacio play for Sierva?
4. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
2. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
3. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
4. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
5. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
6. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
7. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
8. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
9. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
10. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)