|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
(a) Only nuns may cut their hair.
(b) She screams until they promise to stop.
(c) It is a sign of disrespect to cut her hair.
(d) It is a tribute to God until she is married.
2. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
(a) She is struck by lightning.
(b) She is thrown from a horse.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She commits suicide.
3. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
(a) Sierva resents her father more.
(b) They begin to read together.
(c) She is beginning to communicate with her father.
(d) Ygnacio stops communicating with his daughter.
4. What does the Marquis do for Sierva, despite what Dr. Abrenuncio tells him?
(a) He forces her to take communion.
(b) He ignores her symptoms.
(c) He takes her to the Bishop.
(d) He takes her to several quacks to try to cure her.
5. What religion besides Christianity does Dominga follow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the slaves sent to do towards the end of chapter one?
2. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
3. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
4. What does the Bishop consider Dr. Abrenuncio?
5. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
2. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
3. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
4. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
5. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
6. Describe the character of the Bishop.
7. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
8. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
9. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
10. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)