|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(b) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(c) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
(d) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
2. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
(a) He is sent to entrap her in marriage.
(b) She buys him.
(c) He buys her a drink.
(d) She accidentally runs her horse into his.
3. Why are the slaves waiting in the harbor?
(a) They are hiding.
(b) They are being sold.
(d) They are to be freed.
4. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
(a) Ygnacio will lose his inheritance if he does not marry.
(b) Bernarda purposefully becomes pregnant.
(c) Bernarda admits she loves him.
(d) They do not want to grow old alone.
5. Where does the next scene of chapter one take place?
(c) New Grenada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the skull?
2. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Don Ygnacio admit to the doctor?
4. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
5. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sierva prefer to live in the slave quarters instead of the mansion?
2. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
3. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
4. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
5. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
6. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
7. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
8. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
9. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
10. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)