|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(b) Send her away from New Grenada.
(c) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
(d) Leave her alone.
2. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
3. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
(a) The Mahates sugar plantation.
(c) The Marquis's summer cottage in Colombia.
4. To whom does the skull found in the crypts belong?
(a) An old man.
(b) A 12-year-old girl.
(c) A young nun.
(d) A 36-year-old man.
5. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
(d) Slave trader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
2. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
3. What is unique about the skull?
4. Where does the next scene of chapter one take place?
5. Who is the narrator of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
2. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
3. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
4. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
5. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
6. Describe Ygnacio as a youth.
7. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
8. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
9. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
10. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)