|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does the skull found in the crypts belong?
(a) An old man.
(b) A 12-year-old girl.
(c) A 36-year-old man.
(d) A young nun.
2. How old is Sierva?
3. After the death of his wife, why does Ygnacio keep his dogs near?
(a) He is afraid to be alone.
(b) They comfort him, as his wife loved the dogs.
(c) He is afraid of the slaves.
(d) He believes they are the only things that love him.
4. What does the Marquis do for Sierva, despite what Dr. Abrenuncio tells him?
(a) He takes her to several quacks to try to cure her.
(b) He forces her to take communion.
(c) He ignores her symptoms.
(d) He takes her to the Bishop.
5. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
(a) Mentally retarded.
(c) Smart, but unfocused.
(d) Too much of a wanderer to settle down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is raising Sierva?
2. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
3. Who is the narrator of this novel?
4. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
5. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of the Bishop.
2. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
3. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
4. Why must the convent not cut Sierva's hair?
5. Why does Olivia escape from the madhouse and what is the result?
6. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
7. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
8. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
9. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
10. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)