|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
(b) He must send Sierva to Italy.
(c) He must discipline his daughter.
(d) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
2. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
(b) Dulce Olivia.
(d) Dona Olalla de Mendoza.
3. What is the Bishop afflicted with?
(b) Kidney problems.
4. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
(a) The Abbess.
(b) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(c) Father Cayetano.
(d) The Bishop.
5. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
(a) She feels that Sierva has great potential and is too good for New Grenada.
(b) She loves her more than anything.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She does not mind her daughter but does not understand her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the skull?
2. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
3. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
4. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
5. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
2. Why does Ygnacio's father object to his son marrying Dulce Olivia?
3. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
4. Describe the character of the Bishop.
5. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
6. What condition does the beginning of the book find Bernarda in and why?
7. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
8. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
9. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
10. What treatments does Sierva receive in her father's effort to cure her "madness?"
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)