|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this novel?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The author.
2. After the death of his wife, why does Ygnacio keep his dogs near?
(a) He is afraid of the slaves.
(b) He believes they are the only things that love him.
(c) They comfort him, as his wife loved the dogs.
(d) He is afraid to be alone.
3. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
(b) The Bishop.
(d) The Abbess.
4. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
(b) Leave her alone.
(c) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(d) Send her away from New Grenada.
5. What terrified Ygnacio on his father's estate?
(a) The stories of ghosts.
(b) The isolation.
(c) The storms.
(d) The farm animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
2. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Don Ygnacio admit to the doctor?
4. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
5. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chapter 4 end with Cayetano whipping himself?
2. How is the Viceroy introduced to Sierva and why?
3. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
5. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
6. How is rabies treated by the citizens of New Grenada from the first chapter?
7. What does Bernarda confess to the Marquis at the end of the novel?
8. How does Father Aquino bring hope to Sierva?
9. How does Cayetano begin to feel about Sierva at the end of Chapter 3?
10. What does Sierva reveal about her demon talk to Martina in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)