|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
(a) The Abbess.
(c) The Bishop.
2. In what modern country is the next scene set?
3. Why does Sierva lie to the doctor?
(a) She picked it up from the slaves when they use it as a survival tactic.
(b) She does not want the doctor to know she was bitten badly.
(c) She does not trust the doctor not to send her away.
(d) She does not want the doctor to know that she lied about the bite.
4. What does the Bishop tell the Marquis about his daughter?
(a) She must be baptized.
(b) She is possessed by demons.
(c) She is not mad, but undisciplined.
(d) She is going to die.
5. What are the slaves sent to do towards the end of chapter one?
(a) Gather up their animals to be sold.
(b) Find a doctor for Sierva.
(c) Find herbs that are meant to cure Sierva.
(d) Beg for money and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
2. Why does the doctor doubt that Sierva has rabies?
3. Who reminds Don Ygnacio about the animal biting Sierva?
4. What does Don Ygnacio admit to the doctor?
5. In what state is the family's mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernarda force the Marquis into marriage?
2. Describe Bernarda's relationship with Judas.
3. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
4. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
5. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
6. How does Ygnacio's first wife deal with her husband?
7. What happens to Sierva while in the marketplace?
8. Why does the Marquis give his daughter to the Holy Office?
9. How does Sierva's relationship with her father improve in Chapter 2?
10. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)