|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
(b) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(c) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(d) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
2. What animal stays behind while the others run off on the estate of Ygnacio's father?
(a) A horse.
(b) A pig.
(c) A mastiff.
(d) A sheep.
3. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
(a) Slave trader.
4. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
(a) She has rabies.
(b) She has lost most of her body fat and looks sickly.
(c) She has cancer.
(d) She is sick and bloated.
5. How does the Marquis learn to read and write?
(a) He reads the Bible.
(b) He simply picked up a book and figured it out.
(c) He watches from outside a classroom window while a teacher goes through the alphabet.
(d) He communicates with the mad woman next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
2. What instrument does Ygnacio play for Sierva?
3. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
4. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
5. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about the tall slave girl brought into New Grenada from the ship?
2. How does the friendship between Ygnacio and Dr. Abrenuncio begin?
3. What is the connection between the skull found in the crypts of the convent and the author's memories of a legend?
4. Describe the character of the Bishop.
5. Describe Bernarda and Ygnacio's relationship with Sierva.
6. Why does Sierva lie to Dr. Abrenuncio?
7. What does Dr. Abrenuncio believe about Sierva and her brush with rabies and what treatment does he recommend?
8. How does Bernarda spend her time on the sugar plantation and in what condition does she return?
9. Why does Sierva have a strong affinity for the African culture?
10. What sort of man does Don Ygnacio appear to be in Chapter 1?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)