|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
3. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
4. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
5. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
Essay Topic 1
There is a saying that "ignorance is bliss." Discuss knowledge versus ignorance in the context of the play.
1) Why is Oedipus driven to seek out the truth about himself? Why isn't he afraid of what he might find?
2) Why does Jocasta not want Oedipus to find out the truth, even when she has clearly realized it herself? Could there be any benefit to the characters in continuing to live in ignorance?
3) In the end of the play, if Oedipus could go back and undo his own knowledge, do you think he would? Use evidence from the play to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss prophecy in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What is the reasons gods provide prophecies in OEDIPUS THE KING? If the characters know their futures, why aren't they better able to change them?
2) How do prophecies fulfill themselves in OEDIPUS THE KING? Are prophecies escapable?
3) How is the prophecy Laius receives different from the prophecy Oedipus receives? Why are these prophecies different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the function of the chorus in the play.
1) Who does the chorus represent? What is their attitude toward Oedipus and the events that unfold?
2) How is the chorus similar to the play's audience? How is the chorus different form the audience?
3) Is the chorus always "right"? Do they reflect the attitude of the author?
This section contains 1,786 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)