Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss prophecy in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What is the reasons gods provide prophecies in OEDIPUS THE KING? If the characters know their futures, why aren't they better able to change them?
2) How do prophecies fulfill themselves in OEDIPUS THE KING? Are prophecies escapable?
3) How is the prophecy Laius receives different from the prophecy Oedipus receives? Why are these prophecies different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the function of the chorus in the play.
1) Who does the chorus represent? What is their attitude toward Oedipus and the events that unfold?
2) How is the chorus similar to the play's audience? How is the chorus different form the audience?
3) Is the chorus always "right"? Do they reflect the attitude of the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss blindness in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Why is the character of Teiresias blind? Does his blindness increase his prophetic ability? Does his blindness have a metaphoric quality?
2) Discuss Oedipus's choice of blindness as a punishment. Why does Oedipus choose to be blind? Is Oedipus's blindness metaphoric?
3) What other metaphoric meanings does blindness have in the story? Use quotations from the play as examples.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)