Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature and consequences of defying the gods in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) How does Oedipus defy the gods? How do Laius and Jocasta defy the gods? What does the punishment seem to be for this defiance?
2) Why does Creon insist on consulting with the gods before banishing Oedipus? If the gods insist on this type of close compliance to their prophets, is there any need for a ruler as intermediary? Where is Creon's power as king, if he must defer to the gods?
3) How would the characters be best able to please the gods? What would have been the results of their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of power and leadership in the play.
1) What qualities make a good leader in the play? Who would make a better leader, Oedipus or Creon?
2) What are the benefits and drawbacks of power in the play? How do Oedipus and Creon view power?
3) How does Jocasta affect Oedipus's leadership in the play?
4) What role do the gods play in leadership? Compare the power of the gods to the power of men.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss blindness in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Why is the character of Teiresias blind? Does his blindness increase his prophetic ability? Does his blindness have a metaphoric quality?
2) Discuss Oedipus's choice of blindness as a punishment. Why does Oedipus choose to be blind? Is Oedipus's blindness metaphoric?
3) What other metaphoric meanings does blindness have in the story? Use quotations from the play as examples.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)