Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
Discuss free will and predestination in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Is Oedipus predestined to his fate, or does he have free will? Are these two ideas completely incompatible?
2) Can Oedipus be held responsible for his actions, if his fate is predestined?
3) How does predestination affect the position of a ruler? Are all the joys and woes that befall the ruler's lands predestined? What is the role of the leader, if fate is predestined?
Discuss denial in Oedipus.
1) When and how much does Jocasta know about Oedipus' background and crimes? Does Jocasta realize what is going on, at least on some level, and hide it from herself? What characteristics does she have that might make this plausible?
2) When and how much does Oedipus know about his own background and crimes? Is Oedipus in denial of his crimes at all?
3) Does the chorus seem to have any inkling of the truth? Is it possible that the people of the town could be in denial? Support your reasoning with evidence from the text.
Discuss the timeline of Oedipus' story.
1) Why does Oedipus' story begin years after Oedipus killed his father?
2) How does the audience gain information about Oedipus's past?
3) What is the importance of the past events in Oedipus' life: the prophecy given to him, leaving his parents, meeting the stranger on the road, and defeating the Sphinx? Are any of the events in the play comparable in importance to the past events in Oedipus' life?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)