|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
2. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
3. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
4. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
5. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in the play.
1) What is Jocasta's role as queen? How do the people seem to treat Jocasta?
2) Creon says that Jocasta and Oedipus rule as equals. Is this true? How does Oedipus treat Jocasta?
2) Why does Oedipus fear for his daughters more than his sons at the end of the play? What does this say about the treatment of men and women in the society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss free will and predestination in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Is Oedipus predestined to his fate, or does he have free will? Are these two ideas completely incompatible?
2) Can Oedipus be held responsible for his actions, if his fate is predestined?
3) How does predestination affect the position of a ruler? Are all the joys and woes that befall the ruler's lands predestined? What is the role of the leader, if fate is predestined?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the function of the chorus in the play.
1) Who does the chorus represent? What is their attitude toward Oedipus and the events that unfold?
2) How is the chorus similar to the play's audience? How is the chorus different form the audience?
3) Is the chorus always "right"? Do they reflect the attitude of the author?
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)