|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
2. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
3. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
4. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
5. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
3. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
4. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
5. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
6. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
7. How did Polybus die?
8. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
9. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
10. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss prophecy in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What is the reasons gods provide prophecies in OEDIPUS THE KING? If the characters know their futures, why aren't they better able to change them?
2) How do prophecies fulfill themselves in OEDIPUS THE KING? Are prophecies escapable?
3) How is the prophecy Laius receives different from the prophecy Oedipus receives? Why are these prophecies different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and family relationships in the play.
1) Discuss Oedipus' love for his children. Why does this love only come out at the end of the play?
2) Discuss Oedipus' love for Jocasta in this play. Is this love in any way caused by their biological relationship?
3) Discuss Oedipus' love for Thebes. Does Oedipus truly love Thebes? How does Oedipus treat his "children," as he calls them at the beginning of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the qualities of a leader, as illustrated in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him seem like a good leader? Why do the people of Thebes choose him as a leader?
2) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him not a good leader? How do these qualities affect Oedipus's leadership?
3) What kind of a leader does Creon seem to be? Compare Creon's leadership qualities with Oedipus's.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)