Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
2. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
3. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
4. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
5. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
6. Explain the irony of Teiresias' blindness.
7. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
8. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
9. What does Oedipus say when he hears Creon is approaching?
10. Which of his sins does Oedipus believe is the worst?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Oedipus's justification of choosing blindness and exile as his punishment.
1) Why does Oedipus feel the need to punish himself for his "crimes'?
2) Why does Oedipus choose the particular punishment of blindness? Why does Oedipus want to be exiled from Thebes?
3) Will Oedipus's punishment fit his crime? Is Oedipus's punishment a fair one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the qualities of a leader, as illustrated in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him seem like a good leader? Why do the people of Thebes choose him as a leader?
2) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him not a good leader? How do these qualities affect Oedipus's leadership?
3) What kind of a leader does Creon seem to be? Compare Creon's leadership qualities with Oedipus's.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Oedipus' temper and his tendency to anger.
1) What types of things cause Oedipus anger? What instigates Oedipus's anger with Teiresias? Creon? Laius?
2) How does Oedipus' temper affect his ability to lead Thebes? Does Oedipus get angry for his own sake or for the sake of Thebes?
3) What is the root of Oedipus' anger? Is Oedipus angry about the things he says he is, or is there a deeper reason for Oedipus' anger?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)