Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
2. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
3. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
4. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
5. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
6. Explain the irony of Teiresias' blindness.
7. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
8. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
9. What does Oedipus say when he hears Creon is approaching?
10. Which of his sins does Oedipus believe is the worst?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Oedipus's justification of choosing blindness and exile as his punishment.
1) Why does Oedipus feel the need to punish himself for his "crimes'?
2) Why does Oedipus choose the particular punishment of blindness? Why does Oedipus want to be exiled from Thebes?
3) Will Oedipus's punishment fit his crime? Is Oedipus's punishment a fair one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss free will and predestination in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Is Oedipus predestined to his fate, or does he have free will? Are these two ideas completely incompatible?
2) Can Oedipus be held responsible for his actions, if his fate is predestined?
3) How does predestination affect the position of a ruler? Are all the joys and woes that befall the ruler's lands predestined? What is the role of the leader, if fate is predestined?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss blindness in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Why is the character of Teiresias blind? Does his blindness increase his prophetic ability? Does his blindness have a metaphoric quality?
2) Discuss Oedipus's choice of blindness as a punishment. Why does Oedipus choose to be blind? Is Oedipus's blindness metaphoric?
3) What other metaphoric meanings does blindness have in the story? Use quotations from the play as examples.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)