|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
3. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
4. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
2. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
3. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
4. Why doesn't Oedipus listen to Teiresias?
5. What is Teiresias referring to when he says Oedipus and his children will be "equals"?
6. What does the priest appeal to in asking Oedipus to save the city?
7. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
8. How does Oedipus respond to the townspeople's pleas for help?
9. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
10. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss free will and predestination in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Is Oedipus predestined to his fate, or does he have free will? Are these two ideas completely incompatible?
2) Can Oedipus be held responsible for his actions, if his fate is predestined?
3) How does predestination affect the position of a ruler? Are all the joys and woes that befall the ruler's lands predestined? What is the role of the leader, if fate is predestined?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss justice in the play.
1) What acts in the play call for retribution by the gods? Why are these acts singled out? What makes an act call for justice?
2) Are the gods in the play just or unjust? Does Oedipus truly deserve punishment?
3) How does a ruler mete out justice? Is Oedipus a just ruler? What qualities in a ruler promote justice? Use examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the qualities of a leader, as illustrated in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him seem like a good leader? Why do the people of Thebes choose him as a leader?
2) What qualities does Oedipus have that make him not a good leader? How do these qualities affect Oedipus's leadership?
3) What kind of a leader does Creon seem to be? Compare Creon's leadership qualities with Oedipus's.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)