|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(d) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
2. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(a) the oracle
3. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(d) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
4. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never speak again
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll never see Thebes again
(d) that she'll join Laius
5. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for her own safety
(b) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(c) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
2. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
3. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)