|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
(b) a son who was stolen away
(c) a son who died
(d) a daughter who died
2. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(b) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(c) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(d) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
3. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
(b) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(c) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(d) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
4. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Creon
(b) not seeing his parents
(c) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(d) having met Jocasta
5. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) speak with Teiresias again
(b) talk to the oracle at Delphi
(c) question his sister Jocasta
(d) look inside his own heart
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
2. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
3. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
4. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
5. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
2. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
3. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
4. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
5. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
6. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
7. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
8. How did Polybus die?
9. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
10. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)