|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(b) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
2. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
3. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(b) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(c) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(d) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
4. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(c) the messenger
(d) a stranger
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) freedom from fear but no power
(b) royal benefits but no freedom
(c) power and benefits without fear
(d) fear and power but no freedom
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
2. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
3. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
4. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
5. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
2. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
3. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
4. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
5. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
6. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
7. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
8. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
9. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
10. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)