|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(d) the oracle
2. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(b) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
3. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
(b) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(c) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(d) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
4. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(b) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(c) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(d) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
5. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) talk to the oracle at Delphi
(b) speak with Teiresias again
(c) question his sister Jocasta
(d) look inside his own heart
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
2. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
3. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
4. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
5. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
2. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
3. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
4. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
5. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
6. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
7. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
8. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
9. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
10. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)