|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(b) a priest of Apollo
(c) no one
(d) servants of Oedipus
2. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) power and benefits without fear
(b) royal benefits but no freedom
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) freedom from fear but no power
3. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(a) the oracle
4. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) No, he has never seen the old man.
(b) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(c) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(d) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
5. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(b) how long Teiresias has been blind
(c) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
(d) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
2. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
4. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
5. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
2. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
3. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
4. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
5. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
6. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
7. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
8. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
9. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
10. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)