|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never see Thebes again
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll never speak again
(d) that she'll join Laius
2. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(b) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(c) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
(d) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
3. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(b) He'll die.
(c) He'll be outcast among the people.
(d) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
4. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(b) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(c) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(d) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in Laius' house
(b) in a distant village
(c) in a poor house in Thebes
(d) in Corinth
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
4. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
5. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)