|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) on the doorstep of his home
(b) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(c) by the banks of a river
(d) on the border of Corinth
2. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never speak again
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll join Laius
(d) that she'll never see Thebes again
3. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) how long Teiresias has been blind
(b) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(c) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(d) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
4. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) speak with Teiresias again
(b) talk to the oracle at Delphi
(c) question his sister Jocasta
(d) look inside his own heart
5. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(b) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
2. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
3. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
4. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
5. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Oedipus about his parentage?
2. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
3. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
4. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
5. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
6. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
7. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
8. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
9. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
10. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)