|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(d) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Creon was guilty.
(b) Oedipus was angry.
(c) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(d) Creon is being framed.
3. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) how long Teiresias has been blind
(b) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(c) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(d) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
4. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) at the kingdom's border
(b) where three roads meet
(c) where two roads cross a stream
(d) where the flatlands begin to become steep
5. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(b) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(c) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(d) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
2. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
3. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
4. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
5. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
2. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
3. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
4. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
5. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
6. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
7. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
8. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
9. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
10. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)