|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Oedipus' home
(b) where to find Teiresias
(c) where to find Jocasta
(d) where to find Creon's home
2. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(b) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(d) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
3. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
(a) arrest Creon and sentence him to death
(b) banish Creon from the kingdom forever
(c) kill Creon before his sister's eyes
(d) cut Creon's throat then and there
4. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(b) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(c) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(d) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
5. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's of low social status
(b) that he's Polybus' son after all
(c) that he's not born of natural parents
(d) that he's older than they believed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
2. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
3. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
4. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
5. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
2. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
3. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
4. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Oedipus about his parentage?
5. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
6. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
7. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
8. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
9. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
10. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)