|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(b) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(c) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(d) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
2. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(b) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(c) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
3. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
4. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(b) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(c) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(d) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
5. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Creon's home
(b) where to find Teiresias
(c) where to find Jocasta
(d) where to find Oedipus' home
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
2. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
3. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
4. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
5. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
2. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
3. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
4. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
5. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
6. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
7. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
8. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
9. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
10. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)