|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(b) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(c) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(d) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
2. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
(a) a son who died
(b) a son who was stolen away
(c) a daughter who died
3. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(b) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(d) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
4. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
5. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) send Creon away instead of killing him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
2. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
3. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
4. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
2. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
3. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
4. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
5. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
6. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
7. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
8. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
9. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
10. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Oedipus about his parentage?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)