|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(b) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(c) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(d) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
2. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
3. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(b) the messenger
(d) a stranger
4. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
(b) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
(c) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
(d) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
5. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a garland and incense
(b) a gift from Teiresias
(c) a scarlet cape
(d) her youngest child
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
2. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
3. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
4. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
5. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
2. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
3. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
4. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
5. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
6. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
7. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
8. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
9. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
10. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)