|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Jocasta
(b) where to find Oedipus' home
(c) where to find Teiresias
(d) where to find Creon's home
2. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(b) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(c) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(d) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
3. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(d) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
4. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(b) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(c) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
(d) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
5. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's not born of natural parents
(b) that he's of low social status
(c) that he's older than they believed
(d) that he's Polybus' son after all
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
2. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
3. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
4. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
5. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
2. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
3. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
4. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
5. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
6. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
7. How did Polybus die?
8. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
9. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
10. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)