|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) send Creon away instead of killing him
(b) make her responsible for Creon
(c) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(d) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
2. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(c) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
3. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
(b) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(c) to ask for her own safety
(d) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
4. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
(a) cut Creon's throat then and there
(b) banish Creon from the kingdom forever
(c) kill Creon before his sister's eyes
(d) arrest Creon and sentence him to death
5. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(c) a stranger
(d) the messenger
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
2. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
3. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
4. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
5. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
2. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
3. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
4. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
5. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
6. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
7. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
8. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
9. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
10. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)