|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(d) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
2. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) flees the city of Thebes
(b) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(c) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(d) talks to the people of Thebes
3. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's not born of natural parents
(b) that he's of low social status
(c) that he's older than they believed
(d) that he's Polybus' son after all
4. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(b) like children who see their father's fear
(c) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(d) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
5. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
(b) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(c) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(d) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
2. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
3. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
4. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
5. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
3. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
4. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
5. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
6. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
7. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
8. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
9. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
10. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)