|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(d) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(b) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(c) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(d) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) power and benefits without fear
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) freedom from fear but no power
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(b) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(c) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(d) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) Jocasta's young maid
(b) one of Laius' soldiers
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) one of Laius' shepherds
Short Answer Questions
1. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
2. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
3. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
4. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
5. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)