|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
2. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(b) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(c) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(d) He agrees to tell her his worries.
3. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(b) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(c) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(d) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
4. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(b) because the prophets speak for the gods
(c) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(d) because his mother is still alive
5. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) at the kingdom's border
(b) where three roads meet
(c) where two roads cross a stream
(d) where the flatlands begin to become steep
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
3. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
4. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
5. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
2. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
3. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
4. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
5. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
6. How did Polybus die?
7. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
8. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
9. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
10. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)