|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(a) the messenger
(b) the chorus
2. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(b) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(c) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(d) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) freedom from fear but no power
(b) royal benefits but no freedom
(c) power and benefits without fear
(d) fear and power but no freedom
4. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(b) Jocasta's maid
(d) Laius's servant
5. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(c) three of the injured men
(d) a servant who escaped
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
2. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
3. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
4. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
5. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the scar on Oedipus' ankles?
2. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
3. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
4. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
5. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
6. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
7. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
8. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
9. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
10. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)