|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(c) the gods
2. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' shepherds
(b) Jocasta's young maid
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) one of Laius' soldiers
3. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(b) the oracle
4. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) talks to the people of Thebes
(b) flees the city of Thebes
(c) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(d) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
5. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
3. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
4. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
5. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
2. How did Polybus die?
3. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Oedipus about his parentage?
4. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
5. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
6. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
7. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
8. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
9. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
10. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)