|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(c) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(d) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
2. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his knees
(b) his wrists
(c) his elbows
(d) his ankles
4. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(b) being power hungry and greedy
(c) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
(d) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
5. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) sad and regretful
(b) glad and happy
(c) both glad and sad
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
3. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
4. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
5. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
2. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
3. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Oedipus about his parentage?
4. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
5. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
6. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
7. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
8. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
9. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
10. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)