|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(b) Jocasta's maid
(d) Laius's servant
2. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(b) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(c) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(d) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
3. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) Jocasta's young maid
(b) an old man he cannot identify
(c) one of Laius' shepherds
(d) one of Laius' soldiers
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(b) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
(c) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(d) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
5. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's Polybus' son after all
(b) that he's older than they believed
(c) that he's not born of natural parents
(d) that he's of low social status
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
2. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
3. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
4. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
5. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
3. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
4. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
5. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
6. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
7. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
8. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
9. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
10. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)