|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) mar Teiresias's reputation
(b) rule as king
(c) gain wealth
(d) hurt his sister
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(b) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his elbows
(b) his ankles
(c) his knees
(d) his wrists
4. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
5. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
(b) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
(c) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(d) being power hungry and greedy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
2. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
3. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
4. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
5. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
2. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
3. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
4. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
5. How did Polybus die?
6. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
7. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
8. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
9. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
10. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)