|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(a) Jocasta's maid
(b) Laius's servant
2. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(b) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(c) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(d) They told Oedipus that it was true.
3. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in a poor house in Thebes
(b) in a distant village
(c) in Laius' house
(d) in Corinth
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
2. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
3. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
4. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
5. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
2. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
3. How does Oedipus react to Creon's self defense?
4. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
5. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
6. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
7. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
8. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
9. What prophecy does Jocasta tell Oedipus about?
10. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)