|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(b) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(c) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(d) He agrees to tell her his worries.
2. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(b) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
3. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(d) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
4. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
5. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) make her responsible for Creon
(b) send Creon away instead of killing him
(c) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(d) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
2. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
3. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
4. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
5. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
2. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
3. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
4. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
5. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
6. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
7. What is the chorus' foremost concern?
8. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
9. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
10. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)