|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
(b) into the mountains of Thebes
(c) away from both Thebes and Corinth
(d) back to Corinth
2. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
3. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
4. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(a) the oracle
5. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(b) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(c) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(d) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
Short Answer Questions
1. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
2. What does Creon say his current position brings?
3. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
4. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
5. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
2. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
3. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
4. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
5. What is Oedipus's attitude toward his wife?
6. What is the first thing Oedipus tells Jocasta, when he tells her about the argument between himself and Creon?
7. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
8. What main news does the messenger from Corinth bring?
9. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
10. How does the chorus react to Creon's self defense?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)