|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
(a) leave Thebes immediately
(b) fight him
(c) fall on his knees and pray
(d) repeat what he's said
2. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(c) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
3. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(b) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(c) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(d) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
4. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) angry and annoyed
(c) overjoyed and cheerful
(d) critical and derisive
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to the kingdom of Corinth
(b) to Zeus's oracle
(c) to wander the wilderness
(d) to Apollo's shrine
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
4. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
5. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
2. Describe Oedipus's attitude toward Creon when Creon returns.
3. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
4. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
5. How does Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias change during their first discussion?
6. What is Teiresias referring to when he says Oedipus and his children will be "equals"?
7. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
8. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
9. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
10. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)