|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(b) the chorus leader
(d) a small boy
2. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
(a) fall on his knees and pray
(b) repeat what he's said
(c) fight him
(d) leave Thebes immediately
3. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(b) It's both good and bad news.
(c) It's good news.
(d) It's bad news.
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the town elders
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the blind prophet
(d) the gods or wise men
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(b) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(d) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
2. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
4. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
5. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
2. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
3. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
4. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
5. Describe Oedipus's attitude toward Creon when Creon returns.
6. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
7. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
8. What does Oedipus promise to do when Creon returns?
9. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
10. How does Oedipus respond to the townspeople's pleas for help?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)