|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his creations
(b) his children
(c) the gods' children
(d) the gods' creations
2. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he comes from no nation
(b) that he is a Corinthian
(c) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(d) that he is an Athenian
3. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) leave the town until the murderer is found
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(d) talk or gossip about the murder
4. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the family he's come from
(b) the power of prophecy
(c) the name of the murderer
(d) the true wishes of the gods
5. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a laurel wreath
(b) a crown
(c) a hood
(d) a chain of daisies
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
2. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
3. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
5. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
2. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
3. Why does Jocasta try to stop Oedipus from trying to find out the truth of his birth?
4. Describe how the townspeople view Oedipus.
5. Why does Oedipus question how his father could love him?
6. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
7. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
8. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
9. What is the shepherd's reaction to being questioned about the infant he gave away and being told that Oedipus is that infant?
10. What does Jocasta's description of the place where Laius was killed mean to Oedipus?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)