|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(b) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(c) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(d) That Oedipus has two fathers.
3. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a chain of daisies
(b) a hood
(c) a laurel wreath
(d) a crown
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a roaring lion
(b) a thundering beast
(c) a sinister snake
(d) a fiery god
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
2. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
3. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
2. What reason does Teiresias give for coming to see Oedipus?
3. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
4. How does Teiresias feel about having come to see Oedipus at the king's request?
5. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
6. What is Teiresias referring to when he says Oedipus and his children will be "equals"?
7. What does Oedipus wish for any townspeople who don't obey his orders?
8. Explain the irony of Teiresias' blindness.
9. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
10. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)