|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a mountain
(b) an ocean
(c) a desert
(d) a forest
2. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets are always wrong.
(b) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(c) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(d) Human prophets have human motivations.
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It brings no benefits.
(b) It is a blessing and a curse.
(c) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(d) It is fleeting and unreliable.
4. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' children
(b) the gods' creations
(c) his children
(d) his creations
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the power of prophecy
(b) the name of the murderer
(c) the true wishes of the gods
(d) the family he's come from
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
3. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
4. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
5. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
2. How does Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias change during their first discussion?
3. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
4. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
5. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
6. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
7. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
8. What reason does Teiresias give for coming to see Oedipus?
9. What does Oedipus wish for any townspeople who don't obey his orders?
10. Why doesn't Oedipus listen to Teiresias?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)