|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) on the nearby mountain
(b) in Thebes
(c) in Corinth
(d) hiding in the countryside
2. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
(a) the oracle
3. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(d) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
4. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(b) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(c) not talking with Creon
(d) not talking with Jocasta
5. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
(c) with sorrow
(d) with fear
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
2. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
3. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
5. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
2. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
3. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
4. What is Teiresias referring to when he says Oedipus and his children will be "equals"?
5. How does Teiresias feel about having come to see Oedipus at the king's request?
6. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
7. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
8. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
9. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
10. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)