|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the name of the murderer
(b) the power of prophecy
(c) the family he's come from
(d) the true wishes of the gods
2. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but not in spirit
(b) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(c) that he is rich but will be poor
(d) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
4. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's both good and bad news.
(b) It's good news.
(c) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(d) It's bad news.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
2. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
5. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
2. How does Oedipus respond to the townspeople's pleas for help?
3. What does Oedipus wish for any townspeople who don't obey his orders?
4. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
5. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
6. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
7. What does the priest appeal to in asking Oedipus to save the city?
8. Why doesn't Oedipus listen to Teiresias?
9. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
10. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)