Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(b) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(c) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(d) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
(b) He asks why Creon is so late.
(c) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(d) He asks what message the gods sent.
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(d) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
(a) setting the Sphinx upon Thebes
(b) trying to overthrow him for the sake of power and riches
(c) killing Laius and causing the plagues
(d) wanting to marry Jocasta himself
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
2. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
3. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
4. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
5. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chorus' attitude toward Oedipus, in his conflict with Creon?
2. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
3. How does Jocasta react to the messenger's news?
4. What favor did Jocasta do for the person who told her about Laius' death?
5. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
6. Explain the irony of Teiresias' blindness.
7. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
8. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
9. What does Oedipus say when he hears Creon is approaching?
10. Which of his sins does Oedipus believe is the worst?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)