|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
(a) that he can see but not the past
(b) that he can see but not himself
(c) that he can see but not the future
(d) that he can see but will be blind
2. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(b) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(c) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
3. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(b) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(d) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
4. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) a plague on the crops
(b) a war with Corinth
(c) a storm that destroyed the town
(d) trouble with the Sphinx
5. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(b) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(c) He says the people will never get salvation.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
2. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
3. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
4. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
5. What does the priest call pestilence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
2. Describe how the townspeople view Oedipus.
3. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
4. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
5. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
6. How does Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias change during their first discussion?
7. What does Oedipus promise to do when Creon returns?
8. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
9. Describe Oedipus's attitude toward Creon when Creon returns.
10. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)