|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the name of the murderer
(b) the true wishes of the gods
(c) the family he's come from
(d) the power of prophecy
2. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
3. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(d) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
4. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(b) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(c) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
(d) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
5. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
(a) Oedipus offers to banish the murderer instead of killing him.
(b) Oedipus offers the murderer a place in Corinth in exchange for banishment from Thebes.
(c) Oedipus offers the murderer his choice of death or banishment.
(d) Oedipus offers to limit the murderer's banishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
2. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
4. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
5. Who does the priest say has gathered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
2. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
3. How does Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias change during their first discussion?
4. What reason does Teiresias give for coming to see Oedipus?
5. How does Oedipus respond to the townspeople's pleas for help?
6. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
7. Why doesn't Oedipus listen to Teiresias?
8. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
9. Explain the irony of Teiresias' blindness.
10. Describe Oedipus's attitude toward Creon when Creon returns.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)