|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(b) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(c) He does not believe his own visions.
(d) He isn't sure about what he knows.
2. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
3. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They all ran away.
(b) They were all killed.
(c) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(d) The king was alone.
4. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will ignore them
(b) that the murderer will laugh at them
(c) that the murderer will take them seriously
(d) that the murderer will make fun of them
5. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) a life of solitude and sobriety
(b) to be ripped from his land and family
(c) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(d) eternal damnation
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
2. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
4. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
5. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oedipus's attitude toward Creon when Creon returns.
2. How does Oedipus respond to the townspeople's pleas for help?
3. How does Teiresias feel about having come to see Oedipus at the king's request?
4. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
5. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
6. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
7. What does the priest appeal to in asking Oedipus to save the city?
8. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
9. What is the attitude of the townspeople when they speak to Oedipus?
10. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)