|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(b) It is a blessing and a curse.
(c) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(d) It brings no benefits.
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but not in spirit
(b) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(c) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(d) that he is rich but will be poor
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
(a) Oedipus says that the town is actively covering up the murder.
(b) Oedipus says he understands that the town had other problems.
(c) Oedipus says that the town knew it was bringing tragedy upon itself.
(d) Oedipus says the town should have looked into the murder.
4. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
5. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
2. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
3. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
5. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Oedipus is questioning Creon, why does he ask Creon how long it's been since Laius was killed?
2. What does Oedipus say, when he finally finds out the truth about his past and his present situation?
3. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
4. What does Oedipus say about the sight of his children?
5. What does the old shepherd say was his motive in giving the infant to the messenger, when they were both shepherds together?
6. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
7. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
8. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
9. What does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of, that finally forces the prophet's tongue?
10. What is Jocasta's response, when Oedipus wants to find and question the shepherd that the messenger said gave him the infant Oedipus?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)