|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(b) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(c) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(d) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
2. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it will be an easy task.
(b) He says it is fitting.
(c) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(d) He says it is too late for revenge.
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' creations
(b) his children
(c) the gods' children
(d) his creations
4. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Corinth
(b) in Thebes
(c) on the nearby mountain
(d) hiding in the countryside
5. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
2. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
3. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
4. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
5. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor does the chorus leader remind Oedipus of?
2. What does Oedipus wish for any townspeople who don't obey his orders?
3. How does Creon seem to react to Oedipus leveling charges against him?
4. What does Oedipus wish on the murderer?
5. What does the priest appeal to in asking Oedipus to save the city?
6. After Jocasta exits, when Oedipus is intent on finding out his true identity, how does the chorus feel about Oedipus' search?
7. Why are the people of Thebes reluctant to think Oedipus guilty of a crime?
8. How does Jocasta feel about Polybus' death?
9. What is the chorus' initial opinion about Oedipus's act of blinding himself?
10. Describe how the townspeople view Oedipus.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)