|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the young and hearty townspeople
(b) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(c) everyone but those ill from disease
(d) all the sick and elderly townspeople
2. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
3. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(c) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
4. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
(a) that he can see but not the past
(b) that he can see but not the future
(c) that he can see but will be blind
(d) that he can see but not himself
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to Apollo's shrine
(b) to the kingdom of Corinth
(c) to Zeus's oracle
(d) to wander the wilderness
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
2. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
3. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
4. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
5. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias change during their first discussion?
2. What reason does Teiresias give for coming to see Oedipus?
3. Why doesn't Oedipus listen to Teiresias?
4. Describe what the people of Thebes have with them at the beginning of the play.
5. What troubles have affected the people of Thebes?
6. Why doesn't Creon immediately tell Oedipus his news?
7. What reason does Oedipus give for coming himself to see the crowd of people who have gathered at the beginning of the play?
8. Why is Oedipus concerned about Creon at the beginning of the play?
9. Why does Oedipus offer a deal to the murderer and set rules for the people of Thebes?
10. Describe the message that Creon brings from the oracle.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)