|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) question his sister Jocasta
(b) look inside his own heart
(c) speak with Teiresias again
(d) talk to the oracle at Delphi
2. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his knees
(b) his elbows
(c) his ankles
(d) his wrists
3. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(b) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(c) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(d) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
4. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(a) the chorus
(c) the messenger
5. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(c) the local prophet
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
6. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(b) the oracle
7. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) in a river
(b) in a field
(c) in the ocean
(d) on a mountain
8. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
(b) being power hungry and greedy
(c) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(d) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
9. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Oedipus' home
(b) where to find Jocasta
(c) where to find Creon's home
(d) where to find Teiresias
10. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll join Laius
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll never speak again
(d) that she'll never see Thebes again
11. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) what Polybus said before his death
(b) what the cause of his death was
(c) whether his mother knows of the death
(d) what time of day he died
12. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(b) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(c) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(d) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
13. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was big and had white hair.
(b) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(c) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(d) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
14. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(b) where two roads cross a stream
(c) at the kingdom's border
(d) where three roads meet
15. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(c) three of the injured men
(d) a servant who escaped
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
2. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
3. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
4. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
5. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)