|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
(b) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
(c) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
(d) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
2. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be outcast among the people.
(b) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(c) He'll die.
(d) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
3. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was big and had white hair.
(b) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(c) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(d) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
4. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
(b) Oedipus should resign as king.
(c) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(d) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
5. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(c) a servant who escaped
(d) three of the injured men
6. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(b) no one
(c) a priest of Apollo
(d) servants of Oedipus
7. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(b) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(c) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(d) whether Oedipus killed Laius
8. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) wedding his mother
(b) the plague on the land
(c) the wrath of Apollo
(d) Creon's treachery
9. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(b) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(c) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(d) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
10. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's Polybus' son after all
(b) that he's not born of natural parents
(c) that he's older than they believed
(d) that he's of low social status
11. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(b) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(c) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
12. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) gain wealth
(b) rule as king
(c) hurt his sister
(d) mar Teiresias's reputation
13. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in Laius' house
(b) in a distant village
(c) in a poor house in Thebes
(d) in Corinth
14. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll join Laius
(b) that she'll never speak again
(c) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(d) that she'll never see Thebes again
15. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(b) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
Short Answer Questions
1. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
2. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
3. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
4. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
5. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)