|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(c) the local prophet
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
2. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his knees
(b) his elbows
(c) his wrists
(d) his ankles
3. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(b) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(c) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(d) They told Oedipus that it was true.
4. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) war with Corinth
(b) Oedipus' exile or death
(c) destruction of Thebes
(d) Creon becoming a tyrannt
5. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(c) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
6. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) what time of day he died
(b) what the cause of his death was
(c) whether his mother knows of the death
(d) what Polybus said before his death
7. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(b) the oracle
8. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll join Laius
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll never speak again
(d) that she'll never see Thebes again
9. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(b) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(c) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
(d) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
10. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(b) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(c) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(d) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
11. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(b) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(c) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(d) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
12. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(b) a servant who escaped
(d) three of the injured men
13. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(b) because his mother is still alive
(c) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(d) because the prophets speak for the gods
14. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(b) He'll die.
(c) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(d) He'll be outcast among the people.
15. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
2. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
3. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
4. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
5. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)