|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) sad and regretful
(b) glad and happy
(d) both glad and sad
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(b) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(c) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(d) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his ankles
(b) his wrists
(c) his knees
(d) his elbows
4. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be outcast among the people.
(b) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(c) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(d) He'll die.
5. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
6. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(b) by the banks of a river
(c) on the border of Corinth
(d) on the doorstep of his home
7. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(b) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
(c) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(d) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
8. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
9. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
10. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(b) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(c) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(d) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
11. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(b) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(c) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(d) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
12. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(b) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(c) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(d) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
13. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(b) No, he has never seen the old man.
(c) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(d) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
14. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Creon is being framed.
(b) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(c) Oedipus was angry.
(d) Creon was guilty.
15. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
(a) a son who died
(b) a daughter who died
(c) a son who was stolen away
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
2. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
3. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
4. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
5. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)