|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(b) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(c) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(d) whether Oedipus killed Laius
2. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) send Creon away instead of killing him
3. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(a) a stranger
(b) the messenger
4. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(b) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(c) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(d) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
5. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) no one
(b) servants of Oedipus
(d) a priest of Apollo
6. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(b) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(c) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(d) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
7. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(b) glad and happy
(c) sad and regretful
(d) both glad and sad
8. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) power and benefits without fear
(b) fear and power but no freedom
(c) freedom from fear but no power
(d) royal benefits but no freedom
9. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
10. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(b) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(d) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
11. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(b) He'll be outcast among the people.
(c) He'll die.
(d) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
12. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) on a mountain
(b) in a field
(c) in the ocean
(d) in a river
13. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) into the mountains of Thebes
(b) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
(c) away from both Thebes and Corinth
(d) back to Corinth
14. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a garland and incense
(b) her youngest child
(c) a gift from Teiresias
(d) a scarlet cape
15. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(b) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(c) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
3. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)