|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(b) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(c) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(d) the state of the farms and the townspeople
2. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(b) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(c) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(d) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
3. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(b) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(c) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(d) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
4. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
(a) nine months
(b) six months
(c) three months
(d) one month
5. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(b) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(c) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(d) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
6. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(b) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
7. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) destruction of Thebes
(b) war with Corinth
(c) Creon becoming a tyrannt
(d) Oedipus' exile or death
8. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(a) the messenger
(c) the chorus leader
9. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(b) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
(c) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(d) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
10. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) the local prophet
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
11. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
(b) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
(c) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
(d) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
12. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(b) Laius's servant
(c) Jocasta's maid
13. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(d) They were angry, calling it an insult.
14. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his wrists
(b) his elbows
(c) his knees
(d) his ankles
15. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) on the doorstep of his home
(b) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(c) on the border of Corinth
(d) by the banks of a river
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say his current position brings?
2. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
3. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
4. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
5. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)