|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(a) the gods
2. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
(b) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
(c) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
(d) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
3. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) back to Corinth
(b) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
(c) into the mountains of Thebes
(d) away from both Thebes and Corinth
4. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(b) the messenger
(d) the chorus leader
5. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(b) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(c) No, he has never seen the old man.
(d) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
6. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a gift from Teiresias
(b) her youngest child
(c) a scarlet cape
(d) a garland and incense
7. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) the local prophet
(b) a drunk man at a dinner
(c) a stranger passng through the town
(d) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
8. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) both glad and sad
(b) glad and happy
(c) sad and regretful
9. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
10. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
11. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(b) like children who see their father's fear
(c) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(d) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
12. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(b) because the prophets speak for the gods
(c) because his mother is still alive
(d) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
13. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(c) Laius's servant
(d) Jocasta's maid
14. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
(b) Oedipus should resign as king.
(c) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(d) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
15. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Creon is being framed.
(b) Oedipus was angry.
(c) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(d) Creon was guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
2. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
4. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)