|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(b) the gods
2. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(b) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(c) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(d) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
3. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(b) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(c) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
(d) like children who see their father's fear
4. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) whether his mother knows of the death
(b) what the cause of his death was
(c) what Polybus said before his death
(d) what time of day he died
5. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) at the kingdom's border
(c) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(d) where two roads cross a stream
6. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(b) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(c) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(d) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
7. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(b) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(c) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(d) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
8. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
(b) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(c) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(d) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
9. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(b) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(c) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(d) They were angry, calling it an insult.
10. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(b) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(c) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
11. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for her own safety
(b) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(c) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
12. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(c) the messenger
(d) the chorus
13. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) by the banks of a river
(b) on the doorstep of his home
(c) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(d) on the border of Corinth
14. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(d) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
15. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because his mother is still alive
(b) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(c) because the prophets speak for the gods
(d) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
3. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
4. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
5. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)