|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) Creon becoming a tyrannt
(b) destruction of Thebes
(c) war with Corinth
(d) Oedipus' exile or death
2. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(b) Laius was big and had white hair.
(c) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(d) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
3. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(b) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(c) because the prophets speak for the gods
(d) because his mother is still alive
4. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
(a) cut Creon's throat then and there
(b) arrest Creon and sentence him to death
(c) banish Creon from the kingdom forever
(d) kill Creon before his sister's eyes
5. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(b) flees the city of Thebes
(c) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(d) talks to the people of Thebes
6. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in a poor house in Thebes
(b) in Laius' house
(c) in Corinth
(d) in a distant village
7. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
(b) how long Teiresias has been blind
(c) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(d) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
8. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(b) a stranger
(c) the messenger
9. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(b) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(d) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
10. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(b) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(c) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
11. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(b) on the border of Corinth
(c) on the doorstep of his home
(d) by the banks of a river
12. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
(a) three months
(b) six months
(c) one month
(d) nine months
13. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(b) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(c) send Creon away instead of killing him
(d) make her responsible for Creon
14. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(b) where three roads meet
(c) where two roads cross a stream
(d) at the kingdom's border
15. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) not listening to each other
(b) fighting when the town's in trouble
(c) making the gods upset
(d) not listening to the oracle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
2. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
3. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
4. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
5. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)