|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(a) the oracle
2. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(b) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
(c) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
(d) Oedipus should resign as king.
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his ankles
(b) his wrists
(c) his elbows
(d) his knees
4. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(b) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
(c) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(d) how long Teiresias has been blind
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in Laius' house
(b) in a poor house in Thebes
(c) in a distant village
(d) in Corinth
6. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
7. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(b) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(c) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(d) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
8. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
(b) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
(c) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(d) being power hungry and greedy
9. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) no one
(b) servants of Oedipus
(c) a priest of Apollo
10. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(d) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
11. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(b) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(c) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
(d) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
12. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Creon
(b) having met Jocasta
(c) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(d) not seeing his parents
13. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
14. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) at the kingdom's border
(b) where three roads meet
(c) where two roads cross a stream
(d) where the flatlands begin to become steep
15. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(a) the oracle
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
2. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
3. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
4. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)