|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Jocasta
(b) not seeing his parents
(c) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(d) having met Creon
2. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) no one
(b) five men, including a herald
(c) fifteen of the best men
(d) ten heralds
3. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) gain wealth
(b) hurt his sister
(c) rule as king
(d) mar Teiresias's reputation
4. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) the wrath of Apollo
(b) Creon's treachery
(c) the plague on the land
(d) wedding his mother
5. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Creon's home
(b) where to find Oedipus' home
(c) where to find Jocasta
(d) where to find Teiresias
6. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(c) Laius's servant
(d) Jocasta's maid
7. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(b) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(c) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(d) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
8. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) no one
(b) servants of Oedipus
(c) a priest of Apollo
9. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
10. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) in a field
(b) in the ocean
(c) in a river
(d) on a mountain
11. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
12. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(b) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(d) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
13. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(b) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(c) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(d) No, he has never seen the old man.
14. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(b) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(c) because his mother is still alive
(d) because the prophets speak for the gods
15. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for her own safety
(b) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(c) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
(d) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
Short Answer Questions
1. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
2. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
3. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
4. What does Creon say his current position brings?
5. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)