|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never see Thebes again
(b) that she'll join Laius
(c) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(d) that she'll never speak again
2. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(b) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(c) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(d) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
3. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(b) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(c) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(d) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
4. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a gift from Teiresias
(b) a garland and incense
(c) her youngest child
(d) a scarlet cape
5. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(b) where two roads cross a stream
(c) where three roads meet
(d) at the kingdom's border
6. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(d) the oracle
7. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(b) both glad and sad
(c) sad and regretful
(d) glad and happy
8. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(a) the chorus leader
(c) the messenger
9. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
10. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(b) flees the city of Thebes
(c) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(d) talks to the people of Thebes
11. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
(b) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(c) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(d) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
12. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) power and benefits without fear
(b) freedom from fear but no power
(c) royal benefits but no freedom
(d) fear and power but no freedom
13. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
(b) like children who see their father's fear
(c) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(d) like soldiers who see their commander slain
14. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(d) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
15. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophets speak for the gods
(b) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(c) because his mother is still alive
(d) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
2. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
3. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
4. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
5. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)