|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(b) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(c) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(d) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
2. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) the wrath of Apollo
(b) wedding his mother
(c) the plague on the land
(d) Creon's treachery
3. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
4. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) her youngest child
(b) a scarlet cape
(c) a gift from Teiresias
(d) a garland and incense
5. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) servants of Oedipus
(b) a priest of Apollo
(c) no one
6. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) No, he has never seen the old man.
(b) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(c) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(d) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
7. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's Polybus' son after all
(b) that he's not born of natural parents
(c) that he's of low social status
(d) that he's older than they believed
8. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(b) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(c) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(d) Laius was big and had white hair.
9. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be outcast among the people.
(b) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(c) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(d) He'll die.
10. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) by the banks of a river
(b) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(c) on the border of Corinth
(d) on the doorstep of his home
11. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
(a) a son who died
(b) a daughter who died
(d) a son who was stolen away
12. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(b) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(c) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(d) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
13. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(b) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(c) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(d) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
14. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) fighting when the town's in trouble
(b) not listening to the oracle
(c) making the gods upset
(d) not listening to each other
15. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(b) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(c) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
2. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
3. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
4. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
5. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)