|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(b) because his mother is still alive
(c) because the prophets speak for the gods
(d) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
2. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where two roads cross a stream
(b) at the kingdom's border
(c) where three roads meet
(d) where the flatlands begin to become steep
3. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) the local prophet
(b) a stranger passng through the town
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
4. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) wedding his mother
(b) the wrath of Apollo
(c) Creon's treachery
(d) the plague on the land
5. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(b) having met Jocasta
(c) not seeing his parents
(d) having met Creon
6. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(b) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(c) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
(d) like children who see their father's fear
7. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(a) three of the injured men
(c) a servant who escaped
8. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) flees the city of Thebes
(b) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(c) talks to the people of Thebes
(d) challenges Oedipus to a fight
9. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his ankles
(b) his wrists
(c) his knees
(d) his elbows
10. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(b) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(c) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(d) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
11. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
12. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(b) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(c) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(d) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
13. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) destruction of Thebes
(b) war with Corinth
(c) Oedipus' exile or death
(d) Creon becoming a tyrannt
14. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) send Creon away instead of killing him
15. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) servants of Oedipus
(c) a priest of Apollo
(d) no one
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
2. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
3. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
4. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
5. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)