|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(b) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(c) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(d) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
2. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Teiresias
(b) where to find Oedipus' home
(c) where to find Creon's home
(d) where to find Jocasta
3. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(b) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(c) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(d) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
4. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) mar Teiresias's reputation
(b) rule as king
(c) gain wealth
(d) hurt his sister
5. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(b) the oracle
6. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(b) a servant who escaped
(d) three of the injured men
7. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(b) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
(c) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(d) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
8. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus should resign as king.
(b) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(c) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
(d) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
9. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
(b) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
(c) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
(d) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
10. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(b) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(c) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(d) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
11. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
12. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) the local prophet
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
13. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(b) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(c) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
14. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) at the kingdom's border
(b) where three roads meet
(c) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(d) where two roads cross a stream
15. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in Corinth
(b) in Laius' house
(c) in a distant village
(d) in a poor house in Thebes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
2. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
3. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
4. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
5. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)