|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' shepherds
(b) one of Laius' soldiers
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) Jocasta's young maid
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) mar Teiresias's reputation
(b) gain wealth
(c) hurt his sister
(d) rule as king
3. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(b) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(c) No, he has never seen the old man.
(d) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
4. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(b) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(c) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
5. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(b) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(c) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(d) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
6. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(c) the chorus leader
(d) the messenger
7. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) no one
(b) five men, including a herald
(c) ten heralds
(d) fifteen of the best men
8. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(b) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(c) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(d) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
9. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(b) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(c) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(d) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
10. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) on a mountain
(b) in a field
(c) in the ocean
(d) in a river
11. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
12. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(b) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(c) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(d) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
13. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) send Creon away instead of killing him
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) trust that Creon is telling the truth
(d) make her responsible for Creon
14. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(b) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(c) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(d) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
15. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) not listening to each other
(b) fighting when the town's in trouble
(c) not listening to the oracle
(d) making the gods upset
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
3. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)