|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(b) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(c) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(d) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
2. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(d) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
3. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) at the kingdom's border
(c) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(d) where two roads cross a stream
4. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
5. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) send Creon away instead of killing him
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) trust that Creon is telling the truth
6. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(d) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
7. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) five men, including a herald
(b) fifteen of the best men
(c) ten heralds
(d) no one
8. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(d) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
9. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(a) the messenger
(c) the chorus leader
10. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(c) a drunk man at a dinner
(d) the local prophet
11. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(b) He'll die.
(c) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(d) He'll be outcast among the people.
12. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(b) that she'll join Laius
(c) that she'll never see Thebes again
(d) that she'll never speak again
13. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(b) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(c) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(d) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
14. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(b) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(c) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(d) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
15. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(c) a stranger
(d) the messenger
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
2. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
3. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
4. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
5. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)