|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(b) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(c) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(d) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
2. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) freedom from fear but no power
(b) power and benefits without fear
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) royal benefits but no freedom
3. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(b) because the prophets speak for the gods
(c) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(d) because his mother is still alive
4. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(b) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
(c) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(d) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
5. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(b) a priest of Apollo
(c) no one
(d) servants of Oedipus
6. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
7. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) No, he has never seen the old man.
(b) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(c) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(d) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
8. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
9. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(b) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(c) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(d) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
10. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(b) sad and regretful
(c) glad and happy
(d) both glad and sad
11. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll die.
(b) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(c) He'll be outcast among the people.
(d) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
12. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) the wrath of Apollo
(b) Creon's treachery
(c) wedding his mother
(d) the plague on the land
13. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(a) the messenger
(b) the chorus
14. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) by the banks of a river
(b) on the border of Corinth
(c) on the doorstep of his home
(d) in the valleys of Clithaeron
15. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(b) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(c) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
2. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
3. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
4. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
5. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)