|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
(a) where to find Creon's home
(b) where to find Oedipus' home
(c) where to find Teiresias
(d) where to find Jocasta
2. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never speak again
(b) that she'll never see Thebes again
(c) that she'll join Laius
(d) that she'll run away from Oedipus
3. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
4. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(a) Laius's servant
(b) Jocasta's maid
5. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) war with Corinth
(b) destruction of Thebes
(c) Oedipus' exile or death
(d) Creon becoming a tyrannt
6. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) rule as king
(b) hurt his sister
(c) gain wealth
(d) mar Teiresias's reputation
7. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) no one
(c) servants of Oedipus
(d) a priest of Apollo
8. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(b) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(c) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(d) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
9. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) speak with Teiresias again
(b) question his sister Jocasta
(c) talk to the oracle at Delphi
(d) look inside his own heart
10. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
11. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his elbows
(b) his knees
(c) his ankles
(d) his wrists
12. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(b) Creon is being framed.
(c) Creon was guilty.
(d) Oedipus was angry.
13. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(c) at the kingdom's border
(d) where two roads cross a stream
14. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in a poor house in Thebes
(b) in Corinth
(c) in a distant village
(d) in Laius' house
15. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
(b) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(c) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(d) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
3. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
4. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
5. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)