|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
2. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(a) the chorus leader
(d) the messenger
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his wrists
(b) his ankles
(c) his elbows
(d) his knees
4. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
5. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(b) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(c) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(d) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
6. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Creon
(b) having met Jocasta
(c) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(d) not seeing his parents
7. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
(a) no one
(b) a priest of Apollo
(c) servants of Oedipus
8. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(b) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(c) the state of the farms and the townspeople
(d) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
9. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) Oedipus' exile or death
(b) Creon becoming a tyrannt
(c) war with Corinth
(d) destruction of Thebes
10. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(b) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(c) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
(d) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
11. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(b) the oracle
12. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
(b) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(c) how long Teiresias has been blind
(d) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
13. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
(b) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(c) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(d) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
14. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
(a) three months
(b) six months
(c) nine months
(d) one month
15. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) making the gods upset
(b) not listening to each other
(c) not listening to the oracle
(d) fighting when the town's in trouble
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
2. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
3. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
4. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
5. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)