|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(b) Laius was big and had white hair.
(c) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(d) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
2. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
(a) a servant who escaped
(b) three of the injured men
3. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
(b) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(c) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(d) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
4. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(b) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(c) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(d) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) power and benefits without fear
(c) freedom from fear but no power
(d) fear and power but no freedom
6. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his knees
(b) his elbows
(c) his ankles
(d) his wrists
7. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) in the ocean
(b) in a field
(c) in a river
(d) on a mountain
8. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
9. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(a) a stranger
(c) the messenger
10. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(b) to ask for her own safety
(c) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
11. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(b) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
12. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
(b) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(c) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(d) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
13. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll join Laius
(b) that she'll run away from Oedipus
(c) that she'll never speak again
(d) that she'll never see Thebes again
14. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) mar Teiresias's reputation
(b) gain wealth
(c) rule as king
(d) hurt his sister
15. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) Yes, Oedipus wants to question the person to find the truth.
(b) No, Oedipus is afraid of what the person might say.
(c) Yes, Oedipus wants to send the person out of town.
(d) No, Oedipus doesn't think the person is important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
2. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
3. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
4. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
5. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)