|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(b) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
2. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) what the cause of his death was
(b) what Polybus said before his death
(c) whether his mother knows of the death
(d) what time of day he died
3. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
(b) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
(c) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(d) being power hungry and greedy
4. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) glad and happy
(b) both glad and sad
(d) sad and regretful
5. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(b) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(c) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(d) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
6. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) the wrath of Apollo
(b) the plague on the land
(c) Creon's treachery
(d) wedding his mother
7. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
8. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
(a) Jocasta's maid
(c) Laius's servant
9. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) send Creon away instead of killing him
(b) make her responsible for Creon
(c) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(d) trust that Creon is telling the truth
10. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) not listening to each other
(b) not listening to the oracle
(c) fighting when the town's in trouble
(d) making the gods upset
11. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' shepherds
(b) Jocasta's young maid
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) one of Laius' soldiers
12. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(b) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(c) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(d) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
13. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) at the kingdom's border
(c) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(d) where two roads cross a stream
14. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) Creon becoming a tyrannt
(b) destruction of Thebes
(c) war with Corinth
(d) Oedipus' exile or death
15. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
2. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
3. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
4. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)