|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) war with Corinth
(b) destruction of Thebes
(c) Oedipus' exile or death
(d) Creon becoming a tyrannt
2. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
(b) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(c) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(d) how long Teiresias has been blind
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) fear and power but no freedom
(b) freedom from fear but no power
(c) royal benefits but no freedom
(d) power and benefits without fear
4. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
(a) Yes, the messenger identifies him easily.
(b) No, the messenger knows it's him but won't identify him.
(c) Yes, but the messenger must question the shepherd before being certain.
(d) No, the messenger doesn't think he's the same man.
5. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Jocasta
(b) having met Creon
(c) not seeing his parents
(d) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
6. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(b) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(c) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(d) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
7. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like children who see their father's fear
(b) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(c) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
(d) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
8. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(b) on the border of Corinth
(c) on the doorstep of his home
(d) by the banks of a river
9. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(b) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(c) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(d) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
10. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) the local prophet
(c) a drunk man at a dinner
(d) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
11. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Creon was guilty.
(b) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(c) Creon is being framed.
(d) Oedipus was angry.
12. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) the plague on the land
(b) Creon's treachery
(c) wedding his mother
(d) the wrath of Apollo
13. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(b) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(c) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(d) the state of the farms and the townspeople
14. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(d) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
15. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(b) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(c) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
3. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
4. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
5. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)