|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(b) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(c) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(d) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(b) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(c) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(d) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) power and benefits without fear
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) freedom from fear but no power
4. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(b) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(c) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(d) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) Jocasta's young maid
(b) one of Laius' soldiers
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) one of Laius' shepherds
6. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(b) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(c) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
7. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(b) Laius was big and had white hair.
(c) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(d) Laius was small with a gray beard.
8. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) on a mountain
(b) in a river
(c) in the ocean
(d) in a field
9. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) whether his mother knows of the death
(b) what Polybus said before his death
(c) what the cause of his death was
(d) what time of day he died
10. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(b) not seeing his parents
(c) having met Jocasta
(d) having met Creon
11. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) a drunk man at a dinner
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) the local prophet
12. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) mar Teiresias's reputation
(b) gain wealth
(c) hurt his sister
(d) rule as king
13. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(b) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(c) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(d) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
14. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for her own safety
(b) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
(c) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(d) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
15. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(b) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(c) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(d) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
2. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
3. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
4. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
5. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)