Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophets speak for the gods
(b) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(c) because his mother is still alive
(d) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
2. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(c) the messenger
(d) the chorus leader
3. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(c) the oracle
4. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) fear and power but no freedom
(c) power and benefits without fear
(d) freedom from fear but no power
6. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) into the mountains of Thebes
(b) back to Corinth
(c) away from both Thebes and Corinth
(d) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
7. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(b) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(c) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(d) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
8. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a gift from Teiresias
(b) a scarlet cape
(c) a garland and incense
(d) her youngest child
9. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
10. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(a) the chorus
(b) the messenger
11. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never see Thebes again
(b) that she'll never speak again
(c) that she'll join Laius
(d) that she'll run away from Oedipus
12. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(c) at the kingdom's border
(d) where two roads cross a stream
13. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(b) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
(c) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(d) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
14. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
15. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(b) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
3. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
4. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
5. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)