|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
(b) the oracle
2. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(b) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(c) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(d) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
3. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
4. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(b) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(c) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(d) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
(b) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(c) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(d) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
6. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
(b) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(c) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
(d) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
7. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(b) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(c) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(d) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
8. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a hood
(b) a chain of daisies
(c) a laurel wreath
(d) a crown
9. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(b) not talking with Creon
(c) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(d) not talking with Jocasta
10. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
11. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They were all killed.
(b) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(c) The king was alone.
(d) They all ran away.
12. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a thundering beast
(b) a sinister snake
(c) a roaring lion
(d) a fiery god
13. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) his powers
(b) the gods
(c) the truth
14. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a band of soldiers
(b) a lone traveller
(c) a man with the power of a god
(d) a gang of robbers
15. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(b) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(c) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
2. Who does the priest say has gathered?
3. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
4. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
5. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)