|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not talking with Creon
(b) not talking with Jocasta
(c) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(d) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) The king was alone.
(b) They all ran away.
(c) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(d) They were all killed.
3. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
4. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks what message the gods sent.
(b) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(c) He asks why Creon is so late.
(d) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
5. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
(c) the gods
(d) Oedipus' parents
6. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
7. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a gang of robbers
(c) a band of soldiers
(d) a man with the power of a god
8. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(b) to be ripped from his land and family
(c) eternal damnation
(d) a life of solitude and sobriety
9. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the name of the murderer
(b) the family he's come from
(c) the power of prophecy
(d) the true wishes of the gods
10. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(b) the gods
(c) the truth
(d) his powers
11. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(b) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(c) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(d) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
12. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the young and hearty townspeople
(b) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(c) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(d) everyone but those ill from disease
13. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) angry and annoyed
(b) caring and helpful
(c) critical and derisive
(d) overjoyed and cheerful
14. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(b) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(c) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(d) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
15. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) an unavenged murder
(b) an unfulfilled prophecy
(c) a fight between protecting gods
(d) a slight to the gods
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
2. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
5. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)