|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) financial help from Thebes
(b) a dictate from a prophet
(c) a promise of reward from Corinth
(d) a dictate from a god
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(b) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(c) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(d) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
3. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
(a) that he doesn't want to know who the murderer is
(b) that he is not the murderer and doesn't know who the murderer is
(c) that the murderer likely had nothing to do with Thebes
(d) that he suspects who the murderer is but doesn't know
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(c) no relation
5. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
6. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(b) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(c) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
(d) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
7. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(b) not talking with Jocasta
(c) not talking with Creon
(d) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
8. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a desert
(b) a mountain
(c) a forest
(d) an ocean
9. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people will never get salvation.
(b) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
10. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will make fun of them
(b) that the murderer will ignore them
(c) that the murderer will laugh at them
(d) that the murderer will take them seriously
11. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(b) that he is an Athenian
(c) that he comes from no nation
(d) that he is a Corinthian
12. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's the first among men
(c) because he's a god to the town
(d) because he's got the power of wealth
13. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Thebes
(b) in Corinth
(c) on the nearby mountain
(d) hiding in the countryside
14. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(c) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
15. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
2. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
3. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
5. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)