|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(b) He asks why Creon is so late.
(c) He asks what message the gods sent.
(d) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' creations
(b) his children
(c) the gods' children
(d) his creations
4. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) their suppliant branches
(b) the news to the outlying farms
(d) pity on him in his misery
5. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
6. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(b) not talking with Creon
(c) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(d) not talking with Jocasta
7. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a laurel wreath
(b) a chain of daisies
(c) a crown
(d) a hood
8. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(b) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(c) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(d) that life is a riddle
9. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) at home, caring for the sick
(c) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(d) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
10. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(b) his powers
(c) the truth
(d) the gods
11. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's a god to the town
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's the first among men
12. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
(a) repeat what he's said
(b) leave Thebes immediately
(c) fight him
(d) fall on his knees and pray
13. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) an ocean
(b) a desert
(c) a forest
(d) a mountain
14. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) eternal damnation
(b) a life of solitude and sobriety
(c) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(d) to be ripped from his land and family
15. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Oedipus is against him.
(b) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(c) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(d) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
2. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
3. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
4. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)