|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) a plague on the crops
(b) a storm that destroyed the town
(c) a war with Corinth
(d) trouble with the Sphinx
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(b) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(c) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(d) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
3. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) the truth
(b) his powers
(c) the gods
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(b) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(c) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(d) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
5. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(c) the chorus leader
(d) a small boy
6. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
(a) in front of the palace
(b) in a shrine
(c) in the forest
(d) at the oracle
7. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
(a) that he suspects who the murderer is but doesn't know
(b) that he doesn't want to know who the murderer is
(c) that the murderer likely had nothing to do with Thebes
(d) that he is not the murderer and doesn't know who the murderer is
8. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
(c) Oedipus' parents
(d) the gods
9. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(b) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(c) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(d) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
10. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(b) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(c) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(d) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
11. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
12. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
13. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) talk or gossip about the murder
(b) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(c) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(d) leave the town until the murderer is found
14. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(b) He says the people will never get salvation.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
15. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will laugh at them
(b) that the murderer will take them seriously
(c) that the murderer will ignore them
(d) that the murderer will make fun of them
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
3. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
5. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)