|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
(a) repeat what he's said
(b) leave Thebes immediately
(c) fight him
(d) fall on his knees and pray
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a gang of robbers
(b) a lone traveller
(c) a man with the power of a god
(d) a band of soldiers
3. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(b) He asks what message the gods sent.
(c) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
(d) He asks why Creon is so late.
4. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(b) not talking with Jocasta
(c) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(d) not talking with Creon
5. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(b) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(d) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
6. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's got the power of wealth
(b) because he's the one they all blame
(c) because he's the first among men
(d) because he's a god to the town
7. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
(a) Oedipus' parents
(c) the gods
8. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) a storm that destroyed the town
(b) a plague on the crops
(c) trouble with the Sphinx
(d) a war with Corinth
9. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to Zeus's oracle
(b) to wander the wilderness
(c) to Apollo's shrine
(d) to the kingdom of Corinth
10. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
11. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
12. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a god
(b) a dictate from a prophet
(c) a promise of reward from Corinth
(d) financial help from Thebes
13. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) eternal damnation
(b) a life of solitude and sobriety
(c) to be ripped from his land and family
(d) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
14. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(c) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(d) at home, caring for the sick
15. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(a) a small boy
(b) the chorus leader
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
2. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
5. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)