|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
2. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a promise of reward from Corinth
(b) financial help from Thebes
(c) a dictate from a prophet
(d) a dictate from a god
3. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(b) that life is a riddle
(c) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(d) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
4. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(b) They can be stopped by his silence.
(c) He cannot change them.
(d) They are for the best.
5. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
(d) the oracle
6. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to Apollo's shrine
(b) to wander the wilderness
(c) to the kingdom of Corinth
(d) to Zeus's oracle
7. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(b) Oedipus is against him.
(c) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(d) The ire of the city is rising against him.
8. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) talk or gossip about the murder
(b) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(c) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(d) leave the town until the murderer is found
9. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his creations
(b) his children
(c) the gods' creations
(d) the gods' children
10. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not talking with Jocasta
(b) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(c) not talking with Creon
(d) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
11. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
12. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
(b) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(c) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(d) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
13. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
(a) that he can see but will be blind
(b) that he can see but not himself
(c) that he can see but not the future
(d) that he can see but not the past
14. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They all ran away.
(b) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(c) The king was alone.
(d) They were all killed.
15. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) consult the prophet Teiresias
(b) send another emissary to Delphi
(c) search every house in the city
(d) look inside his own palace
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
5. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)