|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks what message the gods sent.
(b) He asks why Creon is so late.
(c) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
(d) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
2. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(b) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(c) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(d) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
3. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(b) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(c) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(d) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
4. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to the kingdom of Corinth
(b) to wander the wilderness
(c) to Zeus's oracle
(d) to Apollo's shrine
5. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(b) their suppliant branches
(c) pity on him in his misery
(d) the news to the outlying farms
6. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
7. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) the town elders
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) Zeus's oracle
8. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(b) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
9. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a desert
(b) a forest
(c) an ocean
(d) a mountain
10. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
11. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(b) that he is an Athenian
(c) that he is a Corinthian
(d) that he comes from no nation
12. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) The king was alone.
(b) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(c) They were all killed.
(d) They all ran away.
13. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the parliamentary leader
(b) the priest of Zeus
(c) the prophet of Hera
(d) the oracle
14. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(c) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
15. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) angry and annoyed
(b) overjoyed and cheerful
(c) caring and helpful
(d) critical and derisive
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
3. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
4. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
5. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)