|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's got the power of wealth
(b) because he's the first among men
(c) because he's a god to the town
(d) because he's the one they all blame
2. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(b) a small boy
(d) the chorus leader
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(b) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(c) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(d) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
4. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(a) a stranger
(c) the messenger
5. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
(a) wanting to marry Jocasta himself
(b) trying to overthrow him for the sake of power and riches
(c) setting the Sphinx upon Thebes
(d) killing Laius and causing the plagues
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
2. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
4. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
5. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)