|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people will never get salvation.
(b) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(c) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
2. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the parliamentary leader
(c) the priest of Zeus
(d) the prophet of Hera
3. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) on the border of Corinth
(b) on the doorstep of his home
(c) by the banks of a river
(d) in the valleys of Clithaeron
4. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll die.
(b) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(c) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(d) He'll be outcast among the people.
5. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(c) the oracle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
3. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
4. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)