|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(b) not talking with Jocasta
(c) not talking with Creon
(d) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
2. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) not listening to the oracle
(b) making the gods upset
(c) fighting when the town's in trouble
(d) not listening to each other
3. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(a) the chorus
(d) the messenger
4. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) Creon and Jocasta
(b) himself and the people of Thebes
(c) the land and the god Apollo
(d) the gods and the prophets
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
2. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
3. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)