|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(b) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(d) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
2. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(b) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(c) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(d) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They can be stopped by his silence.
(b) He cannot change them.
(c) They are for the best.
(d) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
4. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) angry and annoyed
(c) overjoyed and cheerful
(d) critical and derisive
5. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will laugh at them
(b) that the murderer will make fun of them
(c) that the murderer will ignore them
(d) that the murderer will take them seriously
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
2. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
3. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
5. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)