|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because of Teiresias' age
(b) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
(c) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(d) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(b) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(c) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
3. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) what time of day he died
(b) whether his mother knows of the death
(c) what Polybus said before his death
(d) what the cause of his death was
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(d) no relation
5. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) leave the town until the murderer is found
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) talk or gossip about the murder
(d) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
2. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
3. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
4. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
5. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)