|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(b) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(c) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(d) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
2. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) overjoyed and cheerful
(c) angry and annoyed
(d) critical and derisive
3. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) in a river
(b) in the ocean
(c) in a field
(d) on a mountain
4. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(a) the gods
5. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) No, he has never seen the old man.
(b) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(c) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(d) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
2. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
3. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
4. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
5. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)