|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
(b) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(c) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
(d) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) The king was alone.
(b) They were all killed.
(c) They all ran away.
(d) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
3. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will ignore them
(b) that the murderer will laugh at them
(c) that the murderer will make fun of them
(d) that the murderer will take them seriously
4. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) eternal damnation
(b) to be ripped from his land and family
(c) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(d) a life of solitude and sobriety
5. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
(b) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(c) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
(d) Oedipus should resign as king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
3. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
4. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
5. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)