|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will take them seriously
(b) that the murderer will ignore them
(c) that the murderer will laugh at them
(d) that the murderer will make fun of them
2. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
(a) speak with Teiresias again
(b) talk to the oracle at Delphi
(c) look inside his own heart
(d) question his sister Jocasta
3. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) talk or gossip about the murder
(c) leave the town until the murderer is found
(d) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
4. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the power of prophecy
(b) the family he's come from
(c) the true wishes of the gods
(d) the name of the murderer
5. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is a blessing and a curse.
(b) It brings no benefits.
(c) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(d) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
3. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)