|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(d) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
4. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(b) the gods
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in a poor house in Thebes
(b) in Corinth
(c) in Laius' house
(d) in a distant village
Short Answer Questions
1. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
2. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
4. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
5. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)