|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
2. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a sinister snake
(b) a roaring lion
(c) a thundering beast
(d) a fiery god
3. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) both glad and sad
(c) glad and happy
(d) sad and regretful
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) Zeus's oracle
(b) the gods or wise men
(c) the town elders
(d) the blind prophet
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(b) It's bad news.
(c) It's both good and bad news.
(d) It's good news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
3. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
4. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
5. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)