|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(b) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(c) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(d) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
2. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
(a) both glad and sad
(c) sad and regretful
(d) glad and happy
3. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a sinister snake
(b) a fiery god
(c) a thundering beast
(d) a roaring lion
4. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a god
(b) financial help from Thebes
(c) a dictate from a prophet
(d) a promise of reward from Corinth
5. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(b) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(c) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(d) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
2. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
4. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)