|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a gang of robbers
(d) a band of soldiers
2. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(c) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(d) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
3. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(b) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(c) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(d) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
4. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
(a) in the palace
(b) on an ocean voyage
(c) on the road to Delphi
(d) on the way to visit a nearby shepherd
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) the gods and the prophets
(b) Creon and Jocasta
(c) himself and the people of Thebes
(d) the land and the god Apollo
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
2. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
3. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
4. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
5. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)