|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(b) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(c) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(d) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
2. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
(a) Oedipus says the town should have looked into the murder.
(b) Oedipus says that the town knew it was bringing tragedy upon itself.
(c) Oedipus says he understands that the town had other problems.
(d) Oedipus says that the town is actively covering up the murder.
3. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(d) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people have what they've come for.
(b) He says the people will never get salvation.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
5. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(b) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(c) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(d) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
4. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
5. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)