|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(b) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
2. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
3. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
4. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(c) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's both good and bad news.
(b) It's bad news.
(c) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(d) It's good news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
2. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
4. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)