|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(b) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
(c) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(d) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
2. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a crown
(b) a laurel wreath
(c) a hood
(d) a chain of daisies
3. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(b) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(c) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(d) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
4. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(b) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(c) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(d) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
5. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
(b) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(c) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(d) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
4. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
5. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)