|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) his powers
(b) the gods
(c) the truth
2. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) everyone but those ill from disease
(b) all the young and hearty townspeople
(c) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(d) all the sick and elderly townspeople
3. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(b) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
(c) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(d) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
4. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the first among men
(b) because he's got the power of wealth
(c) because he's the one they all blame
(d) because he's a god to the town
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) freedom from fear but no power
(c) power and benefits without fear
(d) fear and power but no freedom
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
2. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
5. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)