|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will laugh at them
(b) that the murderer will ignore them
(c) that the murderer will make fun of them
(d) that the murderer will take them seriously
2. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people will never get salvation.
(b) He says the people have what they've come for.
(c) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(d) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
3. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(b) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(c) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(d) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
4. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) a plague on the crops
(b) a storm that destroyed the town
(c) trouble with the Sphinx
(d) a war with Corinth
5. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) fear and power but no freedom
(c) power and benefits without fear
(d) freedom from fear but no power
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
2. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
3. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
4. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)