|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(b) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(c) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(d) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
2. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(b) leave the town until the murderer is found
(c) talk or gossip about the murder
(d) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
3. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(b) send Creon away instead of killing him
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) trust that Creon is telling the truth
4. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his wrists
(b) his ankles
(c) his knees
(d) his elbows
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) the town elders
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
2. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
3. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
4. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
5. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)