|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because of Teiresias' age
(b) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(c) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
(d) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
2. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) leave the town until the murderer is found
(c) talk or gossip about the murder
(d) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
3. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
(a) on the road to Delphi
(b) on an ocean voyage
(c) in the palace
(d) on the way to visit a nearby shepherd
4. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
(a) that he is not the murderer and doesn't know who the murderer is
(b) that he doesn't want to know who the murderer is
(c) that he suspects who the murderer is but doesn't know
(d) that the murderer likely had nothing to do with Thebes
5. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) deferential and complimentary
(b) defensive and annoyed
(c) angry and ironic
(d) derisive and snide
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
3. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
5. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)