|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) everyone but those ill from disease
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) all the young and hearty townspeople
(d) townspeople from the very young to the very old
2. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(b) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(c) talk or gossip about the murder
(d) leave the town until the murderer is found
3. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) the truth
(c) his powers
(d) the gods
4. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a hood
(b) a crown
(c) a chain of daisies
(d) a laurel wreath
5. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
(b) because of Teiresias' age
(c) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(d) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
2. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
3. What does the priest call pestilence?
4. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
5. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)