|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(b) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(d) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the gods or wise men
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the town elders
(d) the blind prophet
4. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but will be poor
(b) that he is rich but not in spirit
(c) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(d) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's both good and bad news.
(b) It's good news.
(c) It's bad news.
(d) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
3. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
4. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
5. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)