|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(b) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(c) Oedipus is against him.
(d) Teiresias will eventually name him.
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(b) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(c) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(d) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) He cannot change them.
(b) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(c) They can be stopped by his silence.
(d) They are for the best.
4. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) consult the prophet Teiresias
(b) send another emissary to Delphi
(c) search every house in the city
(d) look inside his own palace
5. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(b) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(c) Human prophets have human motivations.
(d) Human prophets are always wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
2. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
4. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
5. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)