|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(b) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(d) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
3. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) look inside his own palace
(b) send another emissary to Delphi
(c) consult the prophet Teiresias
(d) search every house in the city
4. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(b) in their graves
(c) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(d) at home, caring for the sick
5. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) deferential and complimentary
(b) derisive and snide
(c) defensive and annoyed
(d) angry and ironic
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
2. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
3. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
4. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
5. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)