|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) trouble with the Sphinx
(b) a war with Corinth
(c) a storm that destroyed the town
(d) a plague on the crops
2. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) leave the town until the murderer is found
(d) talk or gossip about the murder
3. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
(a) wanting to marry Jocasta himself
(b) setting the Sphinx upon Thebes
(c) killing Laius and causing the plagues
(d) trying to overthrow him for the sake of power and riches
4. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(d) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
5. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a man with the power of a god
(b) a band of soldiers
(c) a gang of robbers
(d) a lone traveller
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
2. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
4. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)