|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) angry and ironic
(b) derisive and snide
(c) deferential and complimentary
(d) defensive and annoyed
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' creations
(b) his creations
(c) his children
(d) the gods' children
3. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(b) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(c) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(d) Oedipus is against him.
4. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(b) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(c) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
5. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he is a Corinthian
(b) that he comes from no nation
(c) that he is an Athenian
(d) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
2. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
4. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)