|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's bad news.
(b) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(c) It's both good and bad news.
(d) It's good news.
2. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets have human motivations.
(b) Human prophets are always wrong.
(c) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(d) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
3. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(b) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(d) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
4. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
5. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) pity on him in his misery
(b) their suppliant branches
(d) the news to the outlying farms
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
2. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
4. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
5. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)