|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(b) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
(c) because of Teiresias' age
(d) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
2. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
(b) with fear
(d) with sorrow
3. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) talk or gossip about the murder
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) leave the town until the murderer is found
(d) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
4. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(b) not talking with Creon
(c) not talking with Jocasta
(d) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that life is a riddle
(b) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(c) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(d) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
2. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
4. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
5. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)