|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Corinth
(b) in Thebes
(c) on the nearby mountain
(d) hiding in the countryside
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(b) He does not believe his own visions.
(c) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(d) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
3. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
(b) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(c) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(d) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the priest of Zeus
(b) the oracle
(c) the parliamentary leader
(d) the prophet of Hera
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(b) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(c) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(d) that life is a riddle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
2. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
4. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
5. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)