|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(b) that he comes from no nation
(c) that he is an Athenian
(d) that he is a Corinthian
2. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) a slight to the gods
(b) an unfulfilled prophecy
(c) an unavenged murder
(d) a fight between protecting gods
3. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the young and hearty townspeople
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(d) everyone but those ill from disease
4. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
(b) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
(c) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
(d) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
5. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not talking with Jocasta
(b) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(c) not talking with Creon
(d) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
2. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
3. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
4. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
5. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)