|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
2. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(b) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(c) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(d) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) the town elders
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a band of soldiers
(d) a gang of robbers
5. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he is a Corinthian
(b) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(c) that he is an Athenian
(d) that he comes from no nation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
2. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
3. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
5. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)