|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) himself and the people of Thebes
(b) the land and the god Apollo
(c) the gods and the prophets
(d) Creon and Jocasta
2. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
(a) Oedipus says that the town knew it was bringing tragedy upon itself.
(b) Oedipus says he understands that the town had other problems.
(c) Oedipus says the town should have looked into the murder.
(d) Oedipus says that the town is actively covering up the murder.
3. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a gang of robbers
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a band of soldiers
(d) a lone traveller
4. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) the news to the outlying farms
(b) their suppliant branches
(c) pity on him in his misery
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(b) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(c) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(d) that life is a riddle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
3. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
4. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
5. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)