|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks why Creon is so late.
(b) He asks what message the gods sent.
(c) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(d) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
2. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) the town elders
3. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
(a) wanting to marry Jocasta himself
(b) setting the Sphinx upon Thebes
(c) trying to overthrow him for the sake of power and riches
(d) killing Laius and causing the plagues
4. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(b) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(c) in their graves
(d) at home, caring for the sick
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) critical and derisive
(b) angry and annoyed
(c) caring and helpful
(d) overjoyed and cheerful
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
2. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
3. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
4. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
5. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)