|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(c) at home, caring for the sick
(d) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
2. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
3. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
4. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(b) everyone but those ill from disease
(c) all the young and hearty townspeople
(d) all the sick and elderly townspeople
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that life is a riddle
(b) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(c) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(d) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
2. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
3. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
4. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
5. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)