|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) critical and derisive
(c) overjoyed and cheerful
(d) angry and annoyed
2. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(b) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(c) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(d) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
3. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he is a Corinthian
(b) that he comes from no nation
(c) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(d) that he is an Athenian
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(b) He says the people have what they've come for.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people will never get salvation.
5. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) to be ripped from his land and family
(b) a life of solitude and sobriety
(c) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(d) eternal damnation
Short Answer Questions
1. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
2. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
5. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)