|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(b) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
3. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
(b) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
(c) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(d) because of Teiresias' age
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the prophet of Hera
(c) the priest of Zeus
(d) the parliamentary leader
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) overjoyed and cheerful
(c) critical and derisive
(d) angry and annoyed
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
3. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
4. Who does the priest say has gathered?
5. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)