|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to the kingdom of Corinth
(b) to Apollo's shrine
(c) to Zeus's oracle
(d) to wander the wilderness
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(b) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(c) that he is rich but will be poor
(d) that he is rich but not in spirit
3. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he is an Athenian
(b) that he comes from no nation
(c) that he is a Corinthian
(d) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
4. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It brings no benefits.
(b) It is a blessing and a curse.
(c) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(d) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the power of prophecy
(b) the true wishes of the gods
(c) the name of the murderer
(d) the family he's come from
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
3. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
4. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
5. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)