|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(b) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(c) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(d) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
2. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
(b) the oracle
3. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
4. What does the chorus leader rebuke both Oedipus and Teiresias for?
(a) not listening to each other and talking at cross purposes
(b) being angry and quarrelling instead of finding the murderer
(c) not talking with Jocasta
(d) not talking with Creon
5. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(b) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(d) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
2. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
3. What does the priest call pestilence?
4. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
5. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)