|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a roaring lion
(b) a thundering beast
(c) a fiery god
(d) a sinister snake
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(b) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(d) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
3. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(b) They were all killed.
(c) The king was alone.
(d) They all ran away.
4. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a laurel wreath
(b) a chain of daisies
(c) a crown
(d) a hood
5. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
3. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
4. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)