|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(b) He asks why Creon is so late.
(c) He asks what message the gods sent.
(d) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
3. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is too late for revenge.
(b) He says it is fitting.
(c) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(d) He says it will be an easy task.
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the prophet of Hera
(b) the priest of Zeus
(c) the parliamentary leader
(d) the oracle
5. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(d) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
2. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
3. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
4. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
5. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)