|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) an ocean
(b) a desert
(c) a forest
(d) a mountain
2. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) the gods and the prophets
(b) himself and the people of Thebes
(c) the land and the god Apollo
(d) Creon and Jocasta
3. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Thebes
(b) hiding in the countryside
(c) in Corinth
(d) on the nearby mountain
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the parliamentary leader
(b) the prophet of Hera
(c) the oracle
(d) the priest of Zeus
5. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(b) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(c) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
(d) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
5. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)