|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(b) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
2. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Corinth
(b) on the nearby mountain
(c) in Thebes
(d) hiding in the countryside
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(b) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(d) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) the town elders
(c) Zeus's oracle
(d) the gods or wise men
5. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it will be an easy task.
(b) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(c) He says it is fitting.
(d) He says it is too late for revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
2. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
3. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
5. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)