|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(b) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(c) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(d) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
2. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(b) He says the people have what they've come for.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people will never get salvation.
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(b) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(c) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(d) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) Zeus's oracle
(b) the blind prophet
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) the town elders
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(b) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(c) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(d) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
2. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
3. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
4. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)