|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(b) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(c) all the young and hearty townspeople
(d) everyone but those ill from disease
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his children
(b) his creations
(c) the gods' children
(d) the gods' creations
3. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to wander the wilderness
(b) to Zeus's oracle
(c) to the kingdom of Corinth
(d) to Apollo's shrine
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
5. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
(a) on the road to Delphi
(b) on the way to visit a nearby shepherd
(c) in the palace
(d) on an ocean voyage
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
2. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
5. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)