|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a thundering beast
(b) a fiery god
(c) a sinister snake
(d) a roaring lion
2. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the gods or wise men
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the blind prophet
(d) the town elders
3. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(c) no relation
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
5. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) their suppliant branches
(b) the news to the outlying farms
(d) pity on him in his misery
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
2. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
3. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
5. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)