|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(b) The king was alone.
(c) They all ran away.
(d) They were all killed.
2. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) overjoyed and cheerful
(c) critical and derisive
(d) angry and annoyed
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the priest of Zeus
(b) the oracle
(c) the prophet of Hera
(d) the parliamentary leader
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(b) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(c) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(d) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) the gods and the prophets
(b) himself and the people of Thebes
(c) the land and the god Apollo
(d) Creon and Jocasta
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
2. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
3. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)