|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a chain of daisies
(b) a hood
(c) a crown
(d) a laurel wreath
2. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(c) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(d) at home, caring for the sick
3. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) a slight to the gods
(b) a fight between protecting gods
(c) an unfulfilled prophecy
(d) an unavenged murder
4. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
5. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) pity on him in his misery
(b) their suppliant branches
(d) the news to the outlying farms
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
2. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
4. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
5. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)