|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's a god to the town
(b) because he's the one they all blame
(c) because he's the first among men
(d) because he's got the power of wealth
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They all ran away.
(b) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(c) The king was alone.
(d) They were all killed.
3. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(d) no relation
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a band of soldiers
(d) a gang of robbers
5. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(b) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(c) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(d) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
2. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)