|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(b) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
(c) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(d) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
2. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is too late for revenge.
(b) He says it is fitting.
(c) He says it will be an easy task.
(d) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
3. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) a plague on the crops
(b) a storm that destroyed the town
(c) a war with Corinth
(d) trouble with the Sphinx
4. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) everyone but those ill from disease
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) all the young and hearty townspeople
(d) townspeople from the very young to the very old
5. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(b) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(c) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(d) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
2. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
3. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
4. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
5. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)