|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(b) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
2. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Thebes
(b) on the nearby mountain
(c) in Corinth
(d) hiding in the countryside
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his creations
(b) his children
(c) the gods' children
(d) the gods' creations
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(b) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(c) He says the people will never get salvation.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) the land and the god Apollo
(b) Creon and Jocasta
(c) himself and the people of Thebes
(d) the gods and the prophets
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
2. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
3. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
4. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
5. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)