|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a chain of daisies
(b) a hood
(c) a crown
(d) a laurel wreath
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a band of soldiers
(b) a lone traveller
(c) a gang of robbers
(d) a man with the power of a god
3. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
(a) on an ocean voyage
(b) in the palace
(c) on the road to Delphi
(d) on the way to visit a nearby shepherd
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
5. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(c) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(d) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
2. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
3. What does the priest call pestilence?
4. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
5. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)