|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' children
(b) the gods' creations
(c) his children
(d) his creations
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's got the power of wealth
(b) because he's the first among men
(c) because he's a god to the town
(d) because he's the one they all blame
3. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) caring and helpful
(b) angry and annoyed
(c) critical and derisive
(d) overjoyed and cheerful
4. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) an ocean
(b) a mountain
(c) a desert
(d) a forest
5. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(b) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(c) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
(d) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
3. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)