|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(b) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(c) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(d) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
2. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(b) at home, caring for the sick
(c) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(d) in their graves
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the prophet of Hera
(c) the priest of Zeus
(d) the parliamentary leader
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(b) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(c) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(d) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
2. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
3. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
4. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
5. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)