|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his children
(b) the gods' creations
(c) the gods' children
(d) his creations
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's got the power of wealth
(c) because he's a god to the town
(d) because he's the first among men
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) Zeus's oracle
(b) the town elders
(c) the blind prophet
(d) the gods or wise men
4. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(b) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(c) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(d) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
5. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is fitting.
(b) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(c) He says it will be an easy task.
(d) He says it is too late for revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
2. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
4. Who does the priest say has gathered?
5. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)