|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is too late for revenge.
(b) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(c) He says it is fitting.
(d) He says it will be an easy task.
2. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
(a) in Thebes
(b) in Corinth
(c) hiding in the countryside
(d) on the nearby mountain
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) Creon and Jocasta
(b) himself and the people of Thebes
(c) the gods and the prophets
(d) the land and the god Apollo
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the gods or wise men
(b) Zeus's oracle
(c) the town elders
(d) the blind prophet
5. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
(c) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(d) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
2. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
3. Who does the priest say has gathered?
4. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
5. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)