|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's got the power of wealth
(b) because he's a god to the town
(c) because he's the first among men
(d) because he's the one they all blame
2. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(b) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(c) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(d) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
3. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a god
(b) a dictate from a prophet
(c) a promise of reward from Corinth
(d) financial help from Thebes
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(b) He says it is fitting.
(c) He says it will be an easy task.
(d) He says it is too late for revenge.
5. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
2. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
4. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
5. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)