|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
(b) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(c) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
(d) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
2. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's good news.
(b) It's both good and bad news.
(c) It's bad news.
(d) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
3. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a gang of robbers
(b) a lone traveller
(c) a man with the power of a god
(d) a band of soldiers
4. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the prophet of Hera
(b) the oracle
(c) the parliamentary leader
(d) the priest of Zeus
5. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
(b) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(c) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(d) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
3. Who does the priest say has gathered?
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)