|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's a god to the town
(c) because he's the first among men
(d) because he's got the power of wealth
2. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the parliamentary leader
(c) the prophet of Hera
(d) the priest of Zeus
3. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to Zeus's oracle
(b) to the kingdom of Corinth
(c) to Apollo's shrine
(d) to wander the wilderness
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(b) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
5. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(b) all the young and hearty townspeople
(c) everyone but those ill from disease
(d) townspeople from the very young to the very old
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
2. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
4. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
5. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)