|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a band of soldiers
(c) a gang of robbers
(d) a man with the power of a god
2. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people will never get salvation.
(b) He says the people have what they've come for.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the parliamentary leader
(b) the prophet of Hera
(c) the oracle
(d) the priest of Zeus
4. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a prophet
(b) a dictate from a god
(c) a promise of reward from Corinth
(d) financial help from Thebes
5. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's a god to the town
(b) because he's the one they all blame
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's the first among men
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
2. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
3. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
4. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
5. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)