|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) financial help from Thebes
(b) a dictate from a prophet
(c) a dictate from a god
(d) a promise of reward from Corinth
2. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a desert
(b) a forest
(c) an ocean
(d) a mountain
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the priest of Zeus
(b) the oracle
(c) the prophet of Hera
(d) the parliamentary leader
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(b) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(c) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(d) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
5. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(b) in their graves
(c) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(d) at home, caring for the sick
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
2. What does the priest call pestilence?
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
4. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
5. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)