|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the chorus leader say can rule Thebes when Oedipus is gone?
(c) no one
2. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) the gods
(c) the truth
(d) his powers
3. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(b) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(c) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(d) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
4. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(b) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(c) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
5. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(c) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(d) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
2. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
3. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
4. What does Oedipus say hanging himself would be?
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)