|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What children did Polybus have before Oedipus?
(b) a daughter who died
(c) a son who died
(d) a son who was stolen away
2. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the true wishes of the gods
(b) the name of the murderer
(c) the family he's come from
(d) the power of prophecy
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(b) He cannot change them.
(c) They can be stopped by his silence.
(d) They are for the best.
4. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(b) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(c) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(d) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
5. What does Oedipus say hanging himself would be?
(a) insufficient punishment
(b) a blissful exit from his troubles
(c) yet another crime on his soul
(d) something he lacks the courage to do
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
2. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
3. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
4. What does Oedipus say about the chorus regarding their advice?
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)