|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(b) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(c) because the prophets speak for the gods
(d) because his mother is still alive
2. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
(a) in the forest
(b) in front of the palace
(c) at the oracle
(d) in a shrine
3. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(b) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(c) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(d) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
4. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) send Creon away instead of killing him
(b) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) trust that Creon is telling the truth
5. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
(b) having met Jocasta
(c) not seeing his parents
(d) having met Creon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
2. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
3. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
4. What does Oedipus pray for his daughters?
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)