|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) talks to the people of Thebes
(b) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(c) flees the city of Thebes
(d) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(b) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(d) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
3. How many daughters does Oedipus have?
4. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(b) the oracle
5. Does Oedipus believe in life after death?
(a) Yes, he says he does not want to see his father in the afterlife.
(b) He denies that he does, but he seems afraid of what might await him if he's wrong.
(c) No, he believes that Jocasta no longer exists on heaven or Earth.
(d) Yes, he is eager to ask forgiveness of his father in the afterlife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the messenger say Jocasta will feel about his news?
2. What does Creon ask Oedipus' servants to do when he approaches Oedipus outside the palace?
3. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
5. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)