|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) look inside his own palace
(b) search every house in the city
(c) send another emissary to Delphi
(d) consult the prophet Teiresias
2. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' shepherds
(b) one of Laius' soldiers
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) Jocasta's young maid
3. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a hood
(b) a laurel wreath
(c) a crown
(d) a chain of daisies
4. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
5. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like children who see their father's fear
(b) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(c) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(d) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
3. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
4. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
5. What does the chorus want to know from Oedipus when he emerges from the palace?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)