|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
(c) at home, caring for the sick
(d) at the gods' shrines asking for help
2. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
(b) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(c) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(d) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
3. What part of her and Laius' infant child does Jocasta say Laius bound?
(a) his knees
(b) his elbows
(c) his ankles
(d) his wrists
4. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because his mother is still alive
(b) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(c) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
(d) because the prophets speak for the gods
5. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
(b) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
(c) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(d) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
2. What does Oedipus say hanging himself would be?
3. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
4. How does Oedipus know that his daughters have come out of the palace?
5. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)