|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the parliamentary leader
(c) the prophet of Hera
(d) the priest of Zeus
2. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
(c) the oracle
3. What does Creon say stopped the city from looking into the king's death?
(a) trouble with the Sphinx
(b) a plague on the crops
(c) a storm that destroyed the town
(d) a war with Corinth
4. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(b) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(c) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(d) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
5. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
2. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
4. What does Oedipus ask of Creon?
5. What does the chorus want to know from Oedipus when he emerges from the palace?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)