|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
(b) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
(c) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(d) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
2. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
(a) The description of the carriage does not match the one Oedipus remembers.
(b) The murder seems to have taken place at a different time than Oedipus remembers.
(c) The survivor reported being attacked by a band of thieves, not one man.
(d) The survivor may see Oedipus's face and be able to identify that he's not the killer.
3. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(b) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(c) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(d) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
4. What does Creon ask Oedipus' servants to do when he approaches Oedipus outside the palace?
(a) take Oedipus away, inside the palace
(b) bring him Jocasta's body
(c) kill Oedipus out of mercy
(d) kill Oedipus out of vengeance
5. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's older than they believed
(b) that he's not born of natural parents
(c) that he's Polybus' son after all
(d) that he's of low social status
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus suggest the people of Thebes might do to him, as alternatives to sending him out of Thebes?
2. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
3. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
4. What does Oedipus say hanging himself would be?
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)