|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(b) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(c) Human prophets are always wrong.
(d) Human prophets have human motivations.
2. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(b) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(d) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
3. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
4. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
(b) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(c) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(d) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They all ran away.
(b) They were all killed.
(c) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(d) The king was alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
2. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
3. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
4. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)