|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(b) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(d) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
2. What does Oedipus say that he still fears, after hearing the news of Polybus' death?
(a) wedding his mother
(b) Creon's treachery
(c) the wrath of Apollo
(d) the plague on the land
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) Creon and Jocasta
(b) the gods and the prophets
(c) himself and the people of Thebes
(d) the land and the god Apollo
4. What does the chorus want to know from Oedipus when he emerges from the palace?
(a) how he could show himself to them in his shame
(b) how he could blame the gods for his own faults
(c) how he could blind himself
(d) how he could allow his wife to come to harm
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the family he's come from
(b) the true wishes of the gods
(c) the name of the murderer
(d) the power of prophecy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
2. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
4. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
5. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)