|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(b) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(c) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(d) He is now married to Laius' wife.
2. What does Oedipus pray for his daughters?
(a) that they hold on to each other against the cruelty of the world
(b) that they live their destined lives more happily than he has
(c) that they die young so that they see less sorrow
(d) that they forget they ever had a father and think themselves born from the sea
3. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(b) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(c) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
(d) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
4. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) making the gods upset
(b) not listening to the oracle
(c) not listening to each other
(d) fighting when the town's in trouble
5. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Oedipus is against him.
(b) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(c) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(d) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
2. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
3. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
4. What does Oedipus say hanging himself would be?
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)