|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) everyone but those ill from disease
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(d) all the young and hearty townspeople
2. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the parliamentary leader
(c) the priest of Zeus
(d) the prophet of Hera
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They can be stopped by his silence.
(b) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(c) They are for the best.
(d) He cannot change them.
4. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) leave the town until the murderer is found
(c) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(d) talk or gossip about the murder
5. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
(b) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(d) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
2. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
3. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
4. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
5. What sentence does Oedipus want to give to Creon for his crime?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)