|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
(a) The stranger and his entourage tried to force Oedipus off the road.
(b) The stranger's entourage tried to arrest Oedipus for being a vagrant on the road.
(c) The stranger asked Oedipus why he had left his parents' home.
(d) The stranger insulted Oedipus as they passed each other.
2. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(c) no relation
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(b) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(c) It is a blessing and a curse.
(d) It brings no benefits.
4. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) rule as king
(b) hurt his sister
(c) gain wealth
(d) mar Teiresias's reputation
5. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a mountain
(b) a forest
(c) an ocean
(d) a desert
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
2. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
3. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
4. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
5. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)