|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
(a) in a shrine
(b) at the oracle
(c) in the forest
(d) in front of the palace
2. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) the gods
(c) the truth
(d) his powers
3. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a mountain
(b) a forest
(c) a desert
(d) an ocean
4. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the name of the murderer
(b) the true wishes of the gods
(c) the family he's come from
(d) the power of prophecy
5. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(b) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(c) Oedipus is against him.
(d) The ire of the city is rising against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
2. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
3. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
4. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
5. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)