|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(b) no relation
2. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) Zeus's oracle
(b) the town elders
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) the blind prophet
3. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) angry and ironic
(b) deferential and complimentary
(c) defensive and annoyed
(d) derisive and snide
4. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) leave the town until the murderer is found
(d) talk or gossip about the murder
5. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(b) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(c) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(d) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
2. What gives Oedipus hope that he did not kill Laius?
3. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
4. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
5. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)