|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
(a) Oedipus refuses to listen to the chorus.
(b) Oedipus gives in to the chorus unwillingly, foreseeing doom to himself.
(c) Oedipus decides not to change his decision, though the chorus makes him doubtful.
(d) Oedipus is convinced by the chorus and gladly does what they ask.
2. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
3. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(b) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(c) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(d) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
4. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) power and benefits without fear
(b) fear and power but no freedom
(c) freedom from fear but no power
(d) royal benefits but no freedom
5. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's a god to the town
(b) because he's got the power of wealth
(c) because he's the one they all blame
(d) because he's the first among men
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
3. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
4. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
5. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)