|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(b) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
2. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(b) pity on him in his misery
(c) their suppliant branches
(d) the news to the outlying farms
3. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(b) Laius was big and had white hair.
(c) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(d) Laius was small with a gray beard.
4. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(c) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(d) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that life is a riddle
(b) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(c) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(d) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
2. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
3. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
4. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
5. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)