|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a prophet
(b) a promise of reward from Corinth
(c) financial help from Thebes
(d) a dictate from a god
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
(a) that he can see but not himself
(b) that he can see but not the future
(c) that he can see but not the past
(d) that he can see but will be blind
3. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(c) a small boy
(d) the chorus leader
4. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He does not believe his own visions.
(b) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(c) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(d) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
5. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(b) that life is a riddle
(c) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(d) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
2. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
3. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
4. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
5. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)