|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was big and had white hair.
(b) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(c) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(d) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
2. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) royal benefits but no freedom
(b) freedom from fear but no power
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) power and benefits without fear
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(b) It is a blessing and a curse.
(c) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(d) It brings no benefits.
4. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(b) talks to the people of Thebes
(c) flees the city of Thebes
(d) challenges Oedipus to a fight
5. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(b) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(c) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(d) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
2. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
3. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
4. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
5. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)