|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(b) It brings no benefits.
(c) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(d) It is a blessing and a curse.
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(b) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(c) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(d) He does not believe his own visions.
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) He cannot change them.
(b) They can be stopped by his silence.
(c) They are for the best.
(d) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
4. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a band of soldiers
(b) a gang of robbers
(c) a man with the power of a god
(d) a lone traveller
5. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(b) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(c) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(d) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
2. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
3. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
4. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
5. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)