|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They are for the best.
(b) They can be stopped by his silence.
(c) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(d) He cannot change them.
2. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(b) that life is a riddle
(c) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(d) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
3. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) power and benefits without fear
(b) freedom from fear but no power
(c) royal benefits but no freedom
(d) fear and power but no freedom
4. Where did Laius order his infant child to be put?
(a) in the ocean
(b) in a river
(c) on a mountain
(d) in a field
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) the gods or wise men
(c) Zeus's oracle
(d) the town elders
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
3. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
4. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)