|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a stranger passng through the town
(b) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(c) a drunk man at a dinner
(d) the local prophet
2. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a garland and incense
(b) her youngest child
(c) a scarlet cape
(d) a gift from Teiresias
3. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
(a) He yells at her and sends her into the palace.
(b) He agrees to tell her his worries.
(c) He tells her that there is nothing troubling her.
(d) He refuses to tell her, since what he suspects is so bad.
4. What does Creon say his current position brings?
(a) freedom from fear but no power
(b) power and benefits without fear
(c) fear and power but no freedom
(d) royal benefits but no freedom
5. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(c) the messenger
(d) the chorus
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
2. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
4. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
5. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)