|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta say before she leaves?
(a) that she'll never speak again
(b) that she'll join Laius
(c) that she'll never see Thebes again
(d) that she'll run away from Oedipus
2. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(b) No human is skilled in prophecy.
(c) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(d) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
3. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
(a) in a poor house in Thebes
(b) in Laius' house
(c) in a distant village
(d) in Corinth
4. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(b) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(c) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
5. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(b) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
(c) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(d) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
2. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
3. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
4. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
5. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)