|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(b) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(c) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
(d) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
2. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(b) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(c) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(d) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
3. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(b) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(c) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
4. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(c) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(d) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
5. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
2. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
3. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
4. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
5. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)