|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the power of prophecy
(b) the name of the murderer
(c) the family he's come from
(d) the true wishes of the gods
2. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(b) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(c) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
(d) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
3. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
(b) with sorrow
(d) with fear
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) derisive and snide
(b) defensive and annoyed
(c) deferential and complimentary
(d) angry and ironic
5. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) on the doorstep of his home
(b) on the border of Corinth
(c) in the valleys of Clithaeron
(d) by the banks of a river
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
2. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
3. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
4. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
5. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)