|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(b) talk or gossip about the murder
(c) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(d) leave the town until the murderer is found
2. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
3. What does Jocasta chide Oedipus and Creon for?
(a) not listening to each other
(b) making the gods upset
(c) fighting when the town's in trouble
(d) not listening to the oracle
4. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) He cannot change them.
(b) They can be stopped by his silence.
(c) They are for the best.
(d) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
5. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
(b) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(c) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(d) They told Oedipus that it was true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
3. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
4. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
5. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)