|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(b) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(d) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
2. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(b) the messenger
(d) the chorus leader
3. Who does Jocasta send for after hearing the messenger's news?
(b) the oracle
4. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but will be poor
(b) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(c) that he is rich but not in spirit
(d) that he is rich with wealth but not love
5. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) Teiresias will eventually name him.
(b) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(c) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(d) Oedipus is against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
2. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
3. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
4. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
5. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)