|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
(c) a stranger
(d) the messenger
2. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
(a) having met Jocasta
(b) not seeing his parents
(c) having met Creon
(d) having taken on the burden of ruling Thebes
3. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(b) Human prophets are always wrong.
(c) Human prophets have human motivations.
(d) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
4. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(b) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
(c) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(d) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
5. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(b) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
(c) because of Teiresias' age
(d) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say told her about Laius' death?
2. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
3. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
4. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
5. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)