|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(b) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(d) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
2. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' soldiers
(b) an old man he cannot identify
(c) Jocasta's young maid
(d) one of Laius' shepherds
3. What does Oedipus first say to Jocasta, after questioning the messenger about Polybus' death?
(a) He says he must immediately leave for Corinth to see his mother.
(b) He wonders why anyone would pay homage to Apollo's prophets.
(c) He says that this foretells a new era of prosperity in Thebes.
(d) He regrets that he left his home in Corinth without reason.
4. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
(a) Oedipus was mislead by Teiresias.
(b) Oedipus was angry.
(c) Creon was guilty.
(d) Creon is being framed.
5. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
(a) being stupid and not the one to answer the Sphinx's riddle
(b) being power hungry and greedy
(c) being stubborn and forgetting common sense
(d) framing him to cover Oedipus's own crimes
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
2. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
3. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
4. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
5. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)