|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
(b) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(c) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(d) No human is skilled in prophecy.
2. Who leads Teiresias into Oedipus' presence?
(a) the chorus leader
(c) a small boy
3. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
(a) Yes, he identifies the messenger easily.
(b) No, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
(c) No, he says he doesn't remember the man at first.
(d) Yes, but it's clear he is lying and soon admits the lie.
4. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(b) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(c) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(d) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
5. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
(a) one of Laius' shepherds
(b) Jocasta's young maid
(c) an old man he cannot identify
(d) one of Laius' soldiers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus tell Jocasta, when she begs him to tell her what's troubling him?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
4. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
5. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)