|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(c) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(d) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
2. What is the position of the chorus, as stated by the chorus leader, in the conflict between Oedipus and Creon?
(a) Oedipus should not judge Creon prematurely.
(b) Oedipus needs to question Teiresias more closely.
(c) Oedipus should resign as king.
(d) Oedipus needs to defend himself.
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(b) that he is rich but will be poor
(c) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(d) that he is rich but not in spirit
4. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
(a) by the banks of a river
(b) on the border of Corinth
(c) on the doorstep of his home
(d) in the valleys of Clithaeron
5. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(b) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(d) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
2. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
3. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
4. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
5. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)