|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(b) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(c) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(d) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
2. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the family he's come from
(b) the name of the murderer
(c) the power of prophecy
(d) the true wishes of the gods
3. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) No, he has never seen the old man.
(b) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(c) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(d) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
4. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(b) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(c) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
(d) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
5. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(b) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(c) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
4. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
5. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)