|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where three roads meet
(b) where the flatlands begin to become steep
(c) at the kingdom's border
(d) where two roads cross a stream
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(b) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(c) He does not believe his own visions.
(d) He isn't sure about what he knows.
3. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) Creon becoming a tyrannt
(b) Oedipus' exile or death
(c) destruction of Thebes
(d) war with Corinth
4. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
(a) Oedipus offers to banish the murderer instead of killing him.
(b) Oedipus offers the murderer his choice of death or banishment.
(c) Oedipus offers to limit the murderer's banishment.
(d) Oedipus offers the murderer a place in Corinth in exchange for banishment from Thebes.
5. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(b) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(c) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
2. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
3. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
4. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
5. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)