|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) fifteen of the best men
(b) ten heralds
(c) no one
(d) five men, including a herald
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(b) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(c) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(d) He does not believe his own visions.
3. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(b) the truth
(c) his powers
(d) the gods
4. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(b) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(c) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(d) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
5. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
(a) the progress toward finding Laius's murderer
(b) what happened between Oedipus and Creon
(c) the interview between Oedipus and Teiresias
(d) the state of the farms and the townspeople
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
2. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
3. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
4. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
5. What does Oedipus tell the messenger he regrets about leaving Corinth?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)