|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he is a Corinthian
(b) that he comes from no nation
(c) that he is an Athenian
(d) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
2. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) a drunk man at a dinner
(b) the local prophet
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) a stranger passng through the town
3. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
(a) a scarlet cape
(b) a gift from Teiresias
(c) her youngest child
(d) a garland and incense
4. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
(a) to accept the prophecy, since he can't change the future
(b) to act to try to avoid the prophecy
(c) to ignore prophecies and live life as best he can
(d) to act to try to fulfill the prophecy
5. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(b) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(c) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(d) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
2. How long would the shepherds stay in the fields each year?
3. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
4. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
5. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)