|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) no one
(b) five men, including a herald
(c) ten heralds
(d) fifteen of the best men
2. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
(a) rule as king
(b) mar Teiresias's reputation
(c) hurt his sister
(d) gain wealth
3. What nationality does Oedipus say the mother who raised him was?
4. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
5. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) back to Corinth
(b) away from both Thebes and Corinth
(c) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
(d) into the mountains of Thebes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
2. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
3. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
4. Who does the messenger say gave him the infant Oedipus?
5. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)