|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
(a) fifteen of the best men
(b) ten heralds
(c) five men, including a herald
(d) no one
2. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
(a) what the cause of his death was
(b) what time of day he died
(c) whether his mother knows of the death
(d) what Polybus said before his death
3. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
(a) that he suspects who the murderer is but doesn't know
(b) that the murderer likely had nothing to do with Thebes
(c) that he is not the murderer and doesn't know who the murderer is
(d) that he doesn't want to know who the murderer is
4. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) talk or gossip about the murder
(b) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
(c) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(d) leave the town until the murderer is found
5. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(b) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(c) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(d) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
3. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
4. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
5. Where did the old shepherd grow up?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)