Essay Topic 1
Discuss dramatic irony in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) How does the fact that the audience knows the story of Oedipus affect the way the writer tells the story? How could the story be told differently, if the audience were unfamiliar with it?
2) How does dramatic irony affect the audience's perception of Oedipus? Is the audience more or less sympathetic toward Oedipus? Why or why not? How does the audience perceive Oedipus' quarrels with Teiresias and Creon?
3) How does dramatic irony affect the audience's perception of Jocasta?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss free will and predestination in OEDIPUS THE KING.
1) Is Oedipus predestined to his fate, or does he have free will? Are these two ideas completely incompatible?
2) Can Oedipus be held responsible for his actions, if his fate is predestined?
3) How does predestination affect the position of a ruler? Are all the joys and woes that befall...
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)