|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mood throughout most of the story can be described as ________________.
2. Of the listed, which is NOT a place Bond reminisces about?
3. What does Bond look forward to before his flight?
4. Who is Bond supposed to meet for the mission?
5. What causes great anticipation in Bond's assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fleming have two people involved in Bond's mission? What is Captain Sender's role?
2. What clues are given as Bond plans out his day that foreshadows the ending of "007 in New York"?
3. How does Bond spend his first free afternoon? How does virtue triumph in this situation?
4. Describe the crossing point for Number 272. How is the area good or bad for 272, Trigger and Bond?
5. How does Bond's description of the cello player foreshadow her involvement with his assignment?
6. Bond is first suspicious of a man at the airport. What thrilling story does he propose for the nondescript man?
7. For whom and why does Ian Fleming write "007 in New York"?
8. How is "007 in New York" set up differently in its storytelling than the previous three stories in the novel?
9. Based on Bond's daydreaming plans, use three adjectives to describe his character and why these words describe him.
10. Why does Bond prefer the auto firm that he uses in New York? What is the major benefit for his current situation in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering all the stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights," discuss why Bond may have inconsistent feelings about being a Double O agent. What causes Bond to love his job but hate it too?
Essay Topic 2
Bond's character comes out here and there between the four short stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights." Explain his thought processes and how it matches or contrasts with his external persona. What is the same or different? What is the purpose in having a different exterior to the people he meets? What inner strengths carries through to the exterior?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets in the Double O espionage world. Write an essay on trust between the agents and who they meet. How is trust affected in their personal and professional lives? What must Bond always be aware of? How is this shown throughout his assignments?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)