|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wartski's storefront can be described as __________.
2. What does Smythe do with the paper that catches his eye?
3. How is Freudenstein related to the art piece?
4. What is Smythe thinking when the octopus' tentacles reach out to him?
5. What marks the under-bidder is done and out of the auction for Lot 42?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
2. Bond constantly meets new characters for his job and must make judgments about them. What signs show Bond is good at reading people?
3. What kind of relationship must Bond always have when he meets new people? Why?
4. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
5. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
6. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
7. Bond is not a major character in Octopussy and his role is very minor compared to his usual services for the British Secret Service. How and why does he enter Smythe's life?
8. Describe how Peter Wilson, the auctioneer helps set the tone and conduct of the auction?
9. From what little is known about Oberhauser and his interactions with Smythe, what can the reader gather about his character?
10. Freudenstein works in London with the Purple Cipher. Describe Freudenstein's role in the espionage world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
Essay Topic 2
What does greed and the prospect of fame do to Smythe? How do these opportunities influence Smythe's life? What does it say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Bond's character comes out here and there between the four short stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights." Explain his thought processes and how it matches or contrasts with his external persona. What is the same or different? What is the purpose in having a different exterior to the people he meets? What inner strengths carries through to the exterior?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)