|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Smythe's morning routine by 10:30 A.M.?
2. What signals give Bond an idea of what kind of news to expect from his boss?
3. In addition to Snowman, who else competes for the Fabergé?
4. What is the scorpion fishes main weapon?
5. What sign indicates Smythe is lying when he says he cannot recall an Hannes Oberhauser?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what little is known about Oberhauser and his interactions with Smythe, what can the reader gather about his character?
2. What kind of relationship must Bond always have when he meets new people? Why?
3. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
4. Why does Bond prefer the auto firm that he uses in New York? What is the major benefit for his current situation in New York?
5. How does Fleming show his true feelings about New York throughout the story?
6. Smythe arrests Oberhauser for false reasons and kills him. For years Smythe gets away with it. What does this say about events of WWII and its scary truth?
7. What kind of man is Captain Paul Sender? What is his character type and how does this fit in his line of work?
8. Why does Bond fail to kill Trigger despite his perfect aim at the shooting range?
9. What kind of persona does Bond display? Use the Chief Range Officer's impression as an example.
10. Describe the crossing point for Number 272. How is the area good or bad for 272, Trigger and Bond?
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets in the Double O espionage world. Write an essay on trust between the agents and who they meet. How is trust affected in their personal and professional lives? What must Bond always be aware of? How is this shown throughout his assignments?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about who is James Bond and how his characteristics fit his job as a secret service agent.
Essay Topic 3
The genre of James Bond books are espionage/spy thrillers that usually consists of suspense. Explain how Fleming creates suspense in each of his stories. Where is the climax in each story?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)