|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reassures Snowman that Bond is someone he can like?
2. Why does Snowman no longer help Bond at the auction?
3. Where does Smythe live?
4. What famous artist is responsible for making the art piece Dr. Fanshawe mentions?
5. What does Freudenstein do that exposes her true intentions for working with the British government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Bond's internal relationship with the cello player before he discovers the truth. How does this affect him?
2. Describe the airport at the beginning of "007 in New York" and how Bond deals with the chaos.
3. Smythe expresses boredom with his life in Jamaica, yet he does little to change it. What stops Smythe from doing more with his boredom?
4. What significance is it to the British government to know that the KGB wants to pay Freudenstein?
5. Bond is first suspicious of a man at the airport. What thrilling story does he propose for the nondescript man?
6. Why does Fleming have two people involved in Bond's mission? What is Captain Sender's role?
7. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
8. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
9. Why does the KGB go through troubles of sending an expensive jewelry piece with a fake provenance, rather than pay a large sum to their double agent?
10. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Miss Freudenstein and how she becomes a double agent. What is her role and why does she do it? What possible reasons does she go against her own mother's fight?
Essay Topic 2
Considering all the stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights," discuss why Bond may have inconsistent feelings about being a Double O agent. What causes Bond to love his job but hate it too?
Essay Topic 3
What does greed and the prospect of fame do to Smythe? How do these opportunities influence Smythe's life? What does it say about his character?
This section contains 1,938 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)