|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M say to offend Dr. Fanshawe?
2. What categorical drunk does Fleming group Smythe?
3. What building does Bond work in?
4. Where does Smythe live?
5. What does Smythe want to be able to do with "Pussy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
2. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
3. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
4. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
5. Smythe considers court martial or committing suicide. Why is it better or worse if he decides one over the other?
6. Explain persona non grata and how its declaration of Piotr Malinowksi helps the United Kingdom.
7. When Dr. Fanshawe, M, and Bond are talking in M's office, Dr. Fanshawe tends to look down when he speaks to Bond. However, he immediately looks up when asked about the Emerald Sphere. Why is this?
8. Smythe arrests Oberhauser for false reasons and kills him. For years Smythe gets away with it. What does this say about events of WWII and its scary truth?
9. Freudenstein works in London with the Purple Cipher. Describe Freudenstein's role in the espionage world.
10. Although Bond is there to return Smythe to England, how does Bond show mercy towards the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to work for the Secret Service, the person is ideally focused on the assignment, but everyone is human, including Bond. How does Bond show vulnerability in his character that works against him as a secret service agent?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
Essay Topic 3
There are many types of characters in The Living Daylights that are necessary to succeed in the mission to kill Trigger. Describe the different types of characters observed in the Secret Service and how they balance each other within the department.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)