|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Smythe?
2. Why is Smythe's villa name so fitting?
3. What does Dr. Greaves ration Smythe's vices to?
4. What trouble does the ammunition box give Smythe?
5. What does Bond mention to seal the fact that he knows about Smythe's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
2. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
3. As Smythe ponders his decision to either return to England or end his life, he remembers his social plans of the night. Why does this routine cheer Smythe up all of a sudden, despite his dislike for his daily life?
4. Describe how Bond and Smythe are careful about their word choice and speech as they speak about Smythe's service in WWII.
5. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
6. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
7. What kind of relationship must Bond always have when he meets new people? Why?
8. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
9. From what little is known about Oberhauser and his interactions with Smythe, what can the reader gather about his character?
10. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many types of characters in The Living Daylights that are necessary to succeed in the mission to kill Trigger. Describe the different types of characters observed in the Secret Service and how they balance each other within the department.
Essay Topic 2
Considering all the stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights," discuss why Bond may have inconsistent feelings about being a Double O agent. What causes Bond to love his job but hate it too?
Essay Topic 3
Death and murder are encountered throughout the four short stories. Describe how several characters view death, such as Smythe, Bond, Sender, Trigger, etc. What affects their feelings? Is it different when it is their own death versus someone else's? What other factors influence their thoughts on whether death should or should not occur?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)