|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What identifies Smythe to his crime?
2. What kind of information does the catalogue give about the Lots?
3. What business does Bond have with Smythe?
4. What happens over time as Smythe spends his retirement in the Caribbean?
5. What gives away Wartski's notable stature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
2. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
3. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
4. Describe how Peter Wilson, the auctioneer helps set the tone and conduct of the auction?
5. Although Bond is there to return Smythe to England, how does Bond show mercy towards the man?
6. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
7. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
8. Bond is not a major character in Octopussy and his role is very minor compared to his usual services for the British Secret Service. How and why does he enter Smythe's life?
9. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
10. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does greed and the prospect of fame do to Smythe? How do these opportunities influence Smythe's life? What does it say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Death and murder are encountered throughout the four short stories. Describe how several characters view death, such as Smythe, Bond, Sender, Trigger, etc. What affects their feelings? Is it different when it is their own death versus someone else's? What other factors influence their thoughts on whether death should or should not occur?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets in the Double O espionage world. Write an essay on trust between the agents and who they meet. How is trust affected in their personal and professional lives? What must Bond always be aware of? How is this shown throughout his assignments?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)