|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tired of playing mind games, what does Bond offer Smythe?
2. What sign indicates Smythe is lying when he says he cannot recall an Hannes Oberhauser?
3. What marking is on the contents of the ammunition box?
4. What does Smythe want to see before he dies?
5. What is Freudenstein's maternal history that helps her gain British trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe arrests Oberhauser for false reasons and kills him. For years Smythe gets away with it. What does this say about events of WWII and its scary truth?
2. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
3. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
4. What significance is it to the British government to know that the KGB wants to pay Freudenstein?
5. Explain persona non grata and how its declaration of Piotr Malinowksi helps the United Kingdom.
6. Signaling a bid can take many forms. What sly way does the under-bidder communicate with Peter Wilson during the auction of the Emerald Sphere? How is this harder to detect?
7. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
8. Bond is not a major character in Octopussy and his role is very minor compared to his usual services for the British Secret Service. How and why does he enter Smythe's life?
9. Describe the atmosphere of Sotheby's, the night of the auction of the Emerald Sphere? What are the rooms and people like?
10. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets in the Double O espionage world. Write an essay on trust between the agents and who they meet. How is trust affected in their personal and professional lives? What must Bond always be aware of? How is this shown throughout his assignments?
Essay Topic 2
What does greed and the prospect of fame do to Smythe? How do these opportunities influence Smythe's life? What does it say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)