|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Freudenstein's maternal history that helps her gain British trust?
2. What kind of audience does Sotheby's gala mainly attract?
3. What is so important about the cairn?
4. What possible danger is there if M increases the Purple Cipher's level of deception?
5. What causes Bond to reach for a gun while he sits in his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
2. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
3. From what little is known about Oberhauser and his interactions with Smythe, what can the reader gather about his character?
4. Although Bond is there to return Smythe to England, how does Bond show mercy towards the man?
5. Describe Freudenstein in Bond's view. Why is he biased?
6. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
7. Bond attempts to identify the Russian spy, even before Lot 42 is exhibited. What does he do to prepare himself and what works against him?
8. According to Fleming, describe the four types of drunk in which Smythe falls into.
9. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
10. Describe the atmosphere of Sotheby's, the night of the auction of the Emerald Sphere? What are the rooms and people like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets in the Double O espionage world. Write an essay on trust between the agents and who they meet. How is trust affected in their personal and professional lives? What must Bond always be aware of? How is this shown throughout his assignments?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
Essay Topic 3
"007 in New York" is mainly to contrast Fleming's harsher words about New York in another article. Research New York as it is in the sixties and write about whether Fleming is valid in his opinion.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)