|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a usual way to signal a bid at an auction?
2. What condition is London in, in regards to crime and activity?
3. Of the following, which best describes Major Smythe?
4. What is the mood in the room, as Bond questions Smythe about his time in the service at the end of WWII?
5. What is Bond's personal connection to Smythe's crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
2. Although Bond is there to return Smythe to England, how does Bond show mercy towards the man?
3. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
4. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
5. Freudenstein works in London with the Purple Cipher. Describe Freudenstein's role in the espionage world.
6. As Smythe ponders his decision to either return to England or end his life, he remembers his social plans of the night. Why does this routine cheer Smythe up all of a sudden, despite his dislike for his daily life?
7. Describe Freudenstein in Bond's view. Why is he biased?
8. According to Fleming, describe the four types of drunk in which Smythe falls into.
9. When Bond visits Smythe, Bond does not reveal his true intentions immediately. However, Smythe's first thoughts are "They have... found out." What does he mean by "they" and what does this mean about his expectations of this visit?
10. Describe how Peter Wilson, the auctioneer helps set the tone and conduct of the auction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The genre of James Bond books are espionage/spy thrillers that usually consists of suspense. Explain how Fleming creates suspense in each of his stories. Where is the climax in each story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Smythe is hardly a man of determination, yet he feels the need to see through with his octopus experiment before he dies. Why does he feel this need? What satisfaction does this give him in the last minutes of his death?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)