|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bond feel about Freudenstein?
2. What disappoints Bond at the auction?
3. As soon as Lot 42 is done, where does Bond head to?
4. What is Smythe's initial reaction when he realizes Bond's purpose of visit?
5. How does Smythe get Oberhauser to stand exactly where he wants him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bond is not a major character in Octopussy and his role is very minor compared to his usual services for the British Secret Service. How and why does he enter Smythe's life?
2. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
3. Smythe considers court martial or committing suicide. Why is it better or worse if he decides one over the other?
4. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
5. Smythe expresses boredom with his life in Jamaica, yet he does little to change it. What stops Smythe from doing more with his boredom?
6. What significance is it to the British government to know that the KGB wants to pay Freudenstein?
7. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
8. According to Fleming, describe the four types of drunk in which Smythe falls into.
9. Describe how Bond and Smythe are careful about their word choice and speech as they speak about Smythe's service in WWII.
10. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smythe is given numerous options of possible ways to die, yet Fleming writes him a bizarre death. What is Fleming's purpose in having Smythe die the way he does?
Essay Topic 2
Considering all the stories in "Octopussy and The Living Daylights," discuss why Bond may have inconsistent feelings about being a Double O agent. What causes Bond to love his job but hate it too?
Essay Topic 3
Explain and describe the world of upscale jewelers and what it is like at galas, such as the auction scene at Sotheby's. How does knowing and understanding this world help Bond and make him a better spy?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)