|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens over time as Smythe spends his retirement in the Caribbean?
2. What kind of information does the catalogue give about the Lots?
3. What last hint does Snowman give Bond?
4. What disappoints Bond at the auction?
5. Where are Peter Wilson's eyes looking to watch for a signal from a dealer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
2. Describe how Bond and Smythe are careful about their word choice and speech as they speak about Smythe's service in WWII.
3. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
4. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
5. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
6. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
7. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
8. Smythe expresses boredom with his life in Jamaica, yet he does little to change it. What stops Smythe from doing more with his boredom?
9. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
10. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Common government laws such as that under British, American and Russian rule do not allow murder without punishment. However, each of these governments are fully aware of assignments that include snipers and murders to occur under government departments. According to each of these governments, when is murder necessary? When is it valid?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the British Secret Service and the KGB. Why does the KGB send a double agent? What are the risks? What are the benefits and consequences?
Essay Topic 3
The genre of James Bond books are espionage/spy thrillers that usually consists of suspense. Explain how Fleming creates suspense in each of his stories. Where is the climax in each story?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)