|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bond like the current state of crime in London?
(a) Cool on the outside, stressed in the inside.
(b) Bored with it.
(c) Excited by it.
2. What possible danger is there if M increases the Purple Cipher's level of deception?
(a) KGB kill Britain's double agent.
(b) The KGB send a second spy while keeping the first as a decoy.
(c) Freudenstein figures it out and deceive Britain in return.
(d) KGB finds the truth about its false messages.
3. What does Smythe make sure of when he sees the cairn he is looking for?
(a) That Oberhauser takes the correct route.
(b) That no one else is around.
(c) That he is on the right trail.
(d) That his revolver is ready.
4. What is Bond's personal connection to Smythe's crime?
(a) Bond and Smythe are enemies from a previous assignment.
(b) Bond looks up to Smythe's work in the service.
(c) The contents of the ammunition box are Bond's.
(d) Oberhauser is a dear friend of Bond's.
5. What department does Bond work for?
(a) Court of Protection.
(b) Ministry of Justice.
(d) Ministry of Defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Snowman no longer help Bond at the auction?
2. What signals give Bond an idea of what kind of news to expect from his boss?
3. What disappoints Bond at the auction?
4. What categorical drunk does Fleming group Smythe?
5. What causes Bond to reach for a gun while he sits in his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
2. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
3. When Bond visits Smythe, Bond does not reveal his true intentions immediately. However, Smythe's first thoughts are "They have... found out." What does he mean by "they" and what does this mean about his expectations of this visit?
4. What significance is it to the British government to know that the KGB wants to pay Freudenstein?
5. Freudenstein works in London with the Purple Cipher. Describe Freudenstein's role in the espionage world.
6. Why does the KGB go through troubles of sending an expensive jewelry piece with a fake provenance, rather than pay a large sum to their double agent?
7. Although Bond is there to return Smythe to England, how does Bond show mercy towards the man?
8. Smythe considers court martial or committing suicide. Why is it better or worse if he decides one over the other?
9. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
10. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)