|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disappoints Bond at the auction?
(a) Wilson does not bang his gavel at the end of an auction.
(b) There are too many people.
(c) He is unable to find the Russian Control.
(d) He is not given back up.
2. What is Smythe thinking when the octopus' tentacles reach out to him?
(a) That he wants to go in this manner than the long ordeal of court martial.
(b) That he is more at home here than on land.
(c) That he finally gets to "shake hands" with it.
(d) That the octopus is smarter than people give it credit for.
3. How does Snowman know when the under-bidder begins his bids?
(a) When the room is quiete except for Wilson's voice.
(b) When Metropolitan steps out of the bids.
(c) When Freudenstein no longer bids.
(d) When the Italian Institute calls off their buyer.
4. Where are Peter Wilson's eyes looking to watch for a signal from a dealer?
(a) Near the front and center.
(b) Close to Snowman.
(c) Far right hand corner of room.
(d) Near Bond.
5. What does Smythe make sure of when he leaves the hut?
(a) That Oberhauser is secured inside.
(b) The note he leaves is noticeable immediately by anyone who walks in.
(c) There is no evidence of recent use.
(d) The door remains open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens over time as Smythe spends his retirement in the Caribbean?
2. What gives away Wartski's notable stature?
3. What practical use does the Emerald Sphere serve?
4. What is Smythe's main duty when Germany surrenders in WWII?
5. How do scorpion fish hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
2. Why does the KGB go through troubles of sending an expensive jewelry piece with a fake provenance, rather than pay a large sum to their double agent?
3. Explain persona non grata and how its declaration of Piotr Malinowksi helps the United Kingdom.
4. According to Fleming, describe the four types of drunk in which Smythe falls into.
5. Signaling a bid can take many forms. What sly way does the under-bidder communicate with Peter Wilson during the auction of the Emerald Sphere? How is this harder to detect?
6. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
7. Describe the atmosphere of Sotheby's, the night of the auction of the Emerald Sphere? What are the rooms and people like?
8. Describe how Peter Wilson, the auctioneer helps set the tone and conduct of the auction?
9. As Smythe ponders his decision to either return to England or end his life, he remembers his social plans of the night. Why does this routine cheer Smythe up all of a sudden, despite his dislike for his daily life?
10. When Dr. Fanshawe, M, and Bond are talking in M's office, Dr. Fanshawe tends to look down when he speaks to Bond. However, he immediately looks up when asked about the Emerald Sphere. Why is this?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)