|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smythe want to see before he dies?
(a) His "people" to say goodbye.
(b) If an octopus eats a scorpion fish and its reaction to the poison.
(c) A priest for confession.
(d) Mary's grave.
2. What does Mr. Fanshawe focus his eyes on as he speaks with Bond?
(a) Bond's cuff links.
(b) The painting behind Bond.
(c) Bond's boots.
(d) Over Bond's shoulder.
3. Where does Smythe live?
(a) Nassau, Bahamas.
(b) North Shore, Jamaica.
(c) Key West, Florida.
4. What trouble does the ammunition box give Smythe?
(a) It's awkward shape.
(b) Its heavy weight.
(c) It's lack of a handle.
(d) It's tight lock.
5. What does Freudenstein do that exposes her true intentions for working with the British government?
(a) She burns a Russian flag to prove her loyalty.
(b) She commutes between Whitehall and the Russian Embassy every Wednesday.
(c) She works on her Russian to work as a double agent for Britain.
(d) She attends a Leningrad espionage school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smythe expect to get from the contents of the ammunition box?
2. What does M say to offend Dr. Fanshawe?
3. Where are Peter Wilson's eyes looking to watch for a signal from a dealer?
4. What does Smythe make sure of when he sees the cairn he is looking for?
5. What is Smythe secretly looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Smythe considers court martial or committing suicide. Why is it better or worse if he decides one over the other?
2. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
3. Bond attempts to identify the Russian spy, even before Lot 42 is exhibited. What does he do to prepare himself and what works against him?
4. Smythe arrests Oberhauser for false reasons and kills him. For years Smythe gets away with it. What does this say about events of WWII and its scary truth?
5. When Bond visits Smythe, Bond does not reveal his true intentions immediately. However, Smythe's first thoughts are "They have... found out." What does he mean by "they" and what does this mean about his expectations of this visit?
6. During Smythe and Bond's talk in the living room, Smythe is slightly more relaxed to know that Bond smokes cigarettes. Why does Smythe feel this way?
7. Bond is not a major character in Octopussy and his role is very minor compared to his usual services for the British Secret Service. How and why does he enter Smythe's life?
8. As Smythe ponders his decision to either return to England or end his life, he remembers his social plans of the night. Why does this routine cheer Smythe up all of a sudden, despite his dislike for his daily life?
9. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
10. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)