Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Smythe thinking when the octopus' tentacles reach out to him?
(a) That he finally gets to "shake hands" with it.
(b) That he is more at home here than on land.
(c) That he wants to go in this manner than the long ordeal of court martial.
(d) That the octopus is smarter than people give it credit for.
2. Why does Smythe arrest Oberhauser?
(a) To use him to carry down the ammunition box.
(b) To translate his papers.
(c) To use him as a mountain guide.
(d) To interrogate him.
3. What categorical drunk does Fleming group Smythe?
4. What sign indicates Smythe is lying when he says he cannot recall an Hannes Oberhauser?
(a) He twitches an eye.
(b) He gulps his Brandy rather than sips it.
(c) He shivers in 80Ëš heat.
(d) He breaks eye contact with Bond.
5. Of the following, which best describes Major Smythe?
(a) Fit and strong.
(b) Content in his life, but more hopeful for slow aging.
(c) Tired in his eyes, but with a strong body.
(d) Slightly bald with a saggy belly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Peter Wilson's eyes looking to watch for a signal from a dealer?
2. What does Smythe miss, despite his frustration when it happens?
3. What identifies Smythe to his crime?
4. What business does Bond have with Smythe?
5. What tactic is used to raise a Lot's price during an auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bond fail to kill Trigger despite his perfect aim at the shooting range?
2. Bond assumes his shot scares the living daylights out of Trigger. How is this a dangerous assumption and one that is not good for Bond?
3. For whom and why does Ian Fleming write "007 in New York"?
4. When Dr. Fanshawe, M, and Bond are talking in M's office, Dr. Fanshawe tends to look down when he speaks to Bond. However, he immediately looks up when asked about the Emerald Sphere. Why is this?
5. What are the purposes of the women's orchestra? Why do they visit the municipal building every night the week Bond has his mission?
6. Explain Bond's internal relationship with the cello player before he discovers the truth. How does this affect him?
7. In what way does Smythe lead his life? Is it successful or a failure?
8. Bond is first suspicious of a man at the airport. What thrilling story does he propose for the nondescript man?
9. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
10. What kind of man is Captain Paul Sender? What is his character type and how does this fit in his line of work?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)