|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do scorpion fish hide?
(a) They only come out at night.
(b) They camouflage with coral and seaweed.
(c) They hide in coral nooks and crannies.
(d) They bury themselves under sand.
2. Wartski's storefront can be described as __________.
(a) Subtle rather than ostentatious.
(b) Flashy like Cartier's.
(d) Too loud and ritzy.
3. In addition to Bond, who else is at Sotheby's to capture evidence of the Russian Control?
(b) An MI5 cameraman.
4. What famous artist is responsible for making the art piece Dr. Fanshawe mentions?
(b) Freudenstein's grandfather.
5. What marks the under-bidder is done and out of the auction for Lot 42?
(a) He takes off his sunglasses.
(b) He wipes his forehead.
(c) He straightens his tie.
(d) He brushes his nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which best describes Major Smythe?
2. What is Freudenstein's maternal history that helps her gain British trust?
3. How does Bond prepare himself in identifying a Russian spy the night of the auction?
4. What catches Smythe's eye as he looks over the files?
5. Against only what other art is the Emerald Sphere compared to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Peter Wilson, the auctioneer helps set the tone and conduct of the auction?
2. Describe Freudenstein in Bond's view. Why is he biased?
3. Signaling a bid can take many forms. What sly way does the under-bidder communicate with Peter Wilson during the auction of the Emerald Sphere? How is this harder to detect?
4. Bond attempts to identify the Russian spy, even before Lot 42 is exhibited. What does he do to prepare himself and what works against him?
5. When Bond visits Smythe, Bond does not reveal his true intentions immediately. However, Smythe's first thoughts are "They have... found out." What does he mean by "they" and what does this mean about his expectations of this visit?
6. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
7. When Dr. Fanshawe, M, and Bond are talking in M's office, Dr. Fanshawe tends to look down when he speaks to Bond. However, he immediately looks up when asked about the Emerald Sphere. Why is this?
8. Why does Bond visit Kenneth Snowman and is his visit successful?
9. Describe the atmosphere of Sotheby's, the night of the auction of the Emerald Sphere? What are the rooms and people like?
10. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)