|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Smythe thinking when the octopus' tentacles reach out to him?
(a) That he wants to go in this manner than the long ordeal of court martial.
(b) That he finally gets to "shake hands" with it.
(c) That the octopus is smarter than people give it credit for.
(d) That he is more at home here than on land.
2. What is Bond fearful of when he notices Smythe's reaction to his visit?
(a) That Smythe knows his own villa better than Bond does.
(b) That Smythe takes a suicide pill.
(c) That Smythe dies of a heart attack before Bond gets him to London.
(d) That Smythe has nothing to lose.
3. What is Smythe secretly looking for?
(a) Gold bars.
(b) A large sum of cash.
(c) Swiss gold.
4. What does Bond mention to seal the fact that he knows about Smythe's past?
(c) Aunt in Kensington.
(d) Foo brothers.
5. How long does Smythe make friends with "Pussy"?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) A month.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to Snowman, who else competes for the Fabergé?
2. How does Bond feel about Freudenstein?
3. What trouble does the ammunition box give Smythe?
4. How does Snowman know when the under-bidder begins his bids?
5. Who are Smythe's "people"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Signaling a bid can take many forms. What sly way does the under-bidder communicate with Peter Wilson during the auction of the Emerald Sphere? How is this harder to detect?
2. Smythe realizes the scorpion fish pricks him. What does Smythe concern himself with in the last minutes of his life? Why?
3. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
4. Smythe likes to swim and feed the fishes and octopus around his villa. Describe his relationship with the sea animals by his beach.
5. Smythe arrests Oberhauser for false reasons and kills him. For years Smythe gets away with it. What does this say about events of WWII and its scary truth?
6. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
7. Freudenstein works in London with the Purple Cipher. Describe Freudenstein's role in the espionage world.
8. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
9. When Smythe realizes he is pricked by the scorpion fish, what is his reaction and what does this say about his ability to feel?
10. When Bond visits Smythe, Bond does not reveal his true intentions immediately. However, Smythe's first thoughts are "They have... found out." What does he mean by "they" and what does this mean about his expectations of this visit?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)