|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bond fearful of when he notices Smythe's reaction to his visit?
(a) That Smythe dies of a heart attack before Bond gets him to London.
(b) That Smythe has nothing to lose.
(c) That Smythe takes a suicide pill.
(d) That Smythe knows his own villa better than Bond does.
2. What happens over time as Smythe spends his retirement in the Caribbean?
(a) He becomes happier and more at ease with the tropical weather.
(b) He becomes a drunkard who lets himself go.
(c) He forgets about his crimes and lives a life of ease working at the Institute.
(d) Everyday, he sees the guilt in his crime with his lifestyle.
3. What disappoints Bond at the auction?
(a) He is unable to find the Russian Control.
(b) Wilson does not bang his gavel at the end of an auction.
(c) He is not given back up.
(d) There are too many people.
4. How does Smythe get Oberhauser to stand exactly where he wants him?
(a) Pretends to see something afar and asks Oberhauser for his opinion.
(b) Tells him to move over for a picture.
(c) Asks him to take a picture of Smythe from a certain angle.
(d) Lures him with questions about the views.
5. What is Smythe in search of for Professor Bengry?
(a) An octopus.
(b) A rare coral.
(c) A scorpion fish.
(d) A butterfly fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Smythe's main duty when Germany surrenders in WWII?
2. What is Smythe secretly looking for?
3. What is Miss Freudenstein's role with the British Secret Service?
4. What does Smythe expect to get from the contents of the ammunition box?
5. Why is Smythe nervous of smoke and noise on top of a mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain persona non grata and how its declaration of Piotr Malinowksi helps the United Kingdom.
2. According to Dr. Fanshawe, how do the Soviets feel about their collection of arts? How does this help support evidence against the real provenance of the Emerald Sphere?
3. When Dr. Fanshawe, M, and Bond are talking in M's office, Dr. Fanshawe tends to look down when he speaks to Bond. However, he immediately looks up when asked about the Emerald Sphere. Why is this?
4. Smythe considers court martial or committing suicide. Why is it better or worse if he decides one over the other?
5. Smythe expresses boredom with his life in Jamaica, yet he does little to change it. What stops Smythe from doing more with his boredom?
6. What significance is it to the British government to know that the KGB wants to pay Freudenstein?
7. Describe the Emerald Sphere and why it is so revered amongst jewelers.
8. Signaling a bid can take many forms. What sly way does the under-bidder communicate with Peter Wilson during the auction of the Emerald Sphere? How is this harder to detect?
9. Smythe ruffles through papers when one catches his eye. Describe Smythe's actions when he sees the envelope and how his actions illustrate his character.
10. How does Bond show that he loves and thrives off drama? Give examples from "The Property of a Lady".
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)