|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Frank being held in prison?
2. Why does Carl tell Alexandra he has to go away?
3. Where does Emil find Marie after going to church after Amedee's death?
4. Whom does Alexandra say is the only friend she has besides Carl?
5. Whom does Alexandra say made her grandfather crooked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
3. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
4. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
5. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
6. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
7. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
8. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
9. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
10. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)