|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emil give to Marie when the lights go out?
2. How is Amedee's farm doing just before Emil leaves for Omaha?
3. What does Frank feel guilty about while riding away after finding Marie and Emil together?
4. What does Emil give for the auction at the festival?
5. Whom does Emil notice is missing from church after Amedee's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
2. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
3. How does Frank feel during the festival?
4. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
5. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
6. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
7. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
8. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
9. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
10. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Lou and Oscar are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)