|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Alexandra and Emil talk about after the festival as Emil prepares to move?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are the only people who truly own land?
3. Whom did Alexandra once spend a perfect afternoon with?
4. How long of a break does Emil want to take before going back to school?
5. What does Frank feel guilty about while riding away after finding Marie and Emil together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
2. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
3. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
4. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
5. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
6. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
7. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
8. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
9. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
10. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)