|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marie's expression in death?
2. What is the name of the man who marries Alexandra's personal servant?
3. Whom did Alexandra write to after Emil's murder?
4. When does Alexandra think of her fantasy?
5. What does Alexandra think is taking all her friends away from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
2. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
3. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
4. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
5. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
6. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
7. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
8. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
9. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
10. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)