|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At church, what does Emil feel rapture in after Amedee's death?
2. How many teeth does Annie Lee's mother have?
3. What does Alexandra say will happen if Carl goes away?
4. What does Alexandra promise to do for Frank when she visits him in prison?
5. What does Marie make for Emil during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
2. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
3. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
4. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
5. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
6. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
7. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
8. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
9. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
10. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)