|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Emil about Amedee's death?
2. Where was Emil shot?
3. Who finds the dead lovers?
4. Whom does Alexandra blame most for the murders?
5. What is scheduled in the church after Amedee's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
2. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
3. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
4. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
5. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
6. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
7. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
8. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
9. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
10. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)