|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Frank doing all day when he came home to find Emil's horse in his stable?
2. What does Marie do at the festival?
3. What does Amedee complain about while talking to Emil before he moves to Omaha?
4. What does Emil give to Marie when the lights go out?
5. What does Frank feel guilty about while riding away after finding Marie and Emil together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
2. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
3. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
4. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
5. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
6. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
7. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
8. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
9. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
10. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)