|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra say she puts all of her personality into?
2. What caused Amedee's pain?
3. Whom does Emil say Marie could love?
4. Where does Emil move after the festival?
5. How long has Frank known that Marie did not love him anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
2. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
3. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
4. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
5. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
6. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
7. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
8. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
9. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
10. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)