|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amedee complain about while talking to Emil before he moves to Omaha?
2. What do people call the area in the winter?
3. Who finds the dead lovers?
4. What does Alexandra say will happen if Carl goes away?
5. Who tells Emil about Amedee's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
2. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
3. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
4. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
5. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
6. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
7. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
8. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
9. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
10. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)