|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra think is taking all her friends away from her?
2. Whom does Emil say Marie could love?
3. Who tells Emil about Amedee's death?
4. Whom does Alexandra want to visit after Emil's death?
5. What strange thing does Marie consider a treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
2. How does Frank feel during the festival?
3. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
4. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
5. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
6. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
7. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
8. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
9. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
10. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)