|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Emil about Amedee's death?
2. Why does Carl tell Alexandra he has to go away?
3. What does Emil do at the end of the festival?
4. Why does Carl say Marie and Emil were the ones to die?
5. Whom does Alexandra go to church with during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
2. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
3. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
4. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
5. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
6. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
7. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
8. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
9. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
10. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)