|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra think is taking all her friends away from her?
2. Whom does Oscar blame for Emil's death?
3. What does Alexandra promise to do for Frank when she visits him in prison?
4. What time is the mass on the day of Amedee's death?
5. Who helps put Amedee in bed after he collapses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
2. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
3. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
4. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
5. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
6. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
7. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
8. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
9. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
10. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)