|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Alexandra blame most for the murders?
2. What does Frank do when he finds Marie and Emil together?
3. What does Alexandra say she puts all of her personality into?
4. Why does Carl tell Alexandra he has to go away?
5. Whom does Alexandra go to church with during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
2. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
3. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
4. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
5. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
6. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
7. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
8. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
9. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
10. How does Frank feel during the festival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)