|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Emil say Marie could love?
2. What led someone to find the dead lovers?
3. Whom does Alexandra blame most for the murders?
4. How long has Frank known that Marie did not love him anymore?
5. Why does Carl tell Alexandra he has to go away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
2. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
3. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
4. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
5. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
6. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
7. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
8. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
9. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
10. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)