|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marie describe the man who marries Alexandra's personal servant?
2. When does Alexandra think of her fantasy?
3. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
4. What does Alexandra promise to do for Frank when she visits him in prison?
5. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
2. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
3. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
4. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
5. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
6. How does Frank feel during the festival?
7. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
8. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
9. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
10. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)