|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Alexandra say made her grandfather crooked?
2. What does Marie find that reminds her of the old Frank?
3. What caused Amedee's pain?
4. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
5. Where does Marie go walking after hearing about Amedee's pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
3. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
4. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
5. How does Frank feel during the festival?
6. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
7. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
8. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
9. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
10. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Lou and Oscar are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)