|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long of a break does Emil want to take before going back to school?
2. What is Marie's expression in death?
3. Why does Carl tell Alexandra he has to go away?
4. When does Alexandra think of her fantasy?
5. How long has Frank known that Marie did not love him anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
2. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
3. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
4. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
5. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
6. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
7. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
8. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
9. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
10. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Lou and Oscar are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)