|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Alexandra write to after Emil's murder?
2. Who helps put Amedee in bed after he collapses?
3. What does Emil give to Marie when the lights go out?
4. What does Frank take with him when he goes searching for Emil and Marie?
5. How does Carl describe Alexandra's future when talking to her about it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
2. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
3. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
4. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
5. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
6. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
7. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
8. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
9. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
10. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)