|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many teeth does Annie Lee's mother have?
2. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
3. Whom does Emil notice is missing from church after Amedee's death?
4. Why will Alexandra never permanently leave the Divide?
5. Who tells Alexandra about Emil's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)