|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Alexandra and Emil talk about after the festival as Emil prepares to move?
2. How long has Frank known that Marie did not love him anymore?
3. What does Alexandra think is taking all her friends away from her?
4. What led someone to find the dead lovers?
5. Who finds the dead lovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
3. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
4. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
5. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
6. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
7. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
8. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
9. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
10. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)