|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra say she puts all of her personality into?
2. Whom does Alexandra want to visit after Emil's death?
3. How is Amedee's farm doing just before Emil leaves for Omaha?
4. Whom does Alexandra say are the only people who truly own land?
5. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
2. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
3. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
4. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
5. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
6. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
7. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
8. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
9. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
10. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)