|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra say will happen if Carl goes away?
2. What does Frank wish about Marie at the festival?
3. What do people call the area in the winter?
4. Where does Emil talk with Amedee before leaving for Omaha?
5. How many teeth does Annie Lee's mother have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
2. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
3. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
4. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
5. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
6. How does Frank feel during the festival?
7. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
8. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
9. What happens when the lights go out at the festival?
10. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Lou and Oscar are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)