|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emil want Marie to care about?
2. What is flying over the dead lovers?
3. Where does Emil NOT want to spend the next winter?
4. What does Emil say Lou and Oscar are jealous of Carl for?
5. What does Alexandra say she puts all of her personality into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
2. How does Frank feel during the festival?
3. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
4. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
5. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
6. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
7. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
8. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
9. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
10. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)