|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Amedee's farm doing just before Emil leaves for Omaha?
2. What is flying over the dead lovers?
3. Where does Amedee live?
4. What is the name of Alexandra's personal servant?
5. Whom did Alexandra write to after Emil's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
2. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
3. What does Alexandra want for Emil when he leaves after the festival, and why does she see this as impossible at the moment?
4. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
5. What does Frank think about as he leaves his farm after finding Marie and Emil together?
6. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
7. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
8. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
9. What does Alexandra do when she first gets to Lincoln to visit Frank in prison?
10. What does Alexandra say makes her mourning harder, and what does she do to ease this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)