|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of awards does Emil commonly win at school at the beginning of Part 2?
2. Who signs the mortgage papers that Alexandra gets?
3. What does Ivar live next to?
4. Whom does Alexandra take with her to look at the riverside property?
5. What do the furnishings in Alexandra's large farmhouse look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
2. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
3. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
4. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
5. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
6. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
7. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
8. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
9. Why does Alexandra feel safe marrying Carl?
10. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)