Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lou's wife?
2. Why does Alexandra want to keep her land when everyone else is leaving?
3. What does John say his wife misses most?
4. How many sons does Oscar have?
5. Where did Marie's father send her to stop her from seeing Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
2. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
3. What does Emil tell Alexandra when he and Carl return from the French country?
4. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
5. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
6. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
7. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
8. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
9. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
10. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)