|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alexandra want to keep her land when everyone else is leaving?
2. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
3. What did Alexandra install at her farm that was the first in the region?
4. What is Barney Flinn's occupation?
5. What does Lou say Alexandra has never done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
2. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
3. What caused John's father's disgrace?
4. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
5. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
6. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
7. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
8. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
9. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
10. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)