|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Lou and Oscar want to sell the land for?
2. What is the name of Emil's best friend?
3. Why did Marie's father not like Frank?
4. What is the name of Amedee's wife?
5. What is Barney Flinn's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
2. How is Lou described by the author?
3. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
4. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
5. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
6. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
7. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
8. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
9. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
10. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)