|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra tell Carl she hopes Emil will be some day?
2. Who goes to the French Country with Carl?
3. Where will Carl's father take a job after leaving his farm?
4. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
5. Why is Emil crying at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
2. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
3. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
4. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
5. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
6. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
7. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
8. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
9. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
10. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)