|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Marie raised?
2. What major new service is available in the area in Part 2?
3. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
4. What does Frank get so upset about after reading the newspaper?
5. What does Lou ask Alexandra when Carl is visiting the French Country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
2. How did Frank and Marie meet?
3. How is Lou described by the author?
4. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
5. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
6. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
7. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
8. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
9. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
10. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)