|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps eating Frank's wheat?
2. Why is Marie angry with the person Carl sees her with when he is walking alone one morning?
3. Where are Alexandra's personal servant girls from?
4. Whom does Carl see with Marie while he is walking alone one morning?
5. What religious sect does Marie belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lou described by the author?
2. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
3. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
4. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
5. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
6. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
7. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
8. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
9. What caused John's father's disgrace?
10. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)