|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra tell her brothers she wants to do when she returns home from looking at the riverside property?
2. What does Ivar tell Alexandra he is afraid of?
3. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
4. What does Alexandra say she envies about Carl's life?
5. What is the name of Amedee's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
2. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
3. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
4. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
5. What caused John's father's disgrace?
6. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
7. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
8. How did Frank and Marie meet?
9. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
10. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)