|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man was Marie's father?
2. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
3. Why does Carl like Ivar?
4. What is the name of Lou's wife?
5. What is Barney Flinn's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
2. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
3. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
4. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
5. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
6. How did Frank and Marie meet?
7. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
8. What caused John's father's disgrace?
9. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
10. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)