|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl say he never sees Marie do?
2. Why is Marie angry with the person Carl sees her with when he is walking alone one morning?
3. What kind of man was Marie's father?
4. What did John Bergson's father do for a living?
5. How much time passes between Part 1 and Part 2 of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused John's father's disgrace?
2. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
4. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
5. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
6. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
7. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
8. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
9. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
10. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)