|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivar tell Alexandra he is afraid of?
2. What does Carl say he never sees Marie do?
3. How long does Alexandra take to look at the riverside property?
4. Why do Oscar and Lou think Alexandra's farm prospered?
5. How much did Lou and Oscar want to sell the land for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
3. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
4. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
5. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
6. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
7. How did Frank and Marie meet?
8. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
9. How is Lou described by the author?
10. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)