|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marie angry with the person Carl sees her with when he is walking alone one morning?
2. What was Marie's father's name?
3. Why did Marie's father not like Frank?
4. What kind of awards does Emil commonly win at school at the beginning of Part 2?
5. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
2. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
3. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
4. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
5. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
6. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
7. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
8. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
9. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
10. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lou and Oscar are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)