|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious sect does Marie belong to?
2. What do Carl and Alexandra do during the days while he is visiting?
3. Where was Marie raised?
4. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
5. What does Frank get so upset about after reading the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
2. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
3. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
4. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
5. How is Lou described by the author?
6. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
7. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
8. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
9. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)