|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Carl and Alexandra do during the days while he is visiting?
2. What does Carl say he never sees Marie do?
3. How much time passes between Part 1 and Part 2 of this book?
4. What does Ivar read in his house?
5. How long does Carl stay with Alexandra before going on a trip to the French Country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
2. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
3. How is Lou described by the author?
4. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
5. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
6. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
7. What caused John's father's disgrace?
8. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
9. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
10. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)