|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Marie raised?
2. What religious sect does Marie belong to?
3. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
4. What is the talent held by Alexandra's favorite niece?
5. What kind of man was Marie's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
2. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
4. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
5. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
6. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
7. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
8. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
9. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
10. How did Frank and Marie meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)