|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Oscar have?
2. What does Lou say Alexandra has never done?
3. Why does Carl like Ivar?
4. Who signs the mortgage papers that Alexandra gets?
5. Whom does John Bergson say is his most intelligent child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
2. How did Frank and Marie meet?
3. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
4. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
5. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
6. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
7. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
8. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
9. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
10. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)