|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Oscar have?
2. What does Emil say Alexandra would never know how to do?
3. What causes hardship for the first three years after John Bergson's death?
4. Where are Alexandra's personal servant girls from?
5. What does Ivar read in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
2. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
3. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
4. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
5. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
6. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
7. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
8. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
9. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
10. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)