|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexandra tell her brothers she wants to do when she returns home from looking at the riverside property?
2. How long has Alexandra known Carl when he announces his move?
3. What does Carl plan to train himself to do?
4. Where will Carl's father take a job after leaving his farm?
5. What is the name of Lou's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
2. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
3. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
4. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
5. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
6. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
7. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
8. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
9. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
10. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)