|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
2. Whom does John Bergson say is his most intelligent child?
3. What does Amedee say is the natural cause of happiness?
4. Whom does Carl see with Marie while he is walking alone one morning?
5. What does Lou say Alexandra has never done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
2. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
3. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
4. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
5. What caused John's father's disgrace?
6. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
7. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
8. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
9. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
10. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)