|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivar read in his house?
2. What does Lou ask Alexandra when Carl is visiting the French Country?
3. What does Alexandra say she envies about Carl's life?
4. Whom does Carl see with Marie while he is walking alone one morning?
5. When does Marie say the world is the most beautiful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank feel during the festival?
2. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
3. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
4. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
5. How is Lou described by the author?
6. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
7. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
8. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
9. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
10. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)