|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alexandra install at her farm that was the first in the region?
2. What does Ivar read in his house?
3. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
4. When does Marie say the world is the most beautiful?
5. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
2. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
3. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
4. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
5. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
6. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
7. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
8. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
9. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
10. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)