|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Marie remember about Carl when he was a boy?
2. What does Alexandra hope Emil will do when he is older?
3. What is the name of Emil's best friend?
4. Why does Alexandra want to keep her land when everyone else is leaving?
5. Where does Ivar think he gets his spells from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
2. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
3. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
4. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
5. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
6. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
7. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
8. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
9. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
10. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)