|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
2. What does Alexandra want to buy from Ivar?
3. What kind of girl does Amedee tell Carl to marry?
4. How does Alexandra feel when she returns home after looking at the riverside property?
5. Whom does Alexandra ask to help her quiet Emil's cries at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Amedee's pain and how serious was it?
2. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
3. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
4. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter to him?
5. How does Emil describe Amedee's situation before he leaves for Omaha?
6. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
7. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
8. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
9. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
10. What does Marie ask of Emil after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant, and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)