|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lou's wife?
2. What does Alexandra say she envies about Carl's life?
3. Where are Alexandra's personal servant girls from?
4. What impresses Carl most about Marie?
5. What does Ivar read in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
2. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
3. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
5. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
6. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
7. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
8. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
9. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
10. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Alexandra presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)