|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the talent held by Alexandra's favorite niece?
2. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
3. What kind of girl does Amedee tell Carl to marry?
4. Who goes to the French Country with Carl?
5. What about Alexandria causes a man to flirt with her at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
2. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
3. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
4. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
5. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
6. How do Carl and Alexandra spend their days while Carl is visiting?
7. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
8. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
9. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
10. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)