|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Alexandra take to look at the riverside property?
2. What is the name of Emil's best friend?
3. Who sleeps in Alexandra's barn in Part 2?
4. Why do Oscar and Lou think Alexandra's farm prospered?
5. What kind of man was Marie's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
2. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
3. What does Emil do after leaving church after Amedee's death?
4. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
5. What does Marie think about when she sees Frank's old cane?
6. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
7. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
8. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
9. How did Ivar find out about the murders?
10. What does Carl say to Alexandra before he leaves her?
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)