|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oscar's wife so ashamed of?
2. What does Carl plan to train himself to do?
3. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
4. What is the talent held by Alexandra's favorite niece?
5. Whom does Alexandra take with her to look at the riverside property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lou and Oscar say to Alexandra about Carl while he is visiting the French country?
2. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
3. How is Lou described by the author?
4. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
5. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
6. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
7. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
8. How did Frank and Marie meet?
9. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
10. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Willa Cather have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)