|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lou's wife?
2. What did Marie remember about Carl when he was a boy?
3. What causes hardship for the first three years after John Bergson's death?
4. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
5. How does Alexandra feel when she returns home after looking at the riverside property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
2. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
3. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
4. How is Lou described by the author?
5. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
6. How did Frank and Marie meet?
7. What caused John's father's disgrace?
8. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
9. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
10. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Alexandra endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)