|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
2. What does Amedee say is the natural cause of happiness?
3. Why do Oscar and Lou think Alexandra's farm prospered?
4. What does Carl say he never sees Marie do?
5. Where do Marie and Emil meet to talk about Bohemians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
2. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
3. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
4. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
5. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
6. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
7. How has Alexandra's plan come to fruition at the beginning of Part 2?
8. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
9. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
10. What does Alexandria tell Carl when she meets him in town at the beginning of the book, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)