|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
(a) He never got it.
(b) He didn't know what to write.
(c) He wanted to surprise her.
(d) He did respond--it never got to her.
2. What does Amedee complain about while talking to Emil before he moves to Omaha?
(a) His wife.
(b) Terrible pains.
(c) His baby.
(d) His lack of sleep.
3. What does Marie do at the festival?
(a) Sing songs.
(b) Tell fortunes.
(c) Take tickets.
4. What is scheduled in the church after Amedee's death?
(b) A wedding.
5. Whom does Alexandra say are the only people who truly own land?
(a) The people who suffer with the land.
(b) The people who love the land.
(c) The people who respect the land.
(d) The people who earn the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Emil find Marie after going to church after Amedee's death?
2. What does Frank wish about Marie at the festival?
3. What do Alexandra and Emil talk about after the festival as Emil prepares to move?
4. Why does Carl say Marie and Emil were the ones to die?
5. What does Alexandra have a fantasy of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie say about the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
2. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
3. What does Emil ask Alexandra about their grandfather, and what is her response?
4. How does Alexandra describe her personal life?
5. What does Frank say to Alexandra when she comes to see him in prison?
6. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
7. What happened to cause Alexandra to harden her heart against Carl?
8. What is Alexandra's fantasy?
9. What happens to Amedee when Emil is about to leave for Omaha?
10. What did Frank do when he came home from drinking after Amedee's death?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)