|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say his wife misses most?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Old Country.
(c) Her dead son.
(d) Her music.
2. Who goes to the French Country with Carl?
3. What does John tell his children to always let their mother do?
(a) Sell her butter.
(b) Walk at night.
(d) Keep a garden.
4. What did Marie remember about Carl when he was a boy?
(a) He seemed perpetually confused.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He likes to draw.
(d) He was always sad.
5. What does Lou say Alexandra has never done?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the furnishings in Alexandra's large farmhouse look like?
2. Why is Frank angry with Mrs. Hiller?
3. What do Carl and Alexandra do during the evenings while he is visiting?
4. What is the name of Amedee's wife?
5. How old were Emil and Amedee when they first became friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie tell Emil to do in order to get what he desires from life, and what does he reply to this suggestion?
2. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
3. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
4. What kind of hardships has John Bergson faced in his attempts at farming?
5. What do Alexandra's brothers say about Carl as they leave the family dinner?
6. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
7. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
8. What caused John's father's disgrace?
9. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
10. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)