|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Marie's father not like Frank?
(a) He wanted to be a farmer.
(b) He didn't respect women.
(c) He was ignorant of foreign relations.
(d) He abandoned his mother.
2. What does Frank get so upset about after reading the newspaper?
(a) A rich man's divorce.
(b) The new president.
(c) The marriage of his old beau.
(d) The falling price of crops.
3. What does Emil say Alexandra would never know how to do?
(a) Be a friend.
(b) Fall in love.
(d) Move to the city.
4. Why does Carl like Ivar?
(a) He is interesting to talk to.
(b) He is different than anybody else.
(c) He is good with animals.
(d) He says nice things.
5. Why is Marie angry with the person Carl sees her with when he is walking alone one morning?
(a) He will not leave her alone.
(b) He is not staying for the weekend.
(c) He shot a duck.
(d) He took her glove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Alexandra's personal servant girls from?
2. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
3. Who goes to the French Country with Carl?
4. What kind of man was Marie's father?
5. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl witness between Marie and Emil one morning while walking alone?
2. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
4. How did Frank and Marie meet?
5. What does the author compare Emil and Amedee to while Emil is visiting Amedee and his new wife?
6. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
7. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
8. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
9. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
10. Why does Alexandra not mind housing Ivar?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)