|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older than Carl is Alexandra?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 5 years.
2. What did John Bergson's father do for a living?
(a) Built ships.
(b) Bred horses.
(c) Made ladies dresses.
(d) Owned a store.
3. What does Emil say Alexandra would never know how to do?
(a) Be a friend.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Move to the city.
4. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
(a) He is violent.
(b) He does not speak English.
(c) He howls at night.
(d) He stares.
5. Why is Emil crying at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is very cold.
(b) He dropped his ice cream.
(c) His kitten ran up a telegraph pole.
(d) He cannot find his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Marie's father's name?
2. What is the name of the town at the beginning of this book?
3. What did Alexandra install at her farm that was the first in the region?
4. Where do Marie and Emil meet to talk about Bohemians?
5. How much time passes between Part 1 and Part 2 of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amedee tell Emil he should do to be happy?
2. What does Carl say to Alexandra about Marie during their visit?
3. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
5. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
6. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
7. What does Alexandra decide to do after looking at the riverside property?
8. What does Alexandra say about her family when her farm hands criticize them for disagreeing with her?
9. What happens when Alexandra sees Carl in the garden?
10. What is Frank upset about when he comes home while Carl and Alexandra are visiting?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)