|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carl feel after seeing Marie while walking alone one morning?
2. What did Marie remember about Carl when he was a boy?
(a) He seemed perpetually confused.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He likes to draw.
(d) He was always sad.
3. Whom does Alexandra take with her to look at the riverside property?
(b) Her mother.
4. What does John tell his children to always let their mother do?
(a) Sell her butter.
(b) Walk at night.
(c) Keep a garden.
5. What causes hardship for the first three years after John Bergson's death?
(b) Sick cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of awards does Emil commonly win at school at the beginning of Part 2?
2. How many sons does Oscar have?
3. What does Alexandra tell Carl she hopes Emil will be some day?
4. What does Emil say Alexandra would never know how to do?
5. How does Alexandra feel when she returns home after looking at the riverside property?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lou described by the author?
2. What makes Frank furious when he reads the newspaper in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. What question does Alexandra ask Ivar about her hogs, and what is his response?
4. What does Emil think of Ivar's cave?
5. What is the common view of Emil in Part 2, and why is this so surprising?
6. What does Alexandra say to her mother to calm her fears about losing her farm?
7. Why did Marie's father not like Frank, and what did he do to get her to stop seeing Frank?
8. What caused John's father's disgrace?
9. What does Carl do to cheer Alexandria up when she returns home at the beginning of the book?
10. Why do Lou and Oscar take credit for the success of the farm?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)