|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carl like Ivar?
(a) He is interesting to talk to.
(b) He is good with animals.
(c) He says nice things.
(d) He is different than anybody else.
2. Who goes to the French Country with Carl?
3. Where did Marie's father send her to stop her from seeing Frank?
(a) A boarding school.
(c) A convent.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
4. Whom does Carl see with Marie while he is walking alone one morning?
5. What is Oscar's wife so ashamed of?
(a) Marrying a foreigner.
(b) Not having smart children.
(c) Being uneducated.
(d) Being associated with Ivar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impresses Carl most about Marie?
2. What does Alexandra hope Emil will do when he is older?
3. What is the name of the town at the beginning of this book?
4. Why is Emil afraid of Ivar?
5. What is the name of Marie's new husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lou described by the author?
2. What does Marie do when she hears about Amedee's pain?
3. What does Alexandra do while looking at the riverside property?
4. What does Alexandra tell Carl is the key to her success with the land?
5. What does Alexandra give Marie as she leaves the visit with Mrs. Lee?
6. What brings Emil joy while at church after Amedee's death and how does he feel about this?
7. How does Carl tell Alexandra he feels about his life?
8. What happened when Emil and Marie were shot?
9. Whom does Alexandra say are her only friends?
10. What does Alexandra say to Carl when he explains why he is going away?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)