|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivar not think Emil is in paradise after his death?
(a) He died in sin.
(b) He rarely went to church.
(c) He caused the death.
(d) He abandoned his sister.
2. What does Emil give to Marie when the lights go out?
(a) A letter.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A ring.
(d) A handful of studs.
3. Where does Frank ride after finding Marie and Emil together?
(a) The store.
(b) Alexandra's farm.
(c) The train station.
(d) The jail.
4. Whom does Oscar blame for Emil's death?
5. What does Frank do when he finds Marie and Emil together?
(a) Strangles them both.
(b) Whips Emil till he is dead.
(c) Stabs Emil.
(d) Shoots them.
6. Why did Carl never respond to Alexandra's letter?
(a) He didn't know what to write.
(b) He wanted to surprise her.
(c) He did respond--it never got to her.
(d) He never got it.
7. What does Marie make for Emil during the winter?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A painting.
(c) A hat.
(d) A book.
8. Why will Alexandra never permanently leave the Divide?
(a) She lives for the land.
(b) Emil is buried there.
(c) She built her life there.
(d) She is too hardened for luxury.
9. What does Emil ask Marie after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
(a) Why she married Frank.
(b) If she is happy.
(c) If she will ever love him.
(d) When she first realized her mistake.
10. What does Amedee complain about while talking to Emil before he moves to Omaha?
(a) Terrible pains.
(b) His baby.
(c) His lack of sleep.
(d) His wife.
11. What is the name of the man who marries Alexandra's personal servant?
12. What do people call the area in the winter?
(a) Iron country.
(b) The Divide.
(c) The wasteland.
(d) Dead land.
13. What is the name of Alexandra's personal servant?
14. What does Alexandra promise to do for Frank when she visits him in prison?
(a) Help him.
(b) Watch him hang.
(c) Forgive him.
(d) Visit him.
15. What does Frank take with him when he goes searching for Emil and Marie?
(a) An axe.
(b) His pistol.
(c) A whip.
(d) His rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emil do at the end of the festival?
2. What does Alexandra want Emil to stop doing after the festival?
3. When does Alexandra think of her fantasy?
4. What is the name of the hotel Alexandra stays in when she goes to see Frank in prison?
5. Who tells Emil about Amedee's death?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)