|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people call the area in the winter?
(a) The wasteland.
(b) Iron country.
(c) The Divide.
(d) Dead land.
2. What does Alexandra say will happen if Carl goes away?
(a) He will forget about her.
(b) He will find what he is looking for.
(c) He will never come back.
(d) He will be unhappy.
3. What does Alexandra want Emil to stop doing after the festival?
(d) Introverting himself.
4. Why will Alexandra never permanently leave the Divide?
(a) Emil is buried there.
(b) She built her life there.
(c) She lives for the land.
(d) She is too hardened for luxury.
5. At church, what does Emil feel rapture in after Amedee's death?
(a) The prayer.
(d) The children.
6. Where does Frank ride after finding Marie and Emil together?
(a) The jail.
(b) The store.
(c) Alexandra's farm.
(d) The train station.
7. Where does Emil talk with Amedee before leaving for Omaha?
(a) The dinner table.
(b) The fields.
(c) The barn.
(d) The front porch.
8. What was Frank doing all day when he came home to find Emil's horse in his stable?
9. Why does Carl say Marie and Emil were the ones to die?
(a) They were the best.
(b) They were not meant for this world.
(c) They asked for it.
(d) They tried to hide something.
10. What does Carl say Alexandra will always be surrounded by?
(b) Little men.
(c) Unimaginative people.
(d) People who love her.
11. What is the name of Alexandra's personal servant?
12. What is the name of the hotel Alexandra stays in when she goes to see Frank in prison?
(a) The Lamont House.
(b) The Lindell Hotel.
(c) The Lourdon Inn.
(d) The Lincoln Place.
13. What does Emil ask Marie after the wedding of Alexandra's personal servant?
(a) Why she married Frank.
(b) If she is happy.
(c) If she will ever love him.
(d) When she first realized her mistake.
14. What do Alexandra and Emil talk about after the festival as Emil prepares to move?
(a) The wild duck.
(b) Their father.
(c) The farm.
15. What does Frank wish about Marie at the festival?
(a) She were not religious.
(b) She were unhappy.
(c) She loved him.
(d) She were not so pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Alexandra about Emil's death?
2. Who tells Alexandra that Lous and Oscar are talking to Carl?
3. Whom does Alexandra say is the only friend she has besides Carl?
4. When does Alexandra think of her fantasy?
5. What does Emil give for the auction at the festival?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)