|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Emil crying at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is very cold.
(b) His kitten ran up a telegraph pole.
(c) He cannot find his mother.
(d) He dropped his ice cream.
2. What do Carl and Alexandra do during the evenings while he is visiting?
3. What does Frank get so upset about after reading the newspaper?
(a) A rich man's divorce.
(b) The marriage of his old beau.
(c) The falling price of crops.
(d) The new president.
4. What does John say his wife misses most?
(a) The Old Country.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her dead son.
(d) Her music.
5. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
(a) Loyal and intense.
(b) Kind and intelligent.
(c) Urban and smart.
(d) Determined and motivated.
6. What kind of girl does Amedee tell Carl to marry?
(a) A young girl.
(b) A strong girl.
(c) A French girl.
(d) A kind girl.
7. Who said wild things are too happy to kill?
8. Who signs the mortgage papers that Alexandra gets?
9. What did John Bergson's father do for a living?
(a) Made ladies dresses.
(b) Owned a store.
(c) Built ships.
(d) Bred horses.
10. Whom does Alexandra ask to help her quiet Emil's cries at the beginning of the book?
11. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
12. Who asks Emil to talk at the upcoming dance in Part 2?
13. What is Marie doing when she hears Emil's scythe?
(a) Churning butter.
(b) Milking cows.
(c) Collecting eggs.
(d) Weeding the garden.
14. What is the name of Lou's wife?
(a) Annie Lee.
(b) Amanda Jane.
(c) Amy Lou.
15. What is the name of Marie's new husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alexandra install at her farm that was the first in the region?
2. Why does Carl like Ivar?
3. Whom does John Bergson say is his most intelligent child?
4. What does John tell his children to always let their mother do?
5. What does Carl hope happens when he dies?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)