|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
(a) Kind and intelligent.
(b) Determined and motivated.
(c) Loyal and intense.
(d) Urban and smart.
2. Where will Carl's father take a job after leaving his farm?
(a) A shipyard.
(b) A horse ranch.
(c) A tobacco plant.
(d) A poultry hatchery.
3. What does Emil say Alexandra would never know how to do?
(a) Fall in love.
(b) Move to the city.
(c) Be a friend.
4. What impresses Carl most about Marie?
(a) Her warmth.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her humility.
(d) Her beauty.
5. Whom does Carl see with Marie while he is walking alone one morning?
6. What is Marie doing when she hears Emil's scythe?
(a) Collecting eggs.
(b) Churning butter.
(c) Milking cows.
(d) Weeding the garden.
7. How much time passes between Part 1 and Part 2 of this book?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 8 years.
(c) 16 years.
(d) 12 years.
8. What does Alexandra say she envies about Carl's life?
(a) His success.
(b) His happiness.
(c) His skills.
(d) His freedom.
9. What is the name of Marie's new husband?
10. What does Ivar read in his house?
(a) The Farmer's Almanac.
(b) The Sear's Catalogue.
(c) The Bible.
(d) An astronomy guide.
11. What was Marie's father's name?
12. What causes hardship for the first three years after John Bergson's death?
(c) Sick cattle.
13. Whom does Alexandra ask to help her quiet Emil's cries at the beginning of the book?
14. What keeps eating Frank's wheat?
15. Where are Alexandra's personal servant girls from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Emil to talk at the upcoming dance in Part 2?
2. What is Oscar's wife so ashamed of?
3. Why is Emil crying at the beginning of the book?
4. What religious sect does Marie belong to?
5. Why does Carl like Ivar?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)