|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Lou's wife?
(b) Amy Lou.
(c) Annie Lee.
(d) Amanda Jane.
2. Why does Alexandra want to keep her land when everyone else is leaving?
(a) She is too proud to admit defeat.
(b) She is sure rain is coming.
(c) She knows it will be worth money some day.
(d) She made a promise to her father.
3. What does John say his wife misses most?
(a) The Old Country.
(b) Her dead son.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her music.
4. How many sons does Oscar have?
5. Where did Marie's father send her to stop her from seeing Frank?
(b) A convent.
(c) Her grandmother's house.
(d) A boarding school.
6. Why do Oscar and Lou think Alexandra's farm prospered?
(a) They worked the land.
(b) The Lord blessed them.
(c) They followed their father's orders.
(d) She had good managment methods.
7. What do the furnishings in Alexandra's large farmhouse look like?
8. What does Alexandra hope Emil will do when he is older?
(a) Move away from the farm.
(b) Own a company.
(c) Work in politics.
(d) Go to college.
9. What do Carl and Alexandra do during the evenings while he is visiting?
10. What did Marie remember about Carl when he was a boy?
(a) He was always sad.
(b) He likes to draw.
(c) He worked hard.
(d) He seemed perpetually confused.
11. What did Alexandra install at her farm that was the first in the region?
(a) A thresher.
(b) A windmill.
(c) A silo.
(d) An irrigation ditch.
12. From whom does John Bergson say his most intelligent child inherited that intelligence?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
13. What kind of man was Marie's father?
14. How does Alexandra describe Emil while talking to Carl?
(a) Urban and smart.
(b) Determined and motivated.
(c) Kind and intelligent.
(d) Loyal and intense.
15. Who sleeps in Alexandra's barn in Part 2?
(a) Stable boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes hardship for the first three years after John Bergson's death?
2. Why does Ivar live so far away from town?
3. How old was Marie when she graduated from High School?
4. Whom does Alexandra take with her to look at the riverside property?
5. Why is Emil crying at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)