* The book starts out in Hanover, a small town. There is a big difference between the town and country people. It is January, and the city is very quiet.
* Emil, a five-year-old boy, is crying because a dog scared his kitten and she ran up a telegraph pole. Emil is afraid she will freeze.
* Alexandra comes out of the doctor's office and scolds Emil for bringing the kitten into town in the first place. She is dressed in man's clothing, but a man flirts with her when she lets down her hair.
* Carl comes along, and Alexandra asks for his help to save the kitten. He does so. On the way home, Alexandra tells Carl that there is no hope for her father.
* Alexandra is concerned about what will happen when her father dies. Carl tries to cheer her up by loaning her a magic lantern...
This section contains 3,025 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)