|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elavil, Tofranil, and Pamelor are types of what antidepressant?
2. Who does Solomon give a lecture on during his breakdown?
3. How old is Tina when is has her first breakdown?
4. What portion of high school students have considered suicide?
5. What is another word for "talking therapy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important for one to find a therapist that they like?
2. Overall, how does Solomon feel about those who say they have been helped by alternative treatments?
3. What does Solomon believe these depressed, impoverished people need?
4. Why is the fear of grief an important feelings for humans to feel?
5. What possible new depression treatments are being researched?
6. How is seasonal affective disorder (SAD) treated?
7. How does Solomon feel about mentally ill people who abuse their partners?
8. What does Hippocrates believe about depression?
9. What does Rufus believe about depression or melancholy?
10. At the end of Politics, what does Solomon implore his readers to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Solomon's passive suicide attempt. Why does he want to die? Why does he go about his attempt in a passive way? What does Solomon's desire to obtain AIDS as a means to death say about him?
Essay Topic 2
How does lack of money link to depression? Why are so many impoverished Americans depressed? What does Solomon say about getting treatment for them?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the author's mother's suicide in the book? Why is it significant to the rest of the book? What is Solomon's view of her suicide and about suicide in general?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)