|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before his third breakdown, how many therapists did Solomon see in six weeks?
2. What sort of men is Tina drawn to?
3. How many American children suffer from depression?
4. What drug can do permanent damage to dopamine systems and can make depression worse?
5. What drug does Solomon's great aunt take for her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Solomon wish to end his life passively?
2. How might television play a role in depression?
3. Overall, how does Solomon feel about those who say they have been helped by alternative treatments?
4. What is Angel's only source of happiness?
5. How does Solomon feel about the prospect of eliminating suffering?
6. Why is a depressive more likely to become addicted to alcohol than a person who is not depressed?
7. What is correlations between severity of depression and likelihood of suicide?
8. How does Solomon use a metaphor about finding a hole in the ozone layer to finding depression among the indigent Americans?
9. How does ecstasy affect the body?
10. How do many people describe depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Solomon feel about his own depression? What kind of person has he become as a result of being depressed? How does Solomon feel about life as a result of his depression?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the dilemma of social stigma and depression. How does society view depression and other mental disorders? What are some common misconceptions about the disorder? Why do you think people might be ashamed of their disorders?
Essay Topic 3
How does lack of money link to depression? Why are so many impoverished Americans depressed? What does Solomon say about getting treatment for them?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)