|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Betsy overcome her depression?
2. Who does Solomon give a lecture on during his breakdown?
3. When taking antidepressants, how long does it take to see noticeable results?
4. What is another word for "talking therapy"?
5. How much more likely are women to be depressed than men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Solomon feel about antidepressants?
2. Why is a depressive more likely to become addicted to alcohol than a person who is not depressed?
3. What role do diet and exercise play in treating depression?
4. Why is the fear of grief an important feelings for humans to feel?
5. What is Angel's only source of happiness?
6. How does Solomon feel about the prospect of eliminating suffering?
7. How does Solomon feel about mentally ill people who abuse their partners?
8. How was mental illness viewed in the Middle Ages?
9. Describe the four groups of suicides.
10. How do many people describe depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Solomon's use of a biographical-style narrative in conjunction with the research and information in his book. How does this mixture make his message more effective? How would the book be different if he wrote strictly about depression in an informative manner and left out his personal experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three alternative treatments mentioned in the book and explain how they are supposed to work. What is the author's opinion of them? Do they seem like they would be effective?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Lolly serve in the book? How does Solomon use her as an example of impoverished depressed? What kind of treatment does Lolly receive? What does Solomon want his reader to learn from Lolly?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)