|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the female prison escapees want the Escapee to donate?
2. Who does Lizzie say Walser is?
3. Which three characters stay with the Maestro?
4. What does Fevvers compare the sunset to?
5. What does Fevvers have on her mind at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carter express Walser's gradual character transition in book 3, chapter 3?
2. What sacrifice has Walser for his freedom in book 3, chapter 4?
3. Describe the character of the Escapee.
4. Describe the women's prison camp.
5. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
6. What is happening to Fevvers in book 3, chapter 9?
7. What is the only thing Carter presents as Walser being able to use to rediscover himself?
8. How does Olga bring new hope to the women's prison camp?
9. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
10. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Carter's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Buffot the Great and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Carter provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 2
A Night at the Circus is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first part show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What are the main themes of the second part of the novel?
3) How does Walser find himself in the final part of the novel? How was this theme of Walser finding himself developed in the other two sections?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the late 19th century. How does Carter express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)