|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the survivors been kept alive?
2. What does the Princess play for the tigers?
3. What do Lizzie and Fevvers find in the hut?
4. What does Fevvers call Walser?
5. What does the Escapee want the world to be run by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does book 3, chapter 7 highlight between Lizzie and Fevvers?
2. What is the only thing Carter presents as Walser being able to use to rediscover himself?
3. Describe the character of the Escapee.
4. What do the character do to occupy themselves on the train ride?
5. What is happening to Fevvers in book 3, chapter 9?
6. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
7. In what way can Lizzie be seen as a business woman?
8. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
9. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
10. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critically examine the negative and positive points of Nights at the Circus. Is it an accurate portrayal of late 19th century life? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
Essay Topic 2
Carter was a feminist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Carter's political ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Carter use character to further the plot?
3) How does Carter use dialogue to further the plot.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)