|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the elephants doing in this chapter?
2. What did the town mayor want the Maestro to open?
3. What does Fevvers have on her mind at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What stands in the center of the prison settlement?
5. How many elephants are alive at the train crash in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the late 19th century. How does Carter express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Angela Carter is one of Britain foremost feminist authors. Examine Carter's life. What kind of upbringing did she have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of her work?Why do you think Carter's novels were so relevant in the mid to late twentieth century and continue to be relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
Carter hints at problem between Russia and America as early as 1897. Using one example in the book discuss how Carter shows these problem. What do you think caused this problems? Are there still problems between the two countries today?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)