|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the tiger cage with Mignon?
2. What does the Duke use to spell Fevvers first name?
3. Which country are the band of men outlawed from?
4. Who does Walser come across in deep meditation in this chapter?
5. What are the women not allowed to receive in the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
2. Describe the women's prison camp.
3. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
4. What is the only thing Carter presents as Walser being able to use to rediscover himself?
5. Why have the outlaws been banished?
6. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
7. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
8. What do the Siberian tribes people believe about an expecting mother?
9. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
10. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fevvers' relationship with the following characters:
3) Colonel Kearney
Essay Topic 3
A Night at the Circus is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first part show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What are the main themes of the second part of the novel?
3) How does Walser find himself in the final part of the novel? How was this theme of Walser finding himself developed in the other two sections?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)