|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is name of the woman who owns the prison settlement?
2. Where is Walser in this chapter?
3. What gifts does Fevvers receive in this chapter?
4. What is the woman known as who finds Walser?
5. What does the Princess play for the tigers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
2. Why have the outlaws been banished?
3. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
4. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
5. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
6. What differences does book 3, chapter 7 highlight between Lizzie and Fevvers?
7. Describe the women's prison camp.
8. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
9. What is happening to Fevvers in book 3, chapter 9?
10. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nights at the Circus is written using elements of magic realism.
1) What is magic realism?
2) What moments in Nights at the Circus could you identify as magic realism?
2) Why do you think Carter uses magic realism for this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Carter's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Buffot the Great and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Carter provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples to support your argument discuss the following statement. In order to promote the role the woman plays in the book, Carter feminizes the male character or makes them emotionally weak.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)