|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the circus folk does the outlaw leader want to see in his hut?
2. Who does Mignon say she would never have an affair with?
3. What do the female prison escapees want the Escapee to donate?
4. What language does the outlaw leader talk to Fevvers in?
5. Who is the ice sculpture modeled after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
2. Describe the character of the Escapee.
3. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
4. Describe the women's prison camp.
5. What do the character do to occupy themselves on the train ride?
6. What is happening to Fevvers in book 3, chapter 9?
7. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
8. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
9. How does Olga bring new hope to the women's prison camp?
10. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carter hints at problem between Russia and America as early as 1897. Using one example in the book discuss how Carter shows these problem. What do you think caused this problems? Are there still problems between the two countries today?
Essay Topic 2
Carter was a feminist. Using two examples from the novel discuss the ways the story reflects Carter's political ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Carter? How does Carter use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)