|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the clowns play in their carriage?
2. Who does Mignon say she would never have an affair with?
3. How did Countess P. kill her husband?
4. What part of Fevvers' body is injured?
5. How many elephants are alive at the train crash in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
2. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
3. What do the character do to occupy themselves on the train ride?
4. What does Lizzie state is her opinion is of Walser in book 3, chapter 1?
5. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
6. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
7. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
8. Describe Maestro's story.
9. What does Fevvers discover about Walser in book 3, chapter 10?
10. What is happening to Fevvers in book 3, chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Walser's character. What is Walser's character background? What is Walser's motivation? Why do you think Carter specifically chose Walser's character to fall in love with Fevvers?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Carter's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Buffot the Great and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Carter provide the reader with information about that character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fevvers and Walser.
1) What is their relationship with other circus folk?
2) What are the similarities and dissimilarities?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)