|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ice sculpture modeled after?
2. Where is Walser in this chapter?
3. Which of the circus folk does the outlaw leader want to see in his hut?
4. What gifts does Fevvers receive in this chapter?
5. What are the guards at the camp required to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
2. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
3. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
4. Describe the women's prison camp.
5. Describe the character of the Escapee.
6. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
7. What differences does book 3, chapter 7 highlight between Lizzie and Fevvers?
8. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
9. What does Lizzie state is her opinion is of Walser in book 3, chapter 1?
10. How does Carter express Walser's gradual character transition in book 3, chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carter hints at problem between Russia and America as early as 1897. Using one example in the book discuss how Carter shows these problem. What do you think caused this problems? Are there still problems between the two countries today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Carter? How does Carter use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Carter's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Buffot the Great and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Carter provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)