|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Olga break the camp's code of conduct?
2. What causes Walser to break down into tears?
3. How many elephants are alive at the train crash in this chapter?
4. What does Lizzie wrestle with in the dark hut?
5. Who is the ice sculpture modeled after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fevvers condition in book 2, chapter 11.
2. How does Carter express Walser's gradual character transition in book 3, chapter 3?
3. What is the only thing Carter presents as Walser being able to use to rediscover himself?
4. What sacrifice has Walser for his freedom in book 3, chapter 4?
5. What does Fevvers discover about Walser in book 3, chapter 10?
6. What differences does book 3, chapter 7 highlight between Lizzie and Fevvers?
7. Describe the character of the Escapee.
8. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
9. Describe the women's prison camp.
10. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples to support your argument discuss the following statement. In order to promote the role the woman plays in the book, Carter feminizes the male character or makes them emotionally weak.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Carter's dialogue contribute to the following areas;
Essay Topic 3
Nights at the Circus is written using elements of magic realism.
1) What is magic realism?
2) What moments in Nights at the Circus could you identify as magic realism?
2) Why do you think Carter uses magic realism for this novel?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)