|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the circus call the band of misfits?
2. Who does Fevvers feel guilty about?
3. Who does Mignon accompany on a waltz?
4. Which of the ex-prisoners finds Walser?
5. Which country are the band of men outlawed from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
2. What sacrifice has Walser for his freedom in book 3, chapter 4?
3. What world has Walser's amnesia submerged him in?
4. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
5. Describe the women's prison camp.
6. What do you think is significant about the reindeer in book 3, chapter 8?
7. How is the concept of space and time explored in this chapter?
8. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
9. Describe Fevvers condition in book 2, chapter 11.
10. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Night at the Circus is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first part show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What are the main themes of the second part of the novel?
3) How does Walser find himself in the final part of the novel? How was this theme of Walser finding himself developed in the other two sections?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set in St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel playful,but at times sad atmosphere?
Essay Topic 3
Critically examine the negative and positive points of Nights at the Circus. Is it an accurate portrayal of late 19th century life? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)