|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lizzie think Fevvers is trying to be?
2. Who does Mignon say she would never have an affair with?
3. Where is Walser in this chapter?
4. What does Fevvers compare the sunset to?
5. How did Countess P. kill her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
2. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
3. How is the concept of space and time explored in this chapter?
4. Describe Maestro's story.
5. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
6. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
7. What is the only thing Carter presents as Walser being able to use to rediscover himself?
8. What do the Siberian tribes people believe about an expecting mother?
9. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
10. Describe Fevvers condition in book 2, chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Carter use character to further the plot?
3) How does Carter use dialogue to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Night at the Circus is mostly written in the third person. Why do you think Carter chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?Why does Carter switch to a first person point of view near the end? What does this express about Fevvers? Do you think Carter had to switch to first person to express this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fevvers and Walser.
1) What is their relationship with other circus folk?
2) What are the similarities and dissimilarities?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)