|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the clowns play in their carriage?
2. What did the town mayor want the Maestro to open?
3. Which of the ex-prisoners finds Walser?
4. What does the Princess play for the tigers?
5. How many elephants are alive at the train crash in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
2. Describe Fevvers condition in book 2, chapter 11.
3. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
4. How does Fevvers greed blind her to her problems in book 2 chapter 11?
5. What sacrifice has Walser for his freedom in book 3, chapter 4?
6. In what way can Lizzie be seen as a business woman?
7. Why have the outlaws been banished?
8. What do the character do to occupy themselves on the train ride?
9. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
10. Why do you think Buffo cannot continue to be a clown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in St. Petersburg.
1) What meaning does St. Petersburg bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in St. Petersburg?
2) How different do you think today's St. Petersburg is to the St. Petersburg in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's St. Petersburg?
3) How do you think the setting contributes to the novel playful,but at times sad atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fevvers' relationship with the following characters:
3) Colonel Kearney
Essay Topic 3
A Night at the Circus is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first part show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What are the main themes of the second part of the novel?
3) How does Walser find himself in the final part of the novel? How was this theme of Walser finding himself developed in the other two sections?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)