|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fevvers drink at her dinner with the Duke?
2. What does Walser call Olga?
3. What does the Shaman offer Walser to drink?
4. What is the name of the area to where the outlaws take the circus folk?
5. What has Fevvers forgotten that she hates?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do the elephants express their concept of freedom in book 3, chapter 2?
2. What new thoughts and characteristics does book 2, chapter 9 introduce about Fevvers?
3. Describe the women's prison camp.
4. In what way can Lizzie be seen as a business woman?
5. In what way is freedom a major theme in book 3, chapter 4?
6. What world has Walser's amnesia submerged him in?
7. Describe Fevvers condition in book 2, chapter 11.
8. Describe the clowns performance in book 2, chapter 10.
9. What do the Siberian tribes people believe about an expecting mother?
10. Describe Walser's initial meeting with the Shaman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the novel's plot.
1) Identify the main plot points of the story. How do they work towards a final resolution?
2) How does Carter use character to further the plot?
3) How does Carter use dialogue to further the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Night at the Circus is mostly written in the third person. Why do you think Carter chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?Why does Carter switch to a first person point of view near the end? What does this express about Fevvers? Do you think Carter had to switch to first person to express this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fevvers and Walser.
1) What is their relationship with other circus folk?
2) What are the similarities and dissimilarities?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)