|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it in Russia?
2. Which Russian city do they travel to?
3. Why are Walser's emotions in a state of turmoil?
4. What does the newspaper article claim that Fevver's is made of?
5. What time does Big Ben strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do you think Walser's decision to sign up for the circus was an important one to make?
2. What new element does Madame Schreck bring to the story?
3. In what way is class a major theme in book 2, chapter 5?
4. What problems does Lizzie face at home?
5. What is clown alley?
6. What changes in Fevvers character take place when she becomes the Winged Victory?
7. Describe the clown's interaction with each other.
8. How does darkness play an important part in book 1, chapter 4?
9. How does Fevvers escape from Rosencreutz?
10. What is the real reason Walser has come to interview Fevvers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critically examine the negative and positive points of Nights at the Circus. Is it an accurate portrayal of late 19th century life? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
Essay Topic 2
A Night at the Circus is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first part show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What are the main themes of the second part of the novel?
3) How does Walser find himself in the final part of the novel? How was this theme of Walser finding himself developed in the other two sections?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story and Carter? How does Carter use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)