|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What county's flag does Kearney replace with the American flag?
2. What has Fevvers suitor promised her?
3. What does Fevvers say Madame Schreck does not part easily with?
4. What item of clothing do Fevvers' wings rip through?
5. How does Walser try to gain his composure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the brothel where Fevvers first sets up home.
2. What does Walser see in Fevvers dressing room?
3. Describe Mignon's life story.
4. Describe how Fevvers learns to fly?
5. What imagery does Carter use to describe the ice cream shop?
6. In what way do you think it is significant that Walser is a clown?
7. In what way has greed been an important theme in this novel so far?
8. What pleases Walser about Fevvers in book, 2, chapter 8?
9. In what way is class a major theme in book 2, chapter 5?
10. What is the real reason Walser has come to interview Fevvers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Carter's dialogue contribute to the following areas;
Essay Topic 2
Night at the Circus is mostly written in the third person. Why do you think Carter chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?Why does Carter switch to a first person point of view near the end? What does this express about Fevvers? Do you think Carter had to switch to first person to express this?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Walser's character. What is Walser's character background? What is Walser's motivation? Why do you think Carter specifically chose Walser's character to fall in love with Fevvers?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)