|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal is Sybil?
2. What is the name of Lamarck's wife?
3. What do the audience bombard Fevvers with?
4. What does Fevvers say Rosencreutz has to do before she comes out of the bathroom?
5. Who does Walser try to persuade to let himself and Lamarck's wife into the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes in Fevvers character take place when she becomes the Winged Victory?
2. Describe the clown's interaction with each other.
3. How does darkness play an important part in book 1, chapter 4?
4. What new element does Madame Schreck bring to the story?
5. In what way do you think it is significant that Walser is a clown?
6. How does book 2, chapter 3 mark a transition in the relationship between Fevvers and Walser?
7. Describe Mignon's life story.
8. In what way is class a major theme in book 2, chapter 5?
9. Describe how Fevvers learns to fly?
10. What does Rosencreutz tell Fevvers during the meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Carter's writing style. How would you describe Carter's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Carter's style give to the story? Can you detect a distinct personality with her style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fevvers' relationship with the following characters:
3) Colonel Kearney
Essay Topic 3
Nights at the Circus is written using elements of magic realism.
1) What is magic realism?
2) What moments in Nights at the Circus could you identify as magic realism?
2) Why do you think Carter uses magic realism for this novel?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)