|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what happened to men who fell to the ground when they were being evacuated?
2. In Chapter 6, why were the prisoners running as they were evacuated?
3. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Wiesel by his father in Chapter 5?
4. What did Wiesel need to do because of his leg in Chapter 5?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, how many groups were the prisoners made to form?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
2. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
4. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
6. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
7. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
8. What argument did Wiesel have with his father at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
10. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Wiesel's writing style changes. In what way does his writing style change? In what way is the writing more matter-of-fact and less complex? How does this change in writing style mirror the changes Wiesel was undergoing physically? How does this provide a realistic picture of how Wiesel and the others were fighting to survive?
Essay Topic 2
Father/son relationships were tested in the concentration camps. What are some examples of father/son relationships that broke down in the concentration camps? How was Wiesel's relationship with his father tested? In what ways did Wiesel succeed at the temptations caused by the tests he endured? In what ways did he fail the tests he endured?
Essay Topic 3
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another individual or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)