|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person who Elie found in a pile of bodies do as Elie fell asleep?
2. In Chapter 5, what happened when Dr. Mengele called out numbers for another round of selection?
3. After Rabbi Elichou asked Wiesel about his son in Chapter 6, what did Wiesel remember?
4. What did Elie struggle to do when he found himself in the deserted village?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what was Wiesel's father's frame of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Wiesel's father not let him sleep in Chapter 6 while they sheltered in an old factory?
2. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
3. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
4. In Chapter 5, how did veterans of Buna describe the camp as it was two years ago?
5. What argument did Wiesel have with his father at the beginning of Chapter 8?
6. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
7. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
8. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
9. What was selection?
10. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wiesel and his father had a symbiotic relationship. What is a symbiotic relationship? In what way did the two of them provide support and nurture for one another? How did their symbiotic relationship benefit them as they suffered in the concentration camp? How did the relationship keep the two alive?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Wiesel viewed his image in a mirror for the first time since his imprisonment. How does he describe himself? Why will he never forget the look in his eyes? Why is it significant that Wiesel refers to himself as a corpse? What does that symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 3
Wiesel struggled with his relationship with his father throughout the book. How did Wiesel treat his father when they were first imprisoned? Why did Wiesel sometimes want to abandon his father? Why was Wiesel conflicted about how to treat his father? How did Wiesel's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)