|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elie find in the morning at the deserted village?
2. In Chapter 5, how many crematoria work day and night?
3. What happened on the morning of January 29, 1945?
4. What realization did Elie come to when he remembered the action performed by Rabbi Elichou's son?
5. Why did Wiesel return the knife and spoon to his father in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
2. What was selection?
3. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
5. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
6. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
7. Why could Rabbi Eliahu not find his son?
8. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
9. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
10. At the end of Chapter 6, how did the prisoners quench their thirst?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wiesel struggled with his relationship with his father throughout the book. How did Wiesel treat his father when they were first imprisoned? Why did Wiesel sometimes want to abandon his father? Why was Wiesel conflicted about how to treat his father? How did Wiesel's relationship with his father change throughout Night?
Essay Topic 2
The Germans used fire to get rid of prisoners. Why did the Germans see fire as a cleansing substance? How was fire used to destroy babies? Where was the place fire was used most frequently to kill prisoners? In what way does fire symbolize the anger of the Germans?
Essay Topic 3
Night is the story of events that took place during the Holocaust. How does the setting and the narrative create the mood in the book? How did the topic of the book set the mood? What is the overall mood of the book?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)