|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 6, when Rabbi Elichou asks Elie if he has seen his son, what does Elie say?
2. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
3. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
4. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
5. What does Elie's father ask Elie to do for him when they are in the concentration camp in chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the following two statements:
Adversity helps build faith and courage.
Adversity can destroy faith and courage.
1) Which statement do you agree with? Why?
2) Which statement would Elie agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)