|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
2. Why were there 100 passengers crowded together as they traveled in Chapter 6?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, how many groups were the prisoners made to form?
4. By Chapter 8, how did the existence of the chimney affect the prisoners in Chapter 8?
5. What is "selection"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what happened to Juliek?
2. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
3. How were the prisoners crushed into the barracks when they arrived at Gleiwitz in Chapter 6?
4. What advice did the Blockalteste give Wiesel regarding his father in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 6, how far did the prisoners run and what condition were they in when they finished?
6. Who was Akiba Drumer and what happened to him in Chapter 5?
7. What was the general attitude of the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. How did the prisoners celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
9. What was selection?
10. How did Wiesel feel when he heard blessings to God by the prisoners at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adversity can either strengthen or weaken a person. Considering Wiesel, his father, and other characters, was it more common for the adversity they suffered to make them stronger or weaker?
Essay Topic 2
Although the book is filled with horrifying experiences, there are some instances of mercy. Describe three of these situations and how they affected the individuals involved.
Essay Topic 3
The mood of the book does not change when the prisoners are liberated. How do the prisoners respond when they are freed? Does their emotional state change when they know they are free? Why are they still suffering, even though they are no longer prisoners? Why do the prisoners not show joy and elation at being rescued?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)