|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wiesel need to do because of his leg in Chapter 5?
2. Who did Elie find in a pile of bodies in the deserted village?
3. In Chapter 5, what happened when Dr. Mengele called out numbers for another round of selection?
4. How many steps forward was every prisoner instructed to take at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 6, why were the prisoners running as they were evacuated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Meir Katz and what happened to him?
2. What was selection?
3. How did the prisoners celebrate Rosh Hashanah in Chapter 5?
4. What was Yom Kippur and what debate was there over the day in Chapter 5?
5. How did Zalman die in Chapter 6?
6. Where did the prisoners take shelter in Chapter 6?
7. Why did Wiesel have to go to the infirmary in Chapter 5?
8. How did Wiesel feel about Rosh Hashanah in the past?
9. In Chapter 5, what was it like when winter came?
10. In Chapter 5, how did veterans of Buna describe the camp as it was two years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were warnings and predictions by people considered outcasts about the coming suffering for the Jews. Who was the first outcast that warned the people of Sighet of the coming trouble? What visions did Madame Schächte see? How did people respond to the warnings and the prediction? Why were the warnings and predictions ignored? What did Wiesel want his father to do when trouble was coming? What did Wiesel think might have happened if people had listened?
Essay Topic 2
Night is the story of events that took place during the Holocaust. How does the setting and the narrative create the mood in the book? How did the topic of the book set the mood? What is the overall mood of the book?
Essay Topic 3
When the German Army advanced toward Sighet, the people were not very concerned. What two warnings did they receive about the Germans? Why were the townspeople complacent about the arrival of the army? Did events ever cause them to lose their complacency? If so, how or why?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)