|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
2. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
3. By chapter 8, how does the existence of the chimney affect the prisoners?
4. What is "selection"?
5. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer all parts.
1) Why did the author choose Night for the title of the book? Give examples from the book that explain the title.
2) Do you think the title fits the book? Why or why not?
3) If you could give the book a different title, what would it be? Give reasons for your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Night, we learn a great deal about Elie. Answer all parts.
1) List four adjectives that describe Elie's personality. Include an example from the story for each adjective.
2) What is a value or belief that Elie has?
3) How does he act on this value or belief?
4) How does Elie change as the book progresses?
5) What causes Elie to change?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)