|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
2. What is the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they travel to the concentration camp?
3. In chapter 7, where are the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village being transported to?
4. In chapter 6, when Rabbi Elichou asks Elie if he has seen his son, what does Elie say?
5. By chapter 8, how does the existence of the chimney affect the prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the following two statements:
Adversity helps build faith and courage.
Adversity can destroy faith and courage.
1) Which statement do you agree with? Why?
2) Which statement would Elie agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What information or background should someone have before trying to read Night, so that he/she will understand it better? Explain how each item will help this person more fully grasp the themes in Night.
Essay Topic 3
Night is a novel that presents the atrocities and inhumanity of life in a concentration camp during World War II from a very personal perspective. These experiences can affect readers in very different manners. Answer all parts.
1) What issue in Night caused you to think the most? Why?
2) Which part of Night caused you to have the strongest feelings? Why?
3) How has Night changed or supported your thinking?
4) What would you like to remember about the story? Why?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)