|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
2. After the war, what does Elie learn about the Russians coming to the camp?
3. How does the SS officer treat Elie's father in Chapter 8?
4. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
5. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
Essay Topic 1
Several components of quality literature are
1) use of descriptive words;
2) use of analogies, metaphors and similes;
3) an attention-grabbing beginning;
5) appealing to the five senses.
Do you think Night is an example of quality literature? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the mood or feeling created by the story as a whole. How is this mood or feeling created? Be sure to consider setting as part of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another character or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)