|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
2. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
3. In what condition is Elie's father when Elie wakes up after the discussion with his father about his father's request?
4. In chapter 6, in yet another selection process, what happens to Eli's father?
5. What happens to Zalman, Elie's acquaintance, when he collapses with a stomach ache?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a situation in the story in which Elie acted in a way you disagree with. Describe the situation. Why did Elie act this way? What were the consequences of his actions? Why do you disagree with Elie's reaction to the situation? How would you have reacted? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Night is a novel that presents the atrocities and inhumanity of life in a concentration camp during World War II from a very personal perspective. These experiences can affect readers in very different manners. Answer all parts.
1) What issue in Night caused you to think the most? Why?
2) Which part of Night caused you to have the strongest feelings? Why?
3) How has Night changed or supported your thinking?
4) What would you like to remember about the story? Why?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)