|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
2. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
3. As the prisoners take refuge in a deserted village after the evacuation, where does Elie find himself?
4. What thought troubles Elie for the rest of his life?
5. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter one of Night, Moshe the Beadle has a certain reaction to deportation. Answer all parts.
1) Describe his reaction.
2) Was his reaction normal under the circumstances? Why?
3) Could he have reacted in any other way? How?
4) How would you have reacted in that situation? Why?
5) Explain the statement, "It's not what happens, but how we react to what happens."
Essay Topic 2
Elie is the author and also the main character in Night. How would the story change if it was told from a different point of view? Choose another point of view from another character or an outside narrator. What would the reader learn from this narrator that is different from Elie as the narrator? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following statement: Human nature wants to see beauty, not necessarily truth.
1) Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
2) Give examples from the story that prove or disprove this statement.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)